Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2011, 02:59 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband

Hi,,

Firstly can this be left in NSR please, as it's likely to get more views....

Does anyone receive their broadband via satellite ? If so what wireless router do you use ?

Cheers.
Old 08 October 2011, 04:23 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I'm intrested as well, you mean by Satelite as in a dish (like Sky perhaps) what sort of connection speeeds are available for this, prices etc...
Old 08 October 2011, 04:44 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

The satellite broadband comes with it's own modem, so any cable router will work - you can get them from PC World from about £35.00.

It works very well, you can get up to 10MB but that will cost you around £50 per month. There are a few tariff options and some are quite reasonably priced but there are 2 potential issues which may affect you.

Firstly, the latency is quite high so it's no good for online gaming, VoIP services, or thinks like the Vodafone sure signal.

Secondly, they all have quite restrictive download limits, but if all you do is surf the net and get your email, then it will be sufficient.

Jason
Old 08 October 2011, 04:48 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jsh1
The satellite broadband comes with it's own modem, so any cable router will work - you can get them from PC World from about £35.00.

It works very well, you can get up to 10MB but that will cost you around £50 per month. There are a few tariff options and some are quite reasonably priced but there are 2 potential issues which may affect you.

Firstly, the latency is quite high so it's no good for online gaming, VoIP services, or thinks like the Vodafone sure signal.

Secondly, they all have quite restrictive download limits, but if all you do is surf the net and get your email, then it will be sufficient.

Jason

Thanks,

I already receive BB via a dish with Avanti Broadband. I'm just unsure about which wireless router I'll need. So would I need a DSL router ? rather than an ADSL ?
The lead from the modem to laptop is ethernet.

Thanks.

Last edited by daddyscoob; 08 October 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08 October 2011, 05:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Thanks,

I already receive BB via a dish with Avanti Broadband. I'm just unsure about which wireless router I'll need. So would I need a DSL router ? rather than an ADSL ?
The lead from the modem to laptop is ethernet.

Thanks.
What you'll need isn't a wireless router at all, but a wireless access point or repeater. The reason being that with your setup, the decoding of the internet signal and the routing will be done by the modem box that Avanti gave you, so all you need your wireless box to do is feed data in and out of that box to and from your and anyone else's laptops in the house. The WAP basically acts as a bridge between the wireless devices in the house, and the wired network port on the back of the broadband router.

You can get perfectly serviceable entry-level ones starting from around £25 from online resellers such as CCL Online, Dabs, Scan, and various others, otherwise any independent computer shop should be able to order one in for you, if they don't already have one in stock, or you could even try PC World (expect to be badly ripped off though).

If you want more specific advice on what will definitely connect up to your broadband box, post up the model number off the box or feel free to send me a PM.
Old 08 October 2011, 05:30 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
What you'll need isn't a wireless router at all, but a wireless access point or repeater. The reason being that with your setup, the decoding of the internet signal and the routing will be done by the modem box that Avanti gave you, so all you need your wireless box to do is feed data in and out of that box to and from your and anyone else's laptops in the house. The WAP basically acts as a bridge between the wireless devices in the house, and the wired network port on the back of the broadband router.

You can get perfectly serviceable entry-level ones starting from around £25 from online resellers such as CCL Online, Dabs, Scan, and various others, otherwise any independent computer shop should be able to order one in for you, if they don't already have one in stock, or you could even try PC World (expect to be badly ripped off though).

If you want more specific advice on what will definitely connect up to your broadband box, post up the model number off the box or feel free to send me a PM.
Many thanks.

The box details are Hughes HN 9200
Old 08 October 2011, 06:03 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
Many thanks.

The box details are Hughes HN 9200
OK, it looks like that definitely has a standard RJ45 10/100 LAN port, so you should be able to hook it up to pretty much any access-point on the market. If it was me buying, I'd probably look at something in the TP-Link range from CCL Online or Component-Warehouse.

The box's actual effectiveness will depend to a great extent on where you site it and how big your house is, with the main thing to remember being that you can make the RJ45 cable going from the wireless box to the satellite box about as long as you like without losing any signal strength, whereas if the wireless box is stuck in a far corner of the house several rooms apart from where people are going to do most of their surfing, the signal is much more likely to be weak or variable.

Good luck with the install, and happy surfing

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2011, 09:42 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for your help.

Many thanks to the mod who moved the thread also

Last edited by daddyscoob; 08 October 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09 October 2011, 09:08 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

If what Avanti provide is just a modem then I'd def buy a cable router. You'd need that to provide the gateway to enable more than one device to use the connection unless Sat broadband is provided using a completely different model to ADSL and Cable.
Old 09 October 2011, 11:10 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kernel
If what Avanti provide is just a modem then I'd def buy a cable router. You'd need that to provide the gateway to enable more than one device to use the connection unless Sat broadband is provided using a completely different model to ADSL and Cable.
I've read the spec of the OP's Hughes HN9200 modem, and it claims to have a local router built-in with the following features:

Static and dynamic addressing
DHCP server or relay
Full RIPV1, RIPV2, and BGP routing support
Multicasts to the LAN by using IGMP
NAT/PAT
802.1P and 802.1Q for end-to-end VLAN support with
configurable QoS per VLAN
Firewall support through integrated access control lists

I really can't see any reason why he'd need an additional router on top of that, but I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone can see a glaring omission in required capability
Old 10 October 2011, 08:44 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

It's obviously not just a modem then, no need for a 2nd router.