Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Opinions on this website I'm having built please..

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2011, 11:15 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this website I'm having built please..

I have been charge with getting a website built for our families apartment, that we have decided to rent out.

This is the address www.brac-apartment.co.uk

I have never done anything like this before and would appreciate any input, being negative (please be kind)or positive.

This has been cobbled together by a mate of mine in the last 48 hours, he lives hundreds of miles from me so it's all via email at the moment.

So what do you think?

Cheers.
Old 17 June 2011, 12:34 PM
ANDY597
Scooby Regular

Loved the background picture

Didnt like the txt on the first page, found it messed with my eyes on this pc

Liked gallery pics, good size to load thumbnail, but some very similar shots that you could cut down

Overall, pretty good considering your email constraints.

Just booked a holiday in Australia and used holidaylettings.co.uk that you might want to look at. Dont know how much it costs to advertise
Old 17 June 2011, 01:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input, I wanted to get the site exactly how we want it before worrying too much about the advertising front, I have a whole list of sites to contact for this at a later date.
Old 17 June 2011, 09:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

repetition of "The apartment itself" in the txt on home page (and txt a bit "wordy" in general)

and agree with comments above

but like the picture too
Old 17 June 2011, 10:40 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
repetition of "The apartment itself" in the txt on home page (and txt a bit "wordy" in general)

and agree with comments above

but like the picture too

Just had a read through, and agree with you regarding the repetition comment, I'll think of an alternative and get that changed.

When you say "wordy" what do you mean by that?

Cheers
Old 17 June 2011, 11:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i think trying to be a bit too "clever"

"Just a short walk will see you greeted "-- seems a bit ott

listen Cookstar, these are my personal opinions and I am very self critical of my own writing too -- and have to get my wife (who had a very very expensive education) to proof read my stuff

maybe just talk it through as you would if telling a friend about the apartment -- then write that down

I bet you would not use "Just a short walk will see you greeted" and "if you so wish"

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 17 June 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling ahah
Old 17 June 2011, 11:09 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Looks simple and effective which is a good thing. Loads quickly and achieves everything you want it to.

A few points though, the text is a bit tricky to read on top of the background, but only a minor point.

More seriously, there are a significant amount of spelling mistakes, poor grammar and repetition (which I know has been mentioned before)

It needs a very thorough proof read and amendments but other than that, I like it.

Jason
Old 18 June 2011, 03:38 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

cookie,

Agree with the yellow text thing. i found it a bit hard to read. the wordiness is another thing i would look at. i am by no means a grammarian but what do you lot think of my attempt.

Apartment Sophia is a lovely family owned property that can comfortably sleep four adults, just 100 metres from a clean and welcoming beach that overlooks the crystal clear Adriatic Sea. Just a short walk from the apartment there are a range of local restaurants serving everything from traditional Croatian dishes to the local pizza parlour. Local shops include a butchers, bakers and supermarket so you can stock up for the inevitable beach picnic.*

The apartment itself benefits from air conditioning, which can also act as a heating system, enabling the apartment to be enjoyed all year round. The apartment has lovely views of the crystal blue sea and the pinewood hills.*

The apartment itself is a first floor elevation and is spacious in its layout. It is fully furnished, including dining table and chairs, comfortable sofa which converts into a double bed. The main bedroom is separate and includes a double bed and cot (if required). Leading off from the dining area through sliding doors is the balcony, which is furnished with a small table and chairs, ideal for enjoying your breakfast while listening to the sound of the sea. The modern kitchen is fully fitted and should meet all your needs.

A linen service is provided as well as a check in and out service. Allocated parking space is right outside and with local car hire available from the tourist board, you are ideally situated to explore this beautiful island if you so wish, or simply relax and take in the wonderful atmosphere that Sutivan gives off.

From Split airport, (which is a two and a half hour flight from London), you can rent a car, jump in a taxi or use the airport bus service to the Split ferry terminal (approx 40minutes).*

We would recommend that if you do wish to rent a car then it's a good idea to rent one once you are on the island, as taking a car on the ferry can be quite costly.*

Once on the ferry you will be able to enjoy a short 45 minute journey to the port of Supertar. From there Apartment Sophia is just a 10 minute taxi or bus journey from the port. If you require a taxi transfer this is something we can arrange for you in advance.*

The return transfer from the Port of Supetar to the apartment will be complementary with all 2 week + bookings.*

Listed below are the ferry times from Split to Supetar. These times may be subject to change, although we will make every effort to keep them as up to date as possible on our website. We do advise that you to make your own enquiries before you travel as we can not be held responsible for any changes that have been made to the timetable.

Last edited by bigsinky; 18 June 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 05:00 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

i think the layout is horrible, site navigation in the bottom left and content in the top right just looks wrong (maybe just a layout issue, only have firefox here), the yellow content text doesn't suit either, the gallery could be better as well, there are some nice flash gallery's kicking around on the web (google is your friend). The background picture is nice and the title looks ok. If i were you since you dont have much content i would go with a small fixed width site. All imho of course
Old 18 June 2011, 05:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Home:
- The logo image is not smooth, looks jaggy.
- Would like a better colour and layout for text on home page.
- Would include a proper email, instead of mailto: will get spammed to death

Gallery:
- Images move around when one is clicked and almost displays off bottom of page. I'd incorporate something like "lightbox" script and then you can flick through the images, without closing.

Dates:
- Too hard to understand, would be better to incorporate a proper looking calendar, would be easier to look at and follow. Colouring dates that are taken in red for instance.

Prices:
- No need for this page, can incorporate this in the calendar with a colour key.

Facilities:
- Break this up, bold some text or underline to be able to understand at a glance, rather than reading it all.
* Include some of the local attractions and what there is to do there and why your apartment is the one to choose.
Old 18 June 2011, 05:29 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

the need for constant side scrolling a bit annoying.
Old 25 June 2011, 09:10 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

If a mate of yours is doing it for free then i'd say he's done a good job and leave it as it is, if you are paying him then there are quite a few things that i'd change, these being:
  • The resolution of the background image (too low).
  • The poor use of space (text squashed over to the right requiring a scroll bar).
  • Images should be named appropriately, not numbered
  • I'd also not use the grey buttons and standard text at the bottom, they don't go with the rest of the page.
Being an ICT teacher I look at quite a few websites that the kids have created. I'd grade that at a good pass, it would need the above resolving to get to a merit, then I would (following the OCR Grading Grid) expect to see 'hotspots', videos and animations for a distinction
Old 25 June 2011, 11:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

background poor res.
the menu i would put in the top right corner.

use this as a background 1024x768 res

Old 26 June 2011, 12:16 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I am Blunt.

It is very poor. I have looked at it trying to come up with constructive advice, but, it needs a talent who knows what he is doing.

Please tell him to use Light Screen.
Old 26 June 2011, 11:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
background poor res.
the menu i would put in the top right corner.

use this as a background 1024x768 res

No please DO NOT use this as the background. It is 744K and on slow connections will still be loading by the time your visitor gets bored and goes somewhere else. The advice in here sometimes makes me laugh.

On the site as it stands I would

- look to fade the background image a little and cater for bigger screens than 1024 x 768 by fading the edges to a solid colour
- use a panel overlay to place the content/text on and change the text colour to something easier on the eye
- prevent the text from scrolling as that isn't great anyway and doesn't work on some smartphones
- put the nav at the top and change to blend more with the site
- sort the logo so it is smooth edged and make it more 3D so it 'lifts' off the page
- reduce the amount of words certainly on the home page - replace with bullet points

Having said all that a friend has done it for you for nothing and quickly and the above is written from a more commercial critical point of view.
Old 26 June 2011, 01:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Low res yellow logo text = nope

Strange scrolling yellow text on the right? = nope

Strange white nav bar bottom left ? = nope

The map, that does not seam to tell me where the apartment is? = nope

Apart from that its fine (although it does not have much left )
Old 26 June 2011, 01:22 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
that does not seam
What does the hem on his pants have to do with it?

Old 26 June 2011, 04:47 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
No please DO NOT use this as the background. It is 744K and on slow connections will still be loading by the time your visitor gets bored and goes somewhere else. The advice in here sometimes makes me laugh.
You saying that because I said it or are you always that pedantic, 744k is nothing we're not living in 56k days ffs
Old 26 June 2011, 04:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
You saying that because I said it or are you always that pedantic, 744k is nothing we're not living in 56k days ffs
Some people are! Think mobile phones on slow links for starters

It's not pedantic, it's common sense!!!

As for that fact it is you saying it please don't think you are significant enough to warrant any special treatment becuase you're not!.

BTW you could use it if you use Photoshop or the likes to increase the JPEG compression - should be able to get it to about 100K with not much drop in quality - not enough to worry about on a website background anyway.

Last edited by f1_fan; 26 June 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 05:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Well in that case going by f1's advice. Dont have no graphics what so ever as it'll only slow the site down.

Just have a text only site it can look like a throw back from 1997
Old 26 June 2011, 05:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Well in that case going by f1's advice. Dont have no graphics what so ever as it'll only slow the site down.

Just have a text only site it can look like a throw back from 1997
Hey idea for you, stick to what you know... which obviously isn't anything about website deisgn!
Old 26 June 2011, 05:11 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Hey idea for you, stick to what you know... which obviously isn't anything about website deisgn!
looks we have a world famous website designer here.

As much as I'd love to spend my weekends arguing on the Internet with you, I'm going to spend time with my family , but you carry on if you wish.
Old 26 June 2011, 05:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
looks we have a world famous website designer here.
That's the problem with web design. Unlike other professions there is always some know it all down the pub, who probably does something like TV aerial installation for a living, who thinks he knows better than a professional. Well newsflash... you don't!

Good idea to go and annoy your family rather than me

Last edited by f1_fan; 26 June 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 05:28 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Do you have examples of your work I could view then, if you're that good as you say you are they'll be lots of examples.

I was giving my point from a consumer he didn't ask for arrogant know it alls.

I'm glad I annoyed you though

Last edited by Ant; 26 June 2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 06:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I was giving my point from that of someone clueless about website deisgn
EFA

As for giving you examples of my work you must be joking. So you can pick them apart with your expert knowledge. Not bloody likely. LOL!
Old 26 June 2011, 06:19 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

As for giving you examples of my work you must be joking. So you can pick them apart with your expert knowledge. Not bloody likely. LOL!
Ahhh thought so
Old 26 June 2011, 11:47 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I didn't like the text on the first page, awesome picture though.

I might be interested in renting , send me details...
Old 27 June 2011, 12:44 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by boxst
I didn't like the text on the first page, awesome picture though.

I might be interested in renting , send me details...
I think you'll find all the details on the website ...
Old 27 June 2011, 06:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Not too bad a start but at a first glimpse do a double proof read.

For example "May 1st to June 30th Per day 50 EURO ( 7 day minimum)" should read "May 1st to June 30th per day 50 Euros (7 day minimum)"

Make it clear if that is per person or per apartment. d;l
Old 29 June 2011, 08:40 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The email and the website address dont match, is it brac with a k or not?

I would say make the background picture smaller and feather it out onto a white background. Move the menus to bottom centre. Having the text in a text box with scroll bars looks poor and old fashioned

Quick Reply: Opinions on this website I'm having built please..