Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New PC time

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2011, 03:12 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New PC time

Asked about graphic cards and with the options available I've realised I may as well upgrade the whole PC (it's 6 years old)
Whilst looking I've come to the conclusion that it's bloody confusing picking a new PC or even upgrade bits.
I'm not into PC gaming but do like my RTS style games other than that I just use it for downloading and surfing the net but it would be nice to get that can run said game style easily.

So questions are
1: What processor to go for as the range seems enormous.
2: What power supply (e.g. is 400W really good enough to run the cpu and a graphics card?)
3: Which version of Windows 7 Home Premium as it comes in 32 bit and 64 bit

Places I've looked are Overclockers,Web-Systems and Novatech

Example of what I've looked at http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/b...bb-6204gb.html
Old 21 October 2011, 03:36 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't consider anything other than a Intel Sandybridge architecture chip (i.e. socket LGA1155) right now. i3 if budget it tight or i5 if you have a bit more to spend, Z68 motherboard, 4GB or more of memory, the rest is up to you.

Power supply - 400W is probably only just enough for a new PC, go for 500W or more for some overhead. Obviously rigs with multiple graphics cards require more.

You'll need a 64 bit OS if you want to utilise any memory you have over 3GB and most of the incompatibilities with 64bit have now been pretty much ironed out so yeah I'd go with Home Premium 64 bit. However get an MS Technet subscription (£150 for a year?) and you can try all the OS Microsoft have on offer
Old 21 October 2011, 05:55 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As above i3,i5 will be great,if you are looking best for buck

Power supply i would go with 400W or 500W,400W should be OK,with these new graphic cards(ATi are more power effective,nVidia are more hungry),everything depends on GPU(graphic card),how many HDD you have,CPU etc.

Windows i would go without the doubts for 64bit.

Here is this bundle which can tick all boxes

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/b...bb-i32124.html

You will need GPU(ATi HD5770)

RAM,yes you have 4GB,but extra GB RAM will be just good for you(these are great for money http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...l9d-8gbrl.html )

HDD(i would recommend 500GB-1TB WD Black,Blue,just don't buy Green which are not the best for boot and for gaming)

Jura
Old 21 October 2011, 06:17 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive just upgraded a few bits on mine got this case and powersupply not bad for the money

http://www.ebuyer.com/220863-coolerm...rc-330-kkpl-gp

needed more space so went for a 2 TB http://www.ebuyer.com/264274-wd-2tb-...cache-wd20earx i actually got it for £60 the price has gone up for some reason

I would try and go for an I5 if i was buying good bang for buck
Old 21 October 2011, 06:22 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just recently bought some parts for mine from Amazon, an Asus p67 motherboard, i5 2500k cpu and 8 gig Corsair Vengance ram. Cost about £280 three months ago so I pressume a few quid cheaper now.
Old 21 October 2011, 06:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

If your going i5 then I would be running a 700w psu with any new graphics cards, you will bite into that quite hard, though jura has said nvidia are more power hungry, there isnt alot in it, but dont under estimate how much power these will use, your best going for a power checker which gives you a more realistic outlook on what you will be using, think thermaltake do an online one.

Added

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 21 October 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 21 October 2011, 07:18 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If your going i5 then I would be running a 700w psu with any new graphics cards, you will bite into that quite hard, though jura has said nvidia are more power hungry, there isnt alot in it, but dont under estimate how much power these will use, your best going for a power checker which gives you a more realistic outlook on what you will be using, think thermaltake do an online one.

Added

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

Tony

Hi Tony

agreed on higher CPU i would go with 700W above,but if he not looking for overclocking i would stick with 500W/600W and as i said before depends on GPU.

These online calculators are not very accurate,but good for start.

Jura
Originally Posted by hutton_d
New PC - you MUST get an SSD for the boot drive! Then whatever-sized-HDD for your data. Best upgrade by far. I'd do it with my 7 year old PC but XP and SSDs don't play nice together ....

Dave
Not really,SSD is not essential,if you have fast HDD(WD Black or WD Blue,Samsung F1-F3),which can be fast enough for boot up.

With SSD will be faster boot up etc.,but still price for good SSD with good write and read speed are still expensive against the older style HDD,plus size of SSD is still too small for my needs,yes great for OS.

XP and SSD its not best,but with few tweaks should be OK,but still best results you can get with W7 or OS X

This should be help you tweak XP for SSD

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...o-SSD-friendly

Jura
Old 21 October 2011, 09:52 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Excellent answers thanks.
Old 22 October 2011, 12:00 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
What I'm saying is that for booting/ applications starting then the SSD is a vast improvement over an HDD. As this is a new PC it makes sense to get something that is vaguely future-proof. As I said, SSD for OS/apps and a large HDD for data.

As for XP and an SSD? Nope, especially as that link you sent was from 2008 ....

Dave
Dave i was said,SSD is great,but still think normal HDD is still fast enough and with some SSD you will not gain too much against older Raptor(10k RPM).

I'm running Patriot Wildfire which is 240GB and now is full of apps etc.(free space is now around 12GB),second and third disc is WD Black 1TB and WD Blue 1TB series which still are reasonably empty.And mine verdict is depends for what is PC,if its just budget build i wouldn't brother with SSD,if its for gaming PC i would go with SSD.

About the link for SSD,i forgot its from 2008,but these steps can be applied to present times...

Jura
Old 22 October 2011, 08:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Plenty of good tips actually nice to see everybody agreeing on processor and OS rather than the usual fanboiness of arguing about which is better i.e. AMD vs Intel etc

As for your points about SSD i was thinking about them I may get one as for your conversation with jura Think it's more of a discussion than argument

Thanks again all