Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple throws its weight around again!

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2011, 01:59 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Apple throws its weight around again!

If you can't win by having superior products then throw your toys out your pram and go blubbing to the courts !! How can a German court impose an EU wide ban anyway?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14470253

Also since when was the iPad marketed as an eReader?
eReader is one of its features but it is not sold as an eReader unlike the Kindle.

http://arst.ch/qik

If Apple were not so gready and restrictive then they would have a bigger market share in the eBook market. As the reporter said why would I pay 14.99 from apple when I can pay 9.99 from amazon?

Last edited by Wurzel; 12 August 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12 August 2011, 02:11 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I love my Apple products I use the Kindle app for reading.
The prices are just too high on iBooks, there is no way an eBook should be the same price or even higher than the actual book itself.

I'm also a bit bored of reading about who is suing who and counter-suing who!!
Old 12 August 2011, 02:29 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14473893

Nice one Amazon!
Show Apple where they can stick their lawsuit
Old 12 August 2011, 03:25 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

I'm not bothered about the book side of it, if you're going to sell things through the Apple App Store then you should expect to pay Apple, after all it costs money for Apple to host, support and administrate that not to mention inspect all the App's uploaded to ensure they aren't harmful to your devices.

The Samsung thing I don't really know much about the history only what I've seen in the news, but if Samsung have copied tech from Apple then it's right that they have been prevented from profiting off technology and systems that they didn't pay to develop or own the rights of.
Old 12 August 2011, 03:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

It's pretty simple. The Galaxy Tab is a blatant rip off of the iPad and it's crap, if it was any good it might be forgivable, but it's not. It's conning the public into thinking they're getting a quality product and experience. Same goes for some of their phones, you can hardly tell it's not an iPhone. Innovation not duplication and you can play the game.

Here's LG heading down the same road.

Last edited by JackClark; 12 August 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12 August 2011, 03:45 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
The Galaxy Tab is a blatant rip off of the iPad and it's crap
Ergo the iPad is crap?
Old 12 August 2011, 03:46 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Just how many ways are there to make a tablet?

You don't see HP screwing over Dell because their laptops look the same, or IBM because they also make PCs.

There are only so many ways to make a phone, a laptop a tablet etc

The iPad thing and the Kindle from Amazon are 2 completely different products and have only 1 thing in common and that 1 thing is what the kindle was made to do and the iPad does as part of its programming.

Regarding Samsung phones, again you are talking bollox! The Galaxy S is a very nice phone that runs a completely differnet OS to the iPhone. The only similarity is they are both flat and have similar looking icons on them, again how many way are there to represent an envelope as an Icon? The android OS runs rings round IOS you are just to blinkered to see it.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 12 August 2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Edited to remove insults
Old 12 August 2011, 03:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Ergo the iPad is crap?
Everyone knows the iPad is a modern day miracle in both it's form and operating system.
Old 12 August 2011, 03:50 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
JackClark you are so full of **** I am suprised you haven't exploded yet!!!

Just how many ways are there to make a tablet?

You don't see HP screwing over Dell because their laptops look the same, or IBM because they also make PCs.

There are only so many ways to make a phone, a laptop a tablet etc

The iPad thing and the Kindle from Amazon are 2 completely different products and have only 1 thing in common and that 1 thing is what the kindle was made to do and the iPad does as part of its programming.

Regarding Samsung phones, again you are talking bollox! The Galaxy S is a very nice phone that runs a completely differnet OS to the iPhone. The only similarity is they are both flat and have similar looking icons on them, again how many way are there to represent an envelope as an Icon? The android OS runs rings round IOS you are just to blinkered to see it.
Open your eyes. Does the Kindle look like an iPad? Even the Playbook manages to look like a Playbook. Have you even seen a Tab in person? You'd only need to put an Apple logo on it and you'd have Jobs fooled.

And look, if you're going to moan about me praising Apple and it's operating system please refrain from praising Android in exactly the same way.
Old 12 August 2011, 03:58 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Does the Kindle look like an iPad?
No it looks nothing like an iPad it has a keypad on it and is half the size, plus the screen on it is not backlit like the iPad it has some funky electronic ink which makes it work in sunlight ( sumat the iPad doesn't) and makes it easier to read.

Even the Playbook manages to look like a Playbook.
I should hope so as it is a playbook.

Have you even seen a Tab in person?
Yes thanks, and I say again how many ways are there to make a tablet??

You'd only need to put an Apple logo on it and you'd have Jobs fooled.
Again I disagree, anyone who can't tell the difference between the 2 shouldn't be the CEO of APPLE
Old 12 August 2011, 04:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yes thanks, and I say again how many ways are there to make a tablet??
You just listed two, in an angry manner that's not appreciated I might add, now go into your local electronic shop and look at some more.

Here's some duplication for you, how you can't see it is beyond me.

Apple weren't the first company to release a tablet and yet they managed to come out with something original, must be the marketing team.

Last edited by JackClark; 12 August 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12 August 2011, 04:16 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

You just listed two, in an angry manner that's not appreciated I might add, now go into your local electronic shop and look at some more.

Apple weren't the first company to release a tablet and yet they managed to come out with something original, must be the marketing team.
Jack a blind person could tell that they are not the same! They are differnet sizes, even in the same orientation you can see they are different. The only similarity is that they are flat with a black border, which incidentally wouldn't matter to a blind person.
Old 12 August 2011, 04:18 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

I didn't realise they had ripped the design off that much, that's just ridiculous, I don't blame apple for taking them to court.
Old 12 August 2011, 04:30 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

There's a computer section for this crap.

God I sound like f1
Old 12 August 2011, 04:33 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Ant
There's a computer section for this crap.

God I sound like f1
Ah yes but apparently the iPad is not a computer it is a tablet so does not belong in the computer section

Plus this is about the company and not its products per se
Old 12 August 2011, 04:43 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I have an iPad and have both kindle and iBooks apps but I use kindle every time. iBooks is too expensive as said and the range of books available (relevant to what I like to read) is poor IMO.

The only pain in the backside with using the kindle app is that I have to keep touching the screen or it auto locks and there isn't a setting to disable it in reading apps.

I like some apple products but not all, I bought my iPad as a replacement for an ageing laptop and it's served it's purpose to an extent.

Apple products are very good but are by no means the 'be all and end all' of computing/ personal electronic equipment.
Old 12 August 2011, 05:27 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ah yes but apparently the iPad is not a computer it is a tablet so does not belong in the computer section

Plus this is about the company and not its products per se
Neither is iPhone but that gets moved
Old 12 August 2011, 06:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tablets are an answer to a question nobody really asked anyway, had one and couldn't really see a use for it and have an Ipad 2 for "evaluation" at work, its lovely but I cant see a point for it, may as well just use a laptop as you dont have to prop it up.
Old 12 August 2011, 10:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT
I'm not bothered about the book side of it, if you're going to sell things through the Apple App Store then you should expect to pay Apple, after all it costs money for Apple to host, support and administrate that not to mention inspect all the App's uploaded to ensure they aren't harmful to your devices.
One of the main reasons Amazon has gone the web app route (very nice it is too), is because Apple's latest rules forbid you from having any form of buy / purchase option in your application, thus any apps that have a store will be pulled from the App Store unless they remove purchase options.

When it comes to expecting to pay Apple, well, perhaps if they were not so draconian on the pricing when it comes to using IAP (In App Purchase - Their purchase system - though more on this later).

Let us take the example of eBooks, specifically eBook vendors. Note that I said vendor and NOT publisher, there is a big, big, big difference between the two. An eBook vendor is essentially a middle man who sells the publishers content. The publisher could sell it direct themselves if they wished to, but it makes sense for them to use third party vendors to sell their wares.

So, an eBook vendor has a free app, obviously no 30% cut of the price there for Apple. To use Apple's IAP system in your app, which is the only way you can now allow users to purchase content, you need to give 30% of the sale to Apple. Not bad you think, well, you have to give 70% to the publisher of the content you are selling. Now, unless my maths is wrong, that equals 100% of your sale, which means the eBook vendor makes nothing.

Ah, but Apple must host the content that is being sold and provide tools to manage the potentially hundreds of thousands of items (each book would need it's own unique catalog number), so you are paying 30% for that.
Umm, no actually, they don't. The eBook vendor still has to host the content, and there seems to be little or no information on exactly how many items you can add to the IAP system, rumour has it that it's about 5000 items, which is a bit lower than the number of books that a vendor could have.
There are no mass import tools for adding even those 5000 items. Additionally there are fixed price points, and I believe they don't differ between countries and publishers like different prices in different countries. Plus the price points don't match the points of the publishers, and asking the Publishers to change their prices to match the price points probably won't happen.

For the 30% that Apple takes all they actually do is act as a credit card processor, and 30% is a very, very large fee for just that.

Apple knows what it is doing. It knows that eBook vendors will not make money if using IAP. They basically want iBooks to be the only eReading app on iOS, and iBookstore to be the only place to buy books on iOS.
It isn't as if they had the first eReading app on iOS, there were other apps there prior to iBooks.

If they changed the policy to 20 or 25 percent it would leave a small margin for the ebook vendors to make something on iOS, but there isn't much chance of that, unless the Agency Pricing class action lawsuit gets Agency Pricing abolished (that's part of the reason for the 70%)
Old 13 August 2011, 06:13 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what patents are claimed to be breached, but you got to admit Samsung's styling is similar to Apple.

Other then that the phones are very different.
Old 13 August 2011, 11:56 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
I'm not sure what patents are claimed to be breached, but you got to admit Samsung's styling is similar to Apple.

Other then that the phones are very different.
Even a blind man can tell there two different phones

The apple one is a flat sided unit, where as the Samsung is quite smooth.

The curved shape of the 3GS was very ergonomic, the flat sided 4 is not.

But they are both different...

Mart
Old 13 August 2011, 12:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So apple have a sad on because a competitor has produced something thats better than their Ipad2 (yes its had better reviews and its thinner ) so they throw their "patent" around saying that its very similar.... ok who invented the mobile phone? they can throw their weight around saying that they all make phone calls on them this is what really irriates me about apple, hence why it will bite them shortly.

Tony
Old 13 August 2011, 01:53 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Posts removed from above - please do not make this personal
Old 13 August 2011, 03:42 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

worried about the competition?!
Old 13 August 2011, 05:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Posts removed from above - please do not make this personal
Well maybe you should moderate this a bit better then. It doesn't get more personal than this and I think if you read Jack's comment after that one in the thread you can see what drove the comment in here. As I said ... consistency!

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...16&postcount=8
Old 15 August 2011, 06:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Apple don't get it all their own way

A good friend of mine acted as lead legal council for Nokia in their recent court victory over patent infringements by Apple

he told me on Saturday that he has served Apple 3 laws suits on behalf of HTC

and interestingly Google have purchased Motorola -- to get the Mobile Phone technology patents
Old 15 August 2011, 07:15 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

The Nexus series is pants? i quite like my Nexus One and dont consider it pants... but anyhow...

will be interesting to see how they get on, motorola was rumoured to be the hardware for the new Nexus Prime so kinda makes sense from that angle as well as the patent side of things
i dont think it'll effect the other droid makers anyhow
Old 15 August 2011, 07:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Oh it'll affect others alright, Google already hold back on releasing source code for Android, there's more of that to come once they have their own hardware.

Windows phone is looking even better.
Old 15 August 2011, 07:47 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Android 3.0, Honeycomb, was designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes and improves on Android favorites such as widgets, multi-tasking, browsing, notifications and customization. While we're excited to offer these new features to Android tablets, we have more work to do before we can deliver them to other device types including phones. Until then, we've decided not to release Honeycomb to open source. We're committed to providing Android as an open platform across many device types and will publish the source as soon as it's ready.
Its Ice Cream Sandwich thats coming out on the Nexus Prime etc so id say the above makes sense

I've not tried any of the new crop of windows phones yet, too many burnt fingers from the old windows mobile days..
im sure ill get my grubby mits on one at some point
Old 19 August 2011, 04:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Quick Reply: Apple throws its weight around again!