Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet Connection Problems, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2002, 10:30 AM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We have a problem with our Internet connection at work that we can’t resolve. The connection on our main machine is very erratic, It will connect maybe 1 time out of ten attempts and often drops the connection as well. If I try on my laptop or another machine it works perfectly every time so nothing wrong with the ISP side. The help desk at the ISP have talked us through the settings time after time and everything is set correctly, they are as baffled as us as to why it won’t work on this particular machine. We have had compuserve software installed at one point and they thought that the remnants of this could possibly be causing some kind of conflict but would not get involved with that at all. We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling our modem and drivers and also Dial Up Networking but the problem still remains. This is driving me nuts as we rely on this connection for various business related advertising applications and it won’t work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Les H
Old 29 April 2002, 10:47 AM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

What sort of machine is it? (Windows,Linux....)

What sort of connection is it? (ADSL,ISDN....)
Old 29 April 2002, 11:19 AM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Its running Windows 98SE and its a normal dial up connection with Freeserve, not ADSL or Broadband Etc
Old 29 April 2002, 11:27 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

If the other machines work perfectly, then it should be safe to assume that the signal up to the computer is good.

Have you checked that the modem itself is not faulty and that the phone-line that connects to this computer is not damaged? Try setting the modem to "Append to log" and see if there are any clues in the log file (it gets written to the \Windows directory).

Are you in a position to swap the modem out for another one? It's not always the software.
Old 29 April 2002, 09:48 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion David. I think its reached the stage now where we have to look at the modem and I will try this tomorrow. The strange thing is that I Use this machine to access a telephone banking service which is not web based and this seems to connect perfectly eveytime.

Anymore sugestions anyone?
Old 29 April 2002, 11:42 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sorry can't think of much else to suggest. A rebuild should see it right.

Try start/run "winipcfg"

It should come back with a windows detailing your ip connection info. I have seen a few computers that wont do that and comes back with a fatal ip error. Corrupt ip stack. Only ever fixed it with a rebuild.

H