Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPad: The Microwave Oven of Computing

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2011, 12:42 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPad: The Microwave Oven of Computing

This is a very good read and defines the 'magic' of the iPad

http://techinch.com/2011/03/17/ipad-...-of-computing/
Old 28 March 2011, 12:50 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

So we are having to compare the I-Pad to a microwave to justify its existance?
It is a gimmick and a fashion statement. Nothing else.

The best comment on there was the one about reading the news paper on the I-Pad whilst your PC boots up. Really? Are you that impatient, or can you read a newspaper in lightening speed? More to the point, how old is your PC! May be the money you spent on the I-Pad could have been spent more wisely!
And it amazes me at the amount of people on Facebook that have posted pictures of their I-Pad and made comment like 'Ain't it pretty!'.
If that is what turns you on fine. But I really wish people would stop harping on about how much more complete their life is with an I-Pad.

Last edited by Gear Head; 28 March 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 28 March 2011, 12:53 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

You completely missed the point of the article then.
Old 28 March 2011, 12:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

It is certainly more than a gimmick as too many have been sold. It does fit a niche.

Given the choice of a laptop or iPad I would choose without a doubt the laptop. If you are lucky enough to have both then the iPad is great at consuming media / games / internet.

Steve
Old 28 March 2011, 12:58 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

What point is that then?
The microwave now allows complete spanners in the kitchen to cook something on their own? - How does the I-Pad fit in here then? If people can't use a pc, I'd be amazed if they could or would even want to use an I-Pad.

I'm assuming that the main point is that it makes so many things just that little bit easier.
Sorry, still can't see it.
I have been wondering how you prop the I-Pad up on your lap whilst surfing the net, but the more I think about the average Apple can, I think I know! Trouser tents all round!

Last edited by Gear Head; 28 March 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:06 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I can see benefits of having one, much like a microwave oven, however when Microwaves first came out they were £500 so wasn't rushing to buy one, move on twenty odd years and you can get a perfectly serviceable one for £50. Same goes for iPads, when they're ~£100 I'll think about getting one, or someone brings out something cheaper and better that does the same job I'll buy that.

Problem with Apple is there stuff never gets any cheaper, they'll just bring out the iPad 2,3,4,5,etc. and you will no longer want the previous version.

Maybe one day I'll take the plunge but at the moment I have other more important things to spend my cash on:- prams, cots, etc.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:09 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I can see benefits of having one, much like a microwave oven, however when Microwaves first came out they were £500 so wasn't rushing to buy one, move on twenty odd years and you can get a perfectly serviceable one for £50. Same goes for iPads, when they're ~£100 I'll think about getting one, or someone brings out something cheaper and better that does the same job I'll buy that.

Problem with Apple is there stuff never gets any cheaper, they'll just bring out the iPad 2,3,4,5,etc. and you will no longer want the previous version.

Maybe one day I'll take the plunge but at the moment I have other more important things to spend my cash on:- prams, cots, etc.
Totally agree with that.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:13 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I don't realy care about the Ipads but I am worried for the future of society when people queue overnight to get a new electronics product. Forget Islam vs the World the next major war will be Apple fans vs Microsoft or Apple vs Google and Android.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had a play with them honestly struggled to find a use for it over and above a netbook. Infact I prefer the netbook due to a proper keyboard for emails etc.

Potentially there is more possibilty with the iPad, but I still think its limited. Things like a portable TV (if could get DVB, which it can't....3G is still too slow and patchy IMO). Media centre control for your home cinema....Hmmm well kind of can, but will it PROPERLY control your Panasonic TV, with Denon Surround, Sony Blue ray player and Netgear NAS? ( Probably and 'App' for that ) - nope? Better stick to that Logitec Harmony . Phone+PDA? Bit big really.

how about as a childrens entertainment device? Yup, does that very well! Thats basically who plays with my mate's iPad all the time...his 2yr old daughter Seems quite durable to being chucked about

In terms of usefulness I would not compare it to the mircowave. The Microwave oven is MILES more significant. I'd put the invention of the internet itself being on the same playing level as the invention of the microwave. Both are labour savers, but both are non-essential and both are something 99% of households have and use almost daily. iPad isn't even close - and without internet, it would be of little use.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 March 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:21 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just another Apple fanboy trying to justify why they have spunked £600 on something that a £200 netbook could p&ss over.

IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE AN APPLE ***** - GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Old 28 March 2011, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is that you Chris?

Bloody hell so many people seem to be having their names changed, its getting hard to keep track
Old 28 March 2011, 01:30 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

It certainly is Ali! Fancied a change!

Just read a response to that article that says it all for me:

David your response summarizes everything I despise about the tablet market, particularly iPad users. Whenever someone points out the obvious functional, performance, and ergonomic deficiencies of tablets the response is “you’re not the target of the iPad” or “you just don’t get it.” I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with owning/using a tablet, but don’t feed us your unsupported subjective allusions about your non-technical friends and their feelings towards the iPad.

You act as if laptops are difficult to use and are non-portable. Does OSX simplify some features? Yes. Does it complicate others? You better believe it. Computers used to be intimidating; however, the technological progression we’ve seen in the past decade (Microsoft contributing more than Apple) is the simplification of the computer. Yes even the elderly can buy a new computer and start it up without a problem. Yes there are still complicated tasks on ALL O/S. Why are iPads and all tablets immune to complications? Because it trades functionality and features for simplicity. You download an app and you run it.

Android tablets versus iPads have a core philosophy difference. While both are media devices, Android offers customization and increased functionality; whereas Apple just keeps it simple an offers a one-size fits all approach.

The iPad’s virtues are:
1) Seamless touchscreen interface;
2) Thickness;
3) Weight; and
4) Portability.

Deficiencies, however are easily found:

The iPad is uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time, heck even 10 minutes and you’ll be tired. It is awkward to watch a movie in your lap due to neck strain or contorting your body to achieve the proper viewing angle. The speakers feel awful against your hands.

It has an incredibly cumbersome keyboard which greatly reduces it’s productivity value. You actually have to type slower and still check for spelling errors caused by the word-recognition software improperly identifying.

Its virtues as a device for artistic endeavours are severely crippled when you consider: The screen smears quite easily, its screen is not large enough to act as a proper canvas for many photoshop/painting projects, and the accuracy of touch is in no way comparable to pixel-perfect accuracy delivered via a mouse.

The display causes weary eyes compared to e-book readers like the Kindle and fades out in direct sunlight (not to mention turning off due to over-heating).

It is fun to play touch games, but controllers or motion-based gestures are much easier to use and can convey many more commands than touch gestures. Touch games will never go away because they are a different category that cannot be replicated otherwise.

The iPad is just a fun gadget and that’s all it will ever be. I was never anti-Apple until their supporters became illogical fanatics. They are selling a gadget and claiming it has “revolutionized computing”. It only supports apps and that is all it is good for. It is an app-player.

In conclusion I do understand why some people like tablets, but do not patronize me by claiming otherwise.

TL;DR iPad is a fun toy, but it is ONLY a toy.
Old 28 March 2011, 01:36 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Just another Apple fanboy trying to justify why they have spunked £600 on something that a £200 netbook could p&ss over.

IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE AN APPLE ***** - GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Jaybird was right, you have missed the point of the article. It was displaying in quite simple terms how the iPad (and all other tablets to follow ) are filling a niche that we consumers did not realise needed filling. The analogy if the microwave is only used in simplistic terms because that device has become ubiquitous whether you like it or not. I never cook dinners (unless it is designed for it ) in a microwave, heat stuff up etc. Same way I would think the iPad would never replace my desktop/laptop but as a device which compliments these, then it does a great job.

That is what the article was about. You seem fixated on whether it is necessary or a replacement for a desktop/laptop and if it is a great invention ? And leaving aside the fanboy comments (which frankly is playground retorts), the article does have a point. It is not just the iPad that has created this platform or market but all tablets will be classed as the same. It is just the fact that the iPad was first.
Old 28 March 2011, 02:12 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I don't think I have missed the point at all. And as for the apple fanboy comment, Jesus, relax! Try reading an android thread without JClark making stupid comments.
The microwave has not replaced the conventional oven as it is just not as good at producing great meals. Yes, it heats them up quickly for people that are impatient or haven't got time to use the oven.

So the I-Pad is supposed to be the similar yes? It provides an option in between the super obsessed and the super lazy products?
I get that it does have it's uses. Presentations in particular (seen a few used by tv presenters now, although who knows if that is just product placement).

But come on, you must see the irony when an IPad user has had to resort to comparing his purchase to a Microwave to justify his purchase.
Old 28 March 2011, 02:49 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

I never post on an Android thread as I dont have the technical ability to comment nor have the need to join in when I dont use it.
But as the fast approaching market leader in installed OS on smartphones and mobile devices, it is hard to ignore. The same can be said for IOS and the iPad. As the market leader in tablets and thus a subsequent huge installed OS base, it is hard not to question the impact that device has.

Now to the question of whether these devices are needed or fill a niche, then I think people fall into two camps. Those who love gadgets and will buy the next big thing and those who think the tablets do nothing new compared to their desktops/laptops/netbooks etc.

I think this article quite cutely pointed out that through the analogy of the microwave, that like it or not tablets will be bought, used and become mainstream. Yes, the price point, like the £500 microwaves, will dicate that the first camp of early adopters will be the buyers. Then as the price drops, the second camp of users will start buying it. It is the microwave analogy that shows in years time, tablets will be commonplace.

The only difference this time around, is that aside from the Apple crowd and early adopters, the iPad seems to be making inroads into areas that it was not designed for and bought by people who didnt think they needed one. Believe me, I have resisted long and hard enough to get one because I have struggled for ages to see why I would when I have a laptop for portability, an iPhone for mobile comms and a desktop for watching movies, doing work etc at home.

But I realised that the iPad (have not got one yet BTW ) would be a great addition not substitute if I looked it in that way. I always think, if you can find at least 5 ways a device does something better than what you have, then it stands a chance
Old 28 March 2011, 02:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
So we are having to compare the I-Pad to a microwave to justify its existance?
It is a gimmick and a fashion statement. Nothing else.

The best comment on there was the one about reading the news paper on the I-Pad whilst your PC boots up. Really? Are you that impatient, or can you read a newspaper in lightening speed? More to the point, how old is your PC! May be the money you spent on the I-Pad could have been spent more wisely!
And it amazes me at the amount of people on Facebook that have posted pictures of their I-Pad and made comment like 'Ain't it pretty!'.
If that is what turns you on fine. But I really wish people would stop harping on about how much more complete their life is with an I-Pad.
Just remember over the years people have said

Computers will never catch on

PCs are a gimmick - they will never catch on

Walkman - what's that all about

iPod - geez, it's just like a flash, gay Walkman, which didn't catch on either...

...etc...
Old 28 March 2011, 02:58 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Once people accept that the iPad is NOT a personal computer the better.
Old 28 March 2011, 03:10 PM
New_scooby_04

Ok, serious question then:

I was looking at an Ipad.

I don't want to replace my home PC
I don't want to lug a laptop around on the train with me - something that can fit into my satchel would be ideal
I don't need the latest fad; e.g. if the Ipad one wasn't demonstrably inferior to the Ipad 2 and was significantly cheaper I'd have that
I don't want to strain my eyes looking at a tiny screen
I don't want something that will throw a paddy if asked to view a word document

I just want something I can use to:

-Check E-mail on the train to and from work and (I have quite a long jouney so If I may as well use the time more productively rather than working longer hours AND having a long journey)
-A bit of light office work. Word/excel type thing!
-Waste a bit of time on said journeys (I like the idea of apps - I suspect the major selling point of the IPad)
-A bit of casual net surfing (around the house)

Is the Ipad right for me? If not, what are the better alternatives?
Old 28 March 2011, 03:15 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Ok, serious question then:

I was looking at an Ipad.

I don't want to replace my home PC
I don't want to lug a laptop around on the train with me - something that can fit into my satchel would be ideal
I don't need the latest fad; e.g. if the Ipad one wasn't demonstrably inferior to the Ipad 2 and was significantly cheaper I'd have that
I don't want to strain my eyes looking at a tiny screen
I don't want something that will throw a paddy if asked to view a word document

I just want something I can use to:

-Check E-mail on the train to and from work and (I have quite a long jouney so If I may as well use the time more productively rather than working longer hours AND having a long journey)
-A bit of light office work. Word/excel type thing!
-Waste a bit of time on said journeys (I like the idea of apps - I suspect the major selling point of the IPad)
-A bit of casual net surfing (around the house)

Is the Ipad right for me? If not, what are the better alternatives?
Paul
the iPad 2 is perfect for all of the above. Right screen size, right price point etc. get the 16GB wifi and 3G version for the email checking outside of the wifi area and you are sorted.

Yes the zoom and the playbook when launched may do the job but for now, the iPad wins
Old 28 March 2011, 03:16 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

oh and dont forget a leather or plastic cover for it especially for those private browsing moments
Old 28 March 2011, 03:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Paul
the iPad 2 is perfect for all of the above.
So the iPad has Word and Excel on it? Serious question btw?
Old 28 March 2011, 03:40 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
No it has pages and numbers. They can both open and create word and excel documents. I would not use them for doing some serious writing but enough for what Paul has asked for
Old 28 March 2011, 03:41 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SwissTony
oh and dont forget a leather or plastic cover for it especially for those private browsing moments
Ah yes, the fabled "I-Jizz" cover!
Old 28 March 2011, 03:42 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Just remember over the years people have said

Computers will never catch on

PCs are a gimmick - they will never catch on

Walkman - what's that all about

iPod - geez, it's just like a flash, gay Walkman, which didn't catch on either...

...etc...
To be honest, I am not old enough to remember the first two being written off.
Always knew the ipod would take off, may be not as much as it has but it was a good idea. Plus Apple seem to know how to package tech in sexy looking cases.

Well may be my life will never be complete but I honestly cannot think where the IPad would improve my life. I mean I'd be embarressed to get the damn thing out in public, let alone sitting there watching a film on it. Smart phones are so much more discreet and can do so much these days. And no, I am not saying that the IPad is intended to replace the smart phone. (kind of helps if you can makes calls on it!)
Old 28 March 2011, 03:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
A version of Office, or just Word or Excel from MS, no, it does not have that (not sure wether a "yet" is appropriate, no idea if MS is working on one), however, that does not mean you cannot view and edit excel and word docs on the iPad. There is an app called Documents To Go, which allows view / create /edit of Word, Excel ad PowerPoint files on iPad and iPhone.

Oh, and if you just want to view a word document, then you don't need anything other than the ability to get the document onto, or viewable by the iPad, eg; use Dropbox. iOS supports read-only viewing of word files. Handy if you don't need to edit a doc, just view it, but I know that isn't what most would want to do, they'd want edit capabilities.

Branching off for a moment. If the iPad could not edit MS office documents, then is that really Apple's fault. It's not their productivity application so they have no control over document formats and such like.

Last edited by Markus; 28 March 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 28 March 2011, 03:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Is there a USB slot to connect it to a printer?
Old 28 March 2011, 04:00 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Good grief!! Who ever uses wires to connect to a printer. So last decade
Old 28 March 2011, 04:06 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I forgot the ones about the internet never catching on and the fact that SMS was designed for emergencies only (to become one of the largest single media in the known Universe).

For some additional insight and amusement...

Tech Quotes
Old 28 March 2011, 04:14 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

iPad 2 is cheaper than iPad 1 by £30 which is a 6.993% decrease for the base model.
Old 28 March 2011, 04:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Some say, Jeremy Beadle would have loved an Ipad. On the other hand, he would probably have prefered a Touch

Last edited by EddScott; 28 March 2011 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: iPad: The Microwave Oven of Computing