Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Printing an image from a PCL program

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2002, 03:06 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno if anyone here can help???

We have a program that prints a form by using PCL language (the program is run on a RDBMS on AIX), is it possible to attach a bmp or jpg etc to a PCL file, and if so, do/how the images need to be converted?

Many Thanks
Old 25 April 2002, 04:18 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

I did this sort of thing a long time ago so can't remember all the details. Basiclly you want to get the bmp or jpeg image converted into binary PCL - the easiest way to do this is to print your image using a PCL printer driver to a file, this will need some manual editing though, you should then be able to take this cleaned up code and append merge it with you PCL form output.

Alternatively depending on the size of your image/logo get this converted to a PCL Soft Font, then just reference the font in the PCL form.

Michael
Old 25 April 2002, 04:46 PM
ragnarock
Scooby Regular

Michael, how does the file need to be cleaned up, is there a command that references the start of the image and one for the end??

Many Thanks!
Old 25 April 2002, 05:15 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

Well like I said it's been a longtime since I did this. You will need to remove the initial PCL commands that define the page size, resolution and layout etc.

I selected a Laserjet in Win2K and printed a small bmp to a file the inital PCL seen below is the pagge setup as I mentioned above, portrait, 300dpi etc.
E&l0L&l1H&l70P&l0o1E*t300R&l1X&a450V&a148 H

I believe the image data starts here as shown below basically the b257W tells the printer to expect 257 bytes of binary data (i.e the first line of your graphic)

*r1A*b257W     &a452V* b257W <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<8

I suggest you take a look at the HP site for PCL info and the link below:
http://www.sxlist.com/techref/language/pcls.htm

and a PCLviewer might be useful as well try http://www.pclviewer.com/ they offer a trial download.

Hope that helps

Michael