Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why is buying a new PC so complex

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2011, 09:41 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is buying a new PC so complex

I need a new family PC. It needs to do family stuff, but I'd also like to play a few games. GT legends springs to mind.

Would a modern PC play these games without the need for an extra graphics card?

Would a £300 jobbie from PC world do the job?

I'd love to get a MAC as they only have a few to choose from, but feel I'd miss playing the odd game, and end up with a lovely look computer that is just used for web surfing!
Old 03 October 2011, 09:59 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No on newer games,you will need extra graphic card,but at these times you will be OK with ATi HD5770 which now cost under £80.

And please don't buy PC from PC world,depends where are you located,just search online for deals and if you are not sure,post here and someone will help you

About the Mac,depends what graphic card is there,if its there Intel HD,this grpahic card is good for just watching movies in HD,etc.,but not for gaming but if its there nVidia graphic card,this can play newer games in nice resolution with nice details

Jura
Old 03 October 2011, 10:11 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

If you want to play the newer games these links should help;

Full Graphics Card Hierarchy

Battlefield 3 Specs

From the sounds of it you don't need a high spec computer. £500 can buy you a pretty decent computer these days. £300 would be a budget computer and would struggle to play anything remotely good.
Old 03 October 2011, 10:28 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

buy a mac and then by an xbox,

sorted
Old 03 October 2011, 10:50 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I already have a PS3.

Does GT Legends run on XBOX?

Not really that interested in modern games.
Old 03 October 2011, 10:55 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I already have a PS3.

Does GT Legends run on XBOX?

Not really that interested in modern games.
Not really GT Legends is only for PC

For this game you will be really OK with 5770

Jura
Old 03 October 2011, 11:07 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
buy a mac and then by an xbox,

sorted
I like that, £1200 to do something that £400 would so just as well.

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2011, 11:18 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
I like that, £1200 to do something that £400 would so just as well.

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 03 October 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03 October 2011, 12:28 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Get a new Mac Mini off Ebay for around 460...
Old 03 October 2011, 12:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i did that as well when he said it lol
Old 03 October 2011, 12:34 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

In case you haven't noticed he's not after a powerful computer. Why pay 3x as much for his needs?
Old 03 October 2011, 12:40 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

In case you haven't noticed he's not after a powerful computer. Why pay 3x as much for his needs?
im yet to see an xbox word proccess, surf, play games as well as a pc to date.

my machine cost me £800 and it wipes the floor with ps3 and xbox. so thats only double
Old 03 October 2011, 12:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd pay 3x the price for quality and service. I do it all the time as I'm fortunate enough to have the choice. Buy cheap buy twice.
Old 03 October 2011, 12:48 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

bargains can be had on macs I saw an imac 27" refurb for about £650 but the main problem is he mentioned gaming, the recommended video card for Battlefield is £150! http://www.pc-titan.com/product_info...out--full.html

and thats not even the best available and you can bet your bottom dollar that by christmas you will be lucky to run any game on that video card you will need something twice as powerful, thats why I have never understood gaming on PC's (and I have tried back when I used to have a packard bell 486 DX2-66) every game that comes out requires more ram, bigger memory card and a faster CPU.

If you want a cheap PC get one for £200 - £300 and then bin it in 18 months / 2 years (maybe push it to 3 years if your lucky) but don't try and keep upgrading it to play games it will be a bottomless pit....and don't forget that new video card won't fit your motherboard because the sockets not the same or it needs more power or your case is too small etc etc etc
Old 03 October 2011, 12:56 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
About the Mac,depends what graphic card is there,if its there Intel HD,this grpahic card is good for just watching movies in HD,etc.,but not for gaming but if its there nVidia graphic card,this can play newer games in nice resolution with nice details
Wow, it's hard to read when there is no space after a comma!!!

Old 03 October 2011, 12:56 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy

my machine cost me £800 and it wipes the floor with ps3 and xbox. so thats only double
A Mac and an Xbox will come to £1200
bargains can be had on macs I saw an imac 27" refurb for about £650 but the main problem is he mentioned gaming, the recommended video card for Battlefield is £150! http://www.pc-titan.com/product_info...out--full.html

and thats not even the best available and you can bet your bottom dollar that by christmas you will be lucky to run any game on that video card you will need something twice as powerful, thats why I have never understood gaming on PC's (and I have tried back when I used to have a packard bell 486 DX2-66) every game that comes out requires more ram, bigger memory card and a faster CPU.

If you want a cheap PC get one for £200 - £300 and then bin it in 18 months / 2 years (maybe push it to 3 years if your lucky) but don't try and keep upgrading it to play games it will be a bottomless pit....and don't forget that new video card won't fit your motherboard because the sockets not the same or it needs more power or your case is too small etc etc etc
That is true but he said he's not after playing games like BF. He only needs a low end graphics card.
Old 03 October 2011, 12:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

A Mac and an Xbox will come to £1200
get a pc and you dont ned an xbox or a mac lol

so thats 400 off at least lol
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

also on a slight sidenote, you may not be able to run gt legends on a new machine. Just to further muddy the waters
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

get a pc and you dont ned an xbox or a mac lol

so thats 400 off at least lol
That's what I'm saying
Old 03 October 2011, 01:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

dell xps 8300 aint bad as a starter machine, £549, monitor from pc worls at 140 and for uder 700 you;ll have a decent machine
Old 03 October 2011, 01:16 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

How to say in most games,CPU power is not everything,what counts in most games is GPU.

As i said before out there is few games which support Duo or quad core CPU,i've tested few months back P4 clocked on 3.3GHz and mine i7-930 clocked on 4.3Ghz with same specs,just i7 have more RAM(unfortunately older P4 don't support DDR3) and same GPU(5870) and from mine test with P4 games has been OK(i've tested like new games like older),with i7 i've get 10-15fps more,but mostly games on P4 has have around 70-90fps on highest detail etc.

About the PS3 and xbox 360 try install on your PC PS3 emulator,you will be surprised with like your PC is slow with this,same like with Xbox 360 emulator.

Just try install PS2 or PS3 emulator ,you will see what i mean.

Jura
Originally Posted by JackClark
I'd pay 3x the price for quality and service. I do it all the time as I'm fortunate enough to have the choice. Buy cheap buy twice.
Quiet agree with quality and service,but not with price.We all have choice like me or you,just depends on what you want from your Mac/Apple PC

Jura

This recommended graphic card is overpriced,you can buy easily this car used on eBay for lot less

Older GTX260 or even Ati 5770 cost less like this new,if you fortunate you should buy 2x ATi 5770 for price of this card.

You are still living in world when everything needs to upgrade every few months/years,in meantime all games are almost same(just Crysis pushing boundaries higher) are build with same tools and mainly 2 year PC still can play new games without the doubts,just you are need better GPU(Graphic card)

All new graphic cards are PCI Express,no need buying new motherboard(yes before has been AGP format,which thankfully don't exist),because all motherboard have this port.
Almost all cases will take these cards,out are usually too slimmer version of GPU and don't take too much power from PSU(but depends on GPU)

Jura
Old 03 October 2011, 01:19 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

The only reason to get a new MB these days is to change the CPU.
Old 03 October 2011, 01:21 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Bought my last pc from Overclockers.

Really pleased, they have some bargains on there as well. I ended up moving my gaming pc into work to cope with all of my day to day stuff as I stopped getting time to play games.
Old 03 October 2011, 01:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
About the PS3 and xbox 360 try install on your PC PS3 emulator,you will be surprised with like your PC is slow with this,same like with Xbox 360 emulator.

Just try install PS2 or PS3 emulator ,you will see what i mean.
im yet to find a decent emulator, but dont forget emulators are just that, there basicly fudging it to work and they wont be the best encoding known to man due to them being mainly by amatures and not having anywhere near as much dev input as the real thing.

best bet is get a game on both and see what there like. Although be carefull what you choose, some are just copied across using emulation so not true games for that specific platform, thast the real test
Old 03 October 2011, 01:37 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

The only reason to get a new MB these days is to change the CPU.
Agreed on this

Jura
Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Bought my last pc from Overclockers.

Really pleased, they have some bargains on there as well. I ended up moving my gaming pc into work to cope with all of my day to day stuff as I stopped getting time to play games.
Overclockers UK are great i must admit,there are sometimes great bargians

Jura

im yet to find a decent emulator, but dont forget emulators are just that, there basicly fudging it to work and they wont be the best encoding known to man due to them being mainly by amatures and not having anywhere near as much dev input as the real thing.

best bet is get a game on both and see what there like. Although be carefull what you choose, some are just copied across using emulation so not true games for that specific platform, thast the real test
I know,emulators are not the best,but if you find cheap PS3 DevKit or Xbox360 devkit under £1k,these DevKits cost more than any PC or mac out there,PS3 Devkit cost £7k an Xbox 360 $100 just for XNA and for proper Devkit ask Bill,i'm sure you will be surprised

Agree best is try play games like on PC or consoles,but sometimes is good too have both like me

Few months back my friend tried play GT4 on PC via PS2 emulator,what pain to play,never ever

Jura
Old 04 October 2011, 11:00 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Still none the wiser.
Old 04 October 2011, 11:13 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Still none the wiser.
how about something like this:

cheap but ok PC, not quite as good as a mac but cheaper and you still have money for an xbox or video card

add a monitor for £100 - £150 and you are good to go

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 04 October 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04 October 2011, 12:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I would rather build my own PC given the choice, that way you know exactly what you are getting to meet your needs. This is what I've always done. However, if you are looking for an off the shelf product, bare in mind that most PCs are pretty generic inside, but I would consider this as a minimum spec, given the budget:

Intel i3 processor
4GB Memory
1TB hard disk

The i3 processor's in built graphics chip should be sufficient for a game written in 2004, but if you want full details enabled then you're probably better getting something like a low to mid range graphics card like ATI HD 6570 or Nvidia GTS 450.
Old 04 October 2011, 02:41 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I've agree,best to do is build own PC and is easy to build,its not rocket science

Best is buy Barbone bundle,which don't include HDD,Optical drive and GPU(Graphic card)

Good Barbone bundles are from £170,here is link

http://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/

For HDD,depends how much space you want,i would suggest 500GB-1TB £31-£77 and best are for me WD Black or Blue series

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...d5000aakx.html

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...d5002aalx.html

DVD/optical drive cost from £14.98

GPU/Graphic card,again depends on your needs and i would suggest ATi 5770 or nVidia GT440

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...ihd5700series/

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...40fermiseries/

Jura
Old 04 October 2011, 02:51 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

If you know how then that is the way to go. I've always built my own rigs and laptops.

But the OP doesn't seem the type that knows how to build a computer.

Quick Reply: Why is buying a new PC so complex