Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Samsung take out injunction on Iphone 4S

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2011, 01:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Samsung take out injunction on Iphone 4S

You heard it here first
Its to do with the WCDMA technology it uses, think its Samsung getting their own back on Apple for Apples attempt to stop the Samsung tablet.

http://news.techeye.net/mobile/samsu...-4s-injunction

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 06 October 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06 October 2011, 02:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't hear it here first. I heard it yesterday, but anyhow. Is this more copying from Samsung? When will they stop duplicating and get back to innovating.
Old 06 October 2011, 02:16 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
I didn't hear it here first. I heard it yesterday, but anyhow. Is this more copying from Samsung? When will they stop duplicating and get back to innovating.

Think you've got that the wrong way round, it's Apple who has copied Samsung if the submissions to the courts is to be believed. Anyway nice to see a tit for tat battle going on between the two.

Most large US technology companies employ teams of lawyers who pursue alleged patent infringements day in day out and it's usually a good money spinner for those companies so nothing new really
Old 06 October 2011, 02:19 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Jack your so comically Apple biased. I'm sure Samsung are going to waste a fortune taking an injuction out on Apple if they actually had copied it.

For goodness sake stop your bleating (sheep gagg intended) and realise that Apple although they produce some fantastic products aren't the be all and end all of technology. I've got some products that sh*t all over Apple's offerings.

So please just for once shut the f*ck up and stop banging that Apple drum. Your boring same old stick in the mud stance is wearing more than a tad thin.
Old 06 October 2011, 02:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You miss the point and in doing so have labeled yourself. Is the Samsung case similar to the earlier Apple one? Comically so I say, just like a whole lot of other Samsung... things.
Old 06 October 2011, 03:11 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jack, CDMA has been around longer than Apple have not something Samsung could have copied from Apple
Wonder if they will bring one out on QPSK

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 06 October 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06 October 2011, 03:50 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony, your very own link states that Samsung "plans" to take out an injunction.

Text below with some key points highlighted

Samsung plans to beat Apple at its own game by seeking a preliminary injunction on the iPhone 4S.

In France and Italy, Samsung has sought to throw a further spanner in the works of Apple's 4S launch by getting its products banned.

Samsung has chosen the two countries because they're “key markets” in Europe, according to the Wall Street Journal, and is hoping that a ban could spread worldwide.

According to reports from Korean media it is a premeditated decision to try to hit Apple with an injunction - as the claws really come out during the ongoing patent spat between the two firms.

The preliminary injunction is sought on wireless technology in the 4S, which Samsung describes as “Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) standards for 3G mobile handsets”.

However, it seems Samsung may be getting ahead of itself with its lofty demands.

Unlike the patent cases Apple's blood-hungry lawyers have set before judges, Samsung is making its case with ‘standards’ patents - altogether shakier territory and very difficult to make a case for a preliminary injunction with.

Samsung contributed the standards to an international body with the aim of standardising 3G technology. These are then open to other companies wanting to use them on a fair and reasonable basis.

According to patent expert Florian Mueller at FOSSPatents, when such cases have gone to a court they are usually settled early. So, for a standard patent to be used to get a product banned before a court has ruled on it, as Samsung has demanded, is very unusual.

“Judges have a lot of sympathy for standards patents, and don’t think they should be used as strategic weapons to shut down products,” Mueller told TechEye.

“While there have been standards patent cases in the past, generally in the State, Samsung takes this to a new level by pursuing a preliminary injunction. The right way is for the court to make a decision, and only if Apple refuses to pay royalties can an injunction be discussed.”

Clearly Samsung is on the ropes and Mueller says that it is “willing to use any means of attack”, with the “irresponsible” use of standards one such way of getting at Apple.

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2011, 04:29 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Samsung should sue, the 4S is clearly a copy of the Galaxy SII.

Galaxy SII

Iphone4S

They've even done one in white, just like the Samsung.
Old 06 October 2011, 05:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Devildog, its basically Samsung getting their own back on Apple for them stopping the sales of their latest products, though tbh I doubt many people will be buying the Iphone 4S anyway

Tony
Old 06 October 2011, 05:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I doubt many people will be buying the Iphone 4S anyway
Famous last words.
Old 06 October 2011, 05:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by JackClark
Famous last words.
You think so?
Its not gone down very well with the public, they wanted something better but didnt get it, welcome to android Jack, this one has dropped apple in it for a while until they bring out the Iphone 5.

Tony
Old 06 October 2011, 05:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

OK Tony, six months 4s sales vs Android..., pick your own phone, any phone.
Old 06 October 2011, 06:57 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

That would be a reasonable challenge had android only been available on one manufacturer's phones.

I wonder if you'd be so confident if you compared total android sales to total IOS sales.
Old 06 October 2011, 07:16 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunately as "fashion" statements go..... if you aint got an iPhone you aint "in". That notion alone will (I suspect) keep the Apple brand above the rest for the time being. Of course as soon as a "proper" successor to the iPhone4 is released, the 5, we all know it will be to Apples favour and the "others" disgust.

I have no idea what the take-up of the 3gs was over the 3g..... but for Apple to do what they have done with the 4, I suspect must of been done for a solid business reason.

The fact that Apple have managed to still be ahead with all intent and purpose, a couple of phone models, over a number of years is something the "others" are, I'm sure, extremely dumb founded over.

The brand and subsequent sales, has never been about what "is best"..... as with most things in life, that never guarantees you the top spot.

All imo of course.