Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Will you pay a premium to avoid Apple?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2011, 06:30 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you pay a premium to avoid Apple?

With the recent patent disputes with google, android phones could become more expensive!

Coupled with Apple's sheer buying power, almost certain of huge sales, their products are going to also be know for their value for money too.

And! No one can match spec for cost against MacBook Air.

Care to discuss the course of the next few years?
Old 05 August 2011, 07:12 AM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it will stay as it is,paying a premium to buy Apple products.
Old 05 August 2011, 07:13 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont worry about the rising price of Android phones as Google are going to get some patents of their own

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/sup...medium=twitter
Old 05 August 2011, 07:31 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't bother me at all. Still hate iOS so would choose Android. Just a bonus to me that they're cheaper.
Old 05 August 2011, 08:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The Total Cost of Ownership of Apple products is already cheaper, that's obvious.

At least the people who always shout 'Rip Off', "Paying for Marketing" Paying for a Label" might shut up after they read the news in The Sun.
Old 05 August 2011, 08:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Saint, you should take a look at Windows Phone, it makes Android look like the Ubuntu of the mobile world, which technically it is.
Old 05 August 2011, 08:39 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

You're assuming Apple will win - they're protecting their IP like everyone else but some of this is just posturing. e.g. they didn't win the recent one against Nokia and are now paying them a licence fee

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/06/nokia_beat_appl.html
Old 05 August 2011, 09:08 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
in The Sun.
Well it has to be true then.

I'd use whatever brand or OS I felt suited me. I prefer Android so would continue to use it.
Old 05 August 2011, 09:10 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Different story - Apple and Microsoft have bought some patents from the defunct Nortel that will directly impact Google.

Google has thrown it's toys out of the pram - but Apple have published communication from Googles lawyers allegedly declining to participate in the patent purchase!!!!
Old 05 August 2011, 09:19 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I thought Google made silly bids for Nortel, Like Pi and a few other big 'aren't we clever' numbers.
Old 05 August 2011, 10:09 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Saint, you should take a look at Windows Phone, it makes Android look like the Ubuntu of the mobile world, which technically it is.
You say that like it's a bad thing? It's one of the reasons I like it.
Old 05 August 2011, 10:40 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

The Total Cost of Ownership of Apple products is already cheaper, that's obvious.

At least the people who always shout 'Rip Off', "Paying for Marketing" Paying for a Label" might shut up after they read the news in The Sun.

The Sun? Really? You actually read that cr&p?
Old 05 August 2011, 10:59 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
You say that like it's a bad thing? It's one of the reasons I like it.
It's the only reason I like it. We're odd.
Old 05 August 2011, 11:00 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gear Head

The Sun? Really? You actually read that cr&p?
Read it again Gear Head, and stay off the Gear.
Old 05 August 2011, 12:06 PM
Garfield2004
Scooby Newbie

Link?
Old 05 August 2011, 12:09 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChefDude
With the recent patent disputes with google, android phones could become more expensive!

Coupled with Apple's sheer buying power, almost certain of huge sales, their products are going to also be know for their value for money too.

And! No one can match spec for cost against MacBook Air.

Care to discuss the course of the next few years?
How to say pure alternative(MacBook Air) will be available in coming months as Intel Ultrabook,Asus X21 or HP Ultrabook.

Just have look on shares on market,who is more popular Apple or PC,winner is PC,on mobile market Apple share its not increasing,but going down Android is going UP sharply.

I have alternative few months(now almost 2 years) with my PC,which can play any new games in highest res,making music in Logic etc.

No point going to Macbook or iOS,i'm using phone just SMS and calling.
For music i have iPod(old one 160GB) with RockBox and for transfer music i'm using Floola

A usual Apple fanboys still want prove we have best thing,but who care?
Only Apple fans

Jura
Old 05 August 2011, 12:50 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

At the moment it is very likely that I will pay a premium to get away from Windows.

I re-installed Windows 7 at the weekend, I had one of the first 'retail' copies (and not literally a copy but a genuine retail version) of it and so it had to go through all the usual Microsoft procedure of downloading what seemed like hundreds of updates and of course Service Pack 1, and let's not forget the countless updates as well after SP1 which can only be downloaded once SP1 is in place.

I used my PC on Wednesday night only to find that another 6 updates were necessary, and there was I thinking that having carried out 6 hours of updating on Sunday that it would be up to date.

I am getting increasingly cheesed off with Windows but if I jump ship to Apple will this constant updating ever finish - I understand the need for the update process of course, but why release such a shoddy product with so many flaws/weaknesses?

I know of course that Apple release different OS's but are they constantly updating themselves in the same manner as Windows?

Apart from having had the obligatory Iphones (original, 3G and 4) I have no experience of Apple products, my new machine will be used for Internet browsing, email and some image processing but no gaming as I have a PS3, XB360 and Wii for that.

Which Apple laptop would you recommend if at all?
Old 05 August 2011, 01:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Walk in the shop if possible and spend your budget, personally I'd go for a lower priced macbook and an iPad, nice combo.
Old 05 August 2011, 01:46 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yes Macs do update as well, but they aren't as constant as Microsoft updates, and are rarely security patches..... moreso tweaks to other apps...

I'll add to the mix and say that if you've got iphone/smartphone, ditch the ipad* and go for a better spec'd MacBook Pro or for the same money you'll get a very nice iMac (is there any reason why you need a laptop in particular?)

Just thinking as you mention image editing. Nowt wrong with the MacBook screens (my glossy 15.4 is great), but check out the bigger 21" ish and 27" machines... yummy.

Of course you can bolt a 2nd monitor onto the laptop (I've got an Acer 26" thing) - really good as I use it in Music Production. But it's not my only machine....

Food for thought.

Dan

* iPads are fantastic, and in most cases make a better option than the iphone/ipod touch, but they just not in the same league as the MacBook Pro at the moment.
Have a I used an iPad? YES. Do I want one? YES. Do I need one? NO.

But try them all and make up your own mind - the internet and its opinions are worthless
Old 05 August 2011, 10:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Good point about using and wanting an iPad but not needing one. I'm certainly the same way. They are good devices, but I don't have need for one, and if I do want one for occasional use then I can borrow one from the office, the same is true for the iPhone 4, and no doubt the iPad 3 and iPhone 4S / 5 when they are released. At least it gives me a chance to evaluate the devices for an extended period of time.

CF - Have a look at the Apple Store Refurbished section, see what they have in regards to MacBooks (probably an older Macbook Pro would do you, unless you need the ultra-slim form factor of an Air - There can be some good deals on older kit, plus as the Air has just been refreshed, a model that was top of the line a month ago is now "old" and could have a decent discount on it)
Old 06 August 2011, 09:16 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I'd never pay a premium to anybody, but i'd go out of my way not to go down the fruit route

Mart