Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone Assistant...

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2011, 08:53 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Assistant...

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/the-new-iphone/

Hope this is true
Old 26 September 2011, 09:31 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

So do I, as if true Apple will once again be the 'top of the tree' and the poor Android users will be playing catch up.
Old 27 September 2011, 12:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Android has never caught iOS. You might find a phone with some bigger numbers but that's it.

Voice control does nothing for me, perhaps when Apple do it properly it will appeal, but what's available now mostly sucks.
Old 27 September 2011, 12:31 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
So do I, as if true Apple will once again be the 'top of the tree' and the poor Android users will be playing catch up.
Please explain how Android users will be left playing catch up, when most of the current batch of Android phones are either the "reported" iPhone 5 spec already or better?
Old 27 September 2011, 12:46 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Android has never caught iOS. You might find a phone with some bigger numbers but that's it.

Voice control does nothing for me, perhaps when Apple do it properly it will appeal, but what's available now mostly sucks.
Android is outselling iphone 2 to 1 on some contracts.

they have an awesome opportunity to own apple, but it will never happen. too many vendors not agreeing on common practices and the users lose out.
Old 27 September 2011, 12:52 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

All I say to anyone who thinks the iPhone is the best phone available, go into a shop and pick up and play with a Samsung Galaxy SII....

Oh and I would just like to add, I have neither an iPhone or an Android based phone.
Old 27 September 2011, 12:54 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I think a lot of people may not think it's the best phone available, I certainly don't think that, but more it is the phone that best fits their needs.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2011, 01:08 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

And so another thread descends into b1tching. YAWN.

As has been attempted to be said, ALL the phones have their faults, but you choose the one that suits your requirements best.

I'm certainly not a fan of iphone (well, to be precise, it disappointed me when compared to the computer product line), but I certainly wouldn't knock anyone for buying/using one....
A childish playground trait that seems to be all too popular not just on this forum, but most of them.

Shame, as the updates to iOS look to be quite good
Old 27 September 2011, 01:24 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

I don't get the bitching either. Apple release one phone at a time....how many Android phones are released over a year?
Old 27 September 2011, 01:39 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ste_brough
Please explain how Android users will be left playing catch up, when most of the current batch of Android phones are either the "reported" iPhone 5 spec already or better?
Because yet again Apple will 'push the envelope' of what users will expect of their mobile phones, the thing that some people fail to grasp is that it is not the hardware that gives Apple the edge it's the OS.

I have tried quite a few of the 'competition' in terms of Android mobiles; HTC and Samsung and whilst I have no doubt that certainly with the Galaxy 2 it can on paper outperform an iPhone in theory, the iPhone I have found is a far more pleasant experience.

We all have our own preferences, I just prefer the iPhone because it offers the best in terms of what I want from my mobile.
Old 27 September 2011, 01:58 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ChefDude
Android is outselling iphone 2 to 1 on some contracts.

they have an awesome opportunity to own apple, but it will never happen. too many vendors not agreeing on common practices and the users lose out.
Android isn't outselling anything, it's free, paid for by advertising to you the user. And the iPhone is the best selling phone right now, that's a phone that's over a year old.
Old 27 September 2011, 02:19 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
And so another thread descends into b1tching. YAWN.
Sorry mate I can't see any b1tching?
Old 27 September 2011, 02:22 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Because yet again Apple will 'push the envelope' of what users will expect of their mobile phones, the thing that some people fail to grasp is that it is not the hardware that gives Apple the edge it's the OS.
Can you elaborate on "pushing the envelope"?
Old 27 September 2011, 03:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

To attempt to extend the current limits of performance. To innovate, or go beyond commonly accepted boundaries.

Apple do this all the time, some innovate, others imitate. If you want to know what everyone will be using in two years time visit an Apple store.
Old 27 September 2011, 03:52 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
To attempt to extend the current limits of performance. To innovate, or go beyond commonly accepted boundaries.

Apple do this all the time, some innovate, others imitate. If you want to know what everyone will be using in two years time visit an Apple store.
As Jack has said Apple bring out new features and functions which then get 'adopted' by other manufacturers of either hardware or OS. I am not saying that Apple in their time have not 'borrowed' some features from other manufacturers but these are few and far between.

I mean what did we have before the original iPhone in terms of mobile phone OS's? The only one that really comes to my mind is Symbian and what a load of cr@p that was/still is.
Old 27 September 2011, 04:21 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

I am not saying that Apple in their time have not 'borrowed' some features from other manufacturers but these are few and far between.
I think samsung, VIA, HTC et al would disagree
Old 27 September 2011, 04:27 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

OK but I still must be missing the point? Looking through the features of iOS 5, let's see for ourselves the "pushing" of this envelope [http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html]:

Notification Center
You get all kinds of notifications on your iOS device: new email, texts, friend requests, and more. With Notification Center, you can keep track of them all in one convenient location. Just swipe down from the top of any screen to enter Notification Center. Choose which notifications you want to see. Even see a stock ticker and the current weather. New notifications appear briefly at the top of your screen, without interrupting what you’re doing. And the Lock screen displays notifications so you can act on them with just a swipe. Notification Center is the best way to stay on top of your life’s breaking news.

Reminders
Next time you think to yourself, “Don’t forget to...,” just pull out your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and jot it down. Reminders lets you organize your life in to-do lists — complete with due dates and locations. Say you need to remember to pick up milk during your next grocery trip. Since Reminders can be location based, you’ll get an alert as soon as you pull into the supermarket parking lot. Reminders also works with iCal, Outlook, and iCloud, so changes you make update automatically on all your devices and calendars.

Calendar
Get more perspective on your schedule with year view on iPad and week view on iPhone and iPod touch. Tap to create an event and drag to adjust the time and duration. Add, rename, and delete calendars directly from your device. And view event attachments without leaving the Calendar app.

Is this a features list from iOS 5 or one from a HTC/Android/Windows/Blackberry/Nokia etc etc from 2005?
Old 27 September 2011, 04:33 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
I think samsung, VIA, HTC et al would disagree
I was being tongue in cheek when I mentioned borrowing / adoption of other manufacturers technology; if you look at the current lawsuits they all seem to be taking court action against each other for infringement of copyright/intellectual property rights.

I mean if you look at the original Galaxy and compare it to a 3GS you would have to be blind to not recognise the 'similarity' of the design and even some of the icons used.
Old 27 September 2011, 04:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

OK but I still must be missing the point? Looking through the features of iOS 5, let's see for ourselves the "pushing" of this envelope
Those are just a few features to wind up the Fandriods. Oct 4th is the date that you'll find out what features other phones will see in a year or so.
Old 27 September 2011, 05:16 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

OK, I'll guess we'll see.....
Old 27 September 2011, 05:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate I can't see any b1tching?
Give it chance
Old 03 October 2011, 09:57 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

So is this iPhone assistant just like Eva for Android?
Old 03 October 2011, 12:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yes, but it won't be crap.
Old 03 October 2011, 03:51 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Touché