Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unlocking an Iphone 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2011, 07:15 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlocking an Iphone 3GS

Been trying to unlock an iPhone 3 (iOS 5.1 ) with Redsnow without much success , I'm not bothered about jail breaking (whatever that is ) just want to use the phone with a different sim .
Is there a foolproof way of doing this ? It's the first time I have done anything like this and I'm finding it a chore to be honest.

Wouldn't mind paying for some software to do the job if I new for certain it would work . And this seems to be a lot of dodgy sites out there with geeky 14 year olds trying to get a few quid out of you .
Old 27 November 2011, 07:46 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this guide

http://www.spiritjb.org/2011/10/jail...d-ipad-12.html

Jura
Old 27 November 2011, 07:50 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

will your network not unlock it for you mine did lastweek that was vodafone did it for free anymore i want unlocked cost me £20 now dont know if its different where you stay
Old 27 November 2011, 07:55 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
will your network not unlock it for you mine did lastweek that was vodafone did it for free anymore i want unlocked cost me £20 now dont know if its different where you stay
Not sure I'm in Canada and need to use a Telus phone on a Rogers sim

I have tried the link above and still can't get it to work , I use the 5.01 ISPW file which it won't reconize , It will reconize the 5.0 and do the jailbreak , But when I try to boot tethered it won't work .
Old 27 November 2011, 08:36 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It isn't possible to do it if you have updated to the standard iOS 5.
Old 27 November 2011, 08:39 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
It isn't possible to do it if you have updated to the standard iOS 5.

The phone is on IOS 5.1 and according to the Redsnow website (and many other links
)it is possible
Old 27 November 2011, 08:46 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You can Jailbreak the phone (with RedSn0w) but you cannot unlock unless you have preserved a lower baseband (i.e. didn't apply iOS 5 via iTunes).

Have a read: http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-ios...ideo-tutotial/

Steve
Old 27 November 2011, 08:56 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

Firstly, there is no iOS 5.1 - do you mean 5.0.1?

Secondly, the Redsn0w website specifically says stay well away from using 'standard' updates (ie an iTunes update) to upgrade to iOS 5 (or 5.0.1) if you want to unlock - as you'll lose your unlockable baseband.

What iOS version and baseband version are you actually running (Settings, General, About - "Version" (probably says 5.0.1 9A405), and "Modem Firmware" (probably says 05.16.05)).

If you're on 5.0.1 with 05.16.05 then this cannot currently be unlocked - HOWEVER - you can upgrade to the iPad baseband (06.15) but you'll lose GPS functionality, but Redsn0w will then jailbreak (and then ultrasn0w will unlock)

Do you know if your 3GS is "old" bootrom or "new"? (If not, check the "Serial Number" in the About page - it'll be something like 88944P123AB. The "44" (ie characters 4 and 5) are the build week number. You really want this to be less than 40 to be sure that it's "old" bootrom and hence will have an untethered jailbreak).

Have a look here for a bit more help: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1255870

DN
Old 27 November 2011, 09:05 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Yes its on 5.01 which was upgraded via iTunes

And version is 5.01 (9a405)

Modem 05.16.05

Serial number 5K0507EC3NQ

I just want to use as a phone albeit on a different network , Not bothered about the other stuff , I was hoping I could just download some software and it would do the rest .

Thanks for the help so far
Old 27 November 2011, 09:12 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I would suggest the answer is 'no'. You can do it via updating the baseband (as Dr. No says) but you will then forever have to create custom ipsw files to update to another version of iOS ...

Markus is the person to ask about Rogers and whether they will unlock your phone. From his comments they appear to not be a very friendly network.

Steve
Old 27 November 2011, 09:33 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Well I upgraded to the iPad baseband (which seemed to go okay ) then tried to boot tetherd and it came back with a " unknown error "

Yes I was hoping Markus would help
Old 27 November 2011, 09:45 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Tried boot tethered again now its stuck with a pineapple logo and won't go any further
Old 27 November 2011, 10:02 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

What computer are you using to jailbreak? I did this a few months ago and was having all sorts of grief. Then found out the tools didn't like Windows 7 64 bit. Used an XP desktop and everything worked as it should.
Old 27 November 2011, 10:09 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phoenixgold
What computer are you using to jailbreak? I did this a few months ago and was having all sorts of grief. Then found out the tools didn't like Windows 7 64 bit. Used an XP desktop and everything worked as it should.

Its an iMac running 10.7.2
Old 29 November 2011, 02:07 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ooooh, me ears are burning, someone talking about me?

Ok, according to the serial number your iPhone 3GS was produced in December 2010. This means it's a new bootrom device. In addition, as it's running 5.0.1 and it's not jailbroken then it's baseband will have been updated. Both of these mean that it probably cannot be jailbroken or unlocked.

Did you just come off contract with Rogers? I ask as if you were with Rogers, and the phone can be proved to be registered on your contract, and the contract has ended you can pay $50 (probably plus taxes) and Rogers will unlock it for you. When it is unlocked this way you won't need to jailbreak it, and can happily upgrade / restore the phone and it won't lose the unlock, it's the same as purchasing an original unlocked phone.

If you go the Rogers route, do point out them them that they CAN unlock it. Originally when I emailed them about it they lied and said they did not unlock any devices at any time. Changed their tone when I pointed them at this. They said they don't have access to all the information, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, right, so tapping in "iPhone unlock" into your database yielded zero results, pffft.

Alas I've still got a while until I'm out of contract, but as soon as that happens I'm off somewhere else. I've no real need to be with Rogers, their customer loyalty is appalling, and I don't get any real benefit being with them. I'll probably go with Bell, got the landline with them so will get bundle discount for that.
Old 29 November 2011, 02:27 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Thanks Markus

Its the daughters old phone on a Telus contract and she upgraded to the 4S

Me and the wife have a family plan with Rogers and the wife wanted to upgrade her phone , But that would mean another 3 years with Rogers

So I was hoping we could unlock the 3GS and use the wife's sim card, So we didn't have to extend the contract with Rogers .

I didn't really want to take it into the local Rogers store , But looks like it's my last option .
Old 29 November 2011, 12:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, I'd suggest calling Telus first, seems they also have the same unlock policy as Rogers. As the phone is out of contract they should do it. Should not need to visit a store. All you would need are the contract details for the phone.

Once unlocked, you should be able to drop in a Rogers SIM and activate it. BEFORE you do that I would check to see if that makes any changes to your contract, would not be shocked to find Rogers would want to renew the contract for doing this.
Old 30 November 2011, 04:23 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Well I did ask the woman in the Telus store if she could unlock it for me , And she said just jailbreak it
Old 30 December 2011, 08:47 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

So after all this time I am still trying to unlock this bloody phone !!

Tried the latest release of Redsn0w and downloaded the 3GS 5.01 ISPW file and Redsn0w keeps telling its the wrong ISPW file , So won't let be go any further .

Tried the Pwange tool and that won't work either .

Itunes won't activate the phone because there's no SIM card installed , Tried using the SIM card from the network I want to use after unlock and that won't work, (Rogers )

Called Telus and they said just use Jailbreak its simple .. Yeah right .

HELP !
Old 30 December 2011, 10:26 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

So I finally jailbroke the phone , So then I installed ultrasn0w via Cydia but I still get no service when I install the Rogers sim card , According to Ultrasn0w its compatible with my baseband 06.15.00

Anyone have any ideas ??