Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

computer refuses to boot up

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2011, 06:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default computer refuses to boot up

Turned it on today it won't go past thr Acer welcome page.
It rither goes to adark screen, or cycles yhrough the welcome page, thrn black, then the welcome page again and again never boots up fully.
Anyone any tips?
TIA.
Old 09 October 2011, 06:53 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tap f8 on startup and select safe mode. It will then show you the files as it's booting, Will hang or loop on one which will identify your problem, in theory

Btw you have an e-mail?
Old 09 October 2011, 09:15 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

yeah what winston said

could be a possiblilty of a lot of diff things

if its only just started to do this, if u can get into safe mode, u could try a system restore to a few days or even a week before the issues started as sometimes wondows updates can really **** ya comp up. happened to me many times
Old 09 October 2011, 09:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Nope, nothing. Tapping F8 had zero effect when the welcome window offered me the possibilty of tapping F12.
Nor when the black page with white writing appeared. In effect. Nowt.
Old 09 October 2011, 09:26 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If all above fail check if acer have a rebuild partition may be a diff key like f10 or something

But if it keeps going round in circles then you'll probably have to repair it with a cd or it could even be hdisk but I hazard a guess it's a dodgy file somewhere
Old 09 October 2011, 10:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

First thing I'd do is try and boot if off a Windows CD, or any other reliable boot-CD such as a Linux installation CD. That would immediately tell you if it's a hardware fault (RAM, CPU, motherboard, power-supply, wiring short), or just software corruption or a dying hard-disk, which is always a good start.
Old 10 October 2011, 08:02 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you hdd is buggered

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2011, 08:35 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Ant, if it was ram it wouldnt get as far as the welcome screen imo,
are you trying F8 as soon as it boots, you dont press it after the welcome screen.
Old 10 October 2011, 09:15 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I was out of my depth so I've taken it to a local guy. Just hope I don't get stung too badly.........
Old 10 October 2011, 10:16 AM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

u shouldnt do really, like ppl have said, its most possobly a hardware problem, so if it is the HDD thats gone completely it wont cost much for a new 1, but then u will have more than likely lost anything you didnt back up on it. would also need your motherboard drivers disk after re-installing windows

only time will tell i guess once this guy has had a look
Old 10 October 2011, 06:09 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem recently on my daughters Acer laptop. It only booted to a black screen but its an easy fix. I popped the cmos battery out for about a minute then pulled one stick of ram out the laptop and it booted perfect. once I knew it was booting fine i replaced the other stick of ram.

It appears a black screen is pretty common on Acer laptops.
Old 11 October 2011, 12:43 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

sounds like its not getting to the OS phase i.e its stuck in bios. Can you access any bios screens?
Old 11 October 2011, 08:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Well it was apparently a corruption caused by tiny power outages we get here. (The electricity comes in via overhead wires with no insulation, and therefore tends to be affected by storms. Even one 20 miles away can cause our power to flicker.)

Anyway, back to normal, he recommends I buy a surge protector with battery backup. The one he had was €135, around £120, so I had to leave it. I'll look around for one.

Anyway, the problem was that the computer wasn't talking to Windows. He's fixed it and cleaned it up both physically and computerally, (?) having deleted Windows' own anti-virus, and put an aftermarket disc defragmenter and cleanup on there, plus something called Rocket Dock. It runs faster than it did when it was new.
Cost was €71, around £60, so not THAT bad, although I needed that money for a door..........oh well, c'est la vie
Old 11 October 2011, 09:19 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Hmmm sounds like he sugar coating fixing the mbr
Old 11 October 2011, 10:06 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Well it was apparently a corruption caused by tiny power outages we get here. (The electricity comes in via overhead wires with no insulation, and therefore tends to be affected by storms. Even one 20 miles away can cause our power to flicker.)

Anyway, back to normal, he recommends I buy a surge protector with battery backup. The one he had was €135, around £120, so I had to leave it. I'll look around for one.

Anyway, the problem was that the computer wasn't talking to Windows. He's fixed it and cleaned it up both physically and computerally, (?) having deleted Windows' own anti-virus, and put an aftermarket disc defragmenter and cleanup on there, plus something called Rocket Dock. It runs faster than it did when it was new.
Cost was €71, around £60, so not THAT bad, although I needed that money for a door..........oh well, c'est la vie
As Ant said, it looks like he was able to recover what corruption there was without completely wiping the disk and rebuilding Windows from scratch, so I would have to guess it can't have been very far gone.

As for the surge protector thingie, what you need to shop around for is a UPS, short for uninterruptible power supply. Not sure where to buy that sort of kit in France, but from the better mail order places in the UK you can pick up a reasonable one from around £45, give or take a few quid postage.

Last edited by markjmd; 11 October 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12 October 2011, 01:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

That's what I'd seen Mark.
Given that all my equipment originated in the UK, I'd just have to swap plugs again and put a French one on the inlet. Easy enough to do, but the one for the French router/modem would need an adaptor since IT'S plug is also it's transformer.

Going to search French sites and French e-bay tonight when I have more time.

Thanks for all the input lads, been a help.
Old 12 October 2011, 03:54 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have look on this

http://www.codemicro.com/store/produ...efurbished.php

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...se_sku=bk650ei

I think will do job for you

Jura