Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Phone call from MS re virus ??

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2011, 11:08 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone call from MS re virus ??

Just had a phone call from a foreign sounding gent who claimed was from Microsoft windows tech team who I am had been advised I had a virus on my pc and that he would help me remove the infection.

listened to him for another 30 seconds and thinking things just did not sound right told him I was busy and that I would have to go.

if a scam which I am 99.9% it is how does this work do they get you to do something that would infect your pc giving them access to it ??
just had another phone call from them same chap asking if I was ready to fix my pc ??!! when I asked him about it he got slightly irate and advised me why wont you trust me sir ??!!!

incodentaly when I mentioned to him that all my own virus scans had come back clear he informed me that yes they will but you still have a virus ??

what do you make off it guys ??
Old 27 April 2011, 11:12 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

When anyone phones who sound foreign i just put the phone down..........
Isn't everything a scam these days?.......
Old 27 April 2011, 11:16 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I have had a few of these scam calls.
They usually start off by telling me that my 'windows' pc has a problem.
I just ask them how they know I have a windows pc and they put the phone down.
Old 27 April 2011, 11:22 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I managed to keep one such caller talking for over half an hour before telling him that he was a lie-ing scammer and to **** off!!

They get you to launch the Event Viewer and try to get you worried about any errors contained therein.

Once hooked they get you to go to a (throw-a-away) LogMeIn (which is a perfectly respectable company) web-site to gain remote control access to your PC. Obviously from this point onwards you have no control as to what they might be doing.

They then try get you to pay a wadge of money on your credit card to "fix" your PC.

Well worth stringing them along if you have the time (and sufficient computer knowledge to not expose your PC to them).

mb
Old 27 April 2011, 11:33 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers appreciatte the info guys
Old 27 April 2011, 11:40 AM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Ive spent about 20 mins on the phone string them along, found it quite amusing.

As said they show your your event viewer and try and tell you all the events are some terrible errors caused by a virus.

Funnily enough when i asked him some technical questions (i work as an IT technician) he couldn't answer and when i asked to speak to his supervisor he just hung up on me!
Old 28 April 2011, 12:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHQD...eature=related

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2011, 12:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Amusingly I have encountered such a call when I was working from home. Chap claimed my Windows Vista PC was infected, and it was going to steal all my credit card information, and I must let him fix it for me.

I asked him how he knew I was using Vista, and he said that they (Microsoft) were able to see my PC and could remotely view, but not control the desktop, and from the look of the desktop and menus they could tell it was Vista.

At that point I had to come clean and tell him what an utter scamming lying feckwit he was, and that it was impossible for my Vista PC to be infected as I don't have any vista PC's, and the machine I use is a Mac, and whilst it does occasionally run windows, it'd be XP and not Vista, and it's running OS X at the moment.

Unless you have some kind of support contract where your machines are remotely monitored, then no-one should be contacting you about this kind of thing, and especially not MS. It's simply to prey on those who don't know what can and cannot be done and what companies will / won't do. Actually, it's common sense, which seems to be quite lacking these days.

Last edited by Markus; 28 April 2011 at 12:50 PM.