Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Palm Developers Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2002, 11:00 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Just testing the waters as it were...

Looking for an app to send data via GPRS to/from an app in an office - essentially a field engineers device, with job details, status updates etc. Poss utilisation of GPS for mapping as well (I am here or you need to go here). Signature capture algoritham?

Easy? Hard? Costly? WHY?

Old 23 April 2002, 03:52 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why stop at PalmOS if you develop a J2ME version you could then run the app on PalmOS, PocketPC, Linux (i.e Sharp Zarus SL5000) etc.

We have a similar app internally for field engineers, which is implemented on a Symbol platfrom with built in scanner running linux and apps in java.
Old 23 April 2002, 05:05 PM
Qubit
Scooby Newbie

Java micro edition is one way, granted, but the last time I looked at it the thing ran pretty slowly. If your application relies much on the UI, then you'd probably be better going for a native application.

As for GPRS - I'm a little out of touch for the terminology, but that's mobile phone communication technology, isn't it ? If so, you'd be advised to take a look at Handspring's offerings, either the Treo, which has mobile communications built in, or just any Handspring with a Springboard expansion. It's quite likely that there'll be an expansion module out there with both GPRS and GPS functionality.

If you're looking to program develop your own applications, then I could either give you some pointers or I could put you in touch with someone who could definitely get the job done for you, or possibly just give you better information than I have on how this would be implemented. In general, it's definitely possible, but of course the implementation of such things would depend on the hardware used - whether you're using a palmtop with built-in GPRS/GPS functionality, or whether you're using infra-red to transmit data via a seperate mobile phone.
Old 23 April 2002, 07:04 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Already in possession of a device that acts as a GPRS modem, which both works and is capable of attaching to a Palm/H-spring via a serial connection. Just programming...

Old 25 April 2002, 02:34 PM
Qubit
Scooby Newbie

In that case Serial programming on the Palm is relatively easy - bar a few little problems such as rubbish hardware flow control, which is easy enough to circumvent. Provided the device you've got is reasonably open about how to communicate with it you shouldn't have any problems. Can you give any specifics about what you'd like to know ? Most of my experience with Palm software has been serial/ethernet communications related, so I ought to be able to answer any questions you've got...
Old 25 April 2002, 10:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Questions? Many!!!

Apart from anything else, I'm no-way a programmer

I have a product and one of the enhancements calls for a PDA type device. Palm is good as the data movement is potentially small & is all that is needed. Less data movement = lest cost for transfer = more cost-efficient product = more product sold = more profit

Essentially a field service device for field service engineers.

Prehaps you are able to drop me a mail?