Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cheap PCs at PCWorld/Currys

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2011, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Cheap PCs at PCWorld/Currys

Sorry about the swearing in the title

Despite their evils, I thought I'd spread the word that PCworld/Currys are doing a Lenovo h420 mini tower desktop for £260 inlcuding delivery (or collect at store):

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo...FcQf4Qodw1c_mg

I can't build a PC for less than that (with OEM operating system).

Bought one on Friday to replace our last remaining Pentium 3 workstation in the office (over tens years old now ). And have to say its not a bad little unit - 64bit win7 premium (no disks, as usual ), not too much bloatware installed; Mainly just office starter/preinstall, Kaspersky and some sort of Lenovo performance monitor.

Latest Celeron G530 - which is Sandybridge/LGA1155 so can be easily upgraded to later/better CPUs when they come down in price, it does fairly well on the passmark's benchmarking scores for a budget CPU. The only thing I can knock is its a little short of RAM, but thats nothing - 4gig of DDR3 only costs £15 on ebuyer so thats easily sorted, although it copes ok as it is. No DVi connector though, just VGA and HDMi, but the monitor it works with is VGA anyway, so no issues for me (and if it was, its is easily sorted with an HDMI to DVI adapter)

The closest price budget PCs I can find at that price is an discontinued Acer Aspire One (£20 more and older LGA775 board), and a Zoostorm at ebuyer (£200 but it has no operating system, which is another £70 to buy legit)

As some may say: Dip yer bread

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 November 2011 at 10:11 AM.