Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Apps Devs Here?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2011, 11:50 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any Apps Devs Here?

As title really...

Looking for someone to be able to write app(s) that can interact with our sql and mysql dbs, for making orders and status updates. iPhone/Android/BB

Anyone do that sort of stuff?
Old 05 September 2011, 12:10 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone who does.
Old 06 September 2011, 07:26 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

aye i same as Milamber,i know a local company to me who designed a few apps for us,
One being the StartRescue app.
I looked into doing it myself but decided to just get someone else to do it in the end

there are also cheating ways of doing it from what i remeber, where the App is actually just a web site container, if you want something in a hurry..

Apple do make things easy what with the locked down product
BES and Droid make things a bit more interesting, but not that bad as long as long as you remeber to work around the different possible hardware specs etc
Old 12 September 2011, 11:03 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

www.elance.com
Old 12 September 2011, 12:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Just seen this thread.
There are a couple of things you could do.
The first is to grab a copy of "iPhone Configuration Utility" (there is a Mac and PC version) and look at the "web clip" option within it. This allows you to add an item to the home screen which when launched will display a website. You can use IPC to prevent this item from being deleted, and specify if it runs full screen or not.
It's a light version of wrapping a website in an app lookalike, but with a few more options than the normal "Add to home screen" option you can get in mobile safari.

What you would probably need to do is generate a mobile version of the website, so you'd be looking at web design rather than app coding, and there are probably more people to do this out there.

I'd try the web clip thing first, it's free and won't hurt.

Next option is to simply create an app that opens a specific url in a UIWebview. This is somewhat similar to the web clip option except this is a proper app and you'll have access to the full range of API's that an app has.

Here is an example. I manage the iOS devices at work. I've got a web solution that allows people to sign devices out and in, so we can track who has them (php talking to mysql database - sound familiar? ). I wanted to be able to provide a solution on the device itself, so you could fire something up and sign out just that device. While I could open the existing web site, the problem is that you'd still need to scroll through a list of other devices. I needed to uniquely ID the device, and I could not see a way to do this with just the web, so I built an app (with some goggling and the help of one of the devs at work)

The app grabs the UDID, device name, iOS version, and generates a url and loads that into a UIWebview, this then causes a page to be displayed that allows you to sign out / in just that device.

It's using a duplicate of the normal web system I built, just cut down some of the options and put in support for passing of the URL params to the pages and obtaining the values via "GET" (I know, not secure, should use post, but it's an internal system)

As this is internal, I can simply use our normal Xcode AdHoc profile for internal distribution. Now, that is an important point. Where are you going to deploy this app? You need to get it onto devices, so you will probably need, at the least, an iOS Enterprise Account, this does allow for development, but not deployment to the app store. Guessing you probably would not need that. There is also some B2B (Back 2 Business) thing, or I think it's called that, its a setup for deployment of internal business apps, which is what it sounds like you might want.

If you get an external dev to create things, then you'd be limited to them adding your devices to their existing provisioning portal, and I doubt they would go for that, so better to get an enterprise account and have some external dev use that to create an app.

Apart from the web based app you could have a full one app designed, all depends on exactly what you need really.