Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help with vista on laptop

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2011, 10:54 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with vista on laptop

Okay guys looking for a bit off help and advice on various things I can try to get my young son`s laptop back working again, okay laptop is an HP g60 - 100em running vista, asked me to have a look at it tonight as he said it was not turning on, had a look at it and this is where I immediatly need major advice !!! dont know if its a virus or what but just cant seem to get the pc started as normall .

okay if i switch on the pc it will boot up until I get the enter username for the pc, at this stage I immediatly noticed neither the built in pad or external mouse would work so just typed his username in and pressed return to which it took me to another screen advising me that " AN UNAUTHORISED CHANGE WAS MADE TO WINDOWS " and was asked to type in the vista activation code which was obviously printed in a label underneath the pc itself, tried to type this in but noticed that none off the letters or keys when pressed would show up on screen which obviously prevents me from carrying onto the next stage.

to be honest was just going to reformatt the pc back to factory spec anyway which I belive can be done from the start menu once windows is actually running but again totally stumped at what I can try next to get things back to normal.

do have another pc here which is running xp if anything in terms off recovery software has to be downloaded / run on the effected machine.

any help would be very much appreciatted .

cheers
Old 14 January 2011, 11:10 PM
G20MPY
Scooby Newbie

Default laptop

try tapping f8 key on startup, go in to safe mode, if it goes in try a system restore to last time machine booted ok. if not, google system restore on your xp pc and follow instructions. ie f10 on startup and safe system restore or similar. failing that then, yes, factory restore and go to backup for data
Old 15 January 2011, 12:08 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G20MPY
try tapping f8 key on startup, go in to safe mode, if it goes in try a system restore to last time machine booted ok. if not, google system restore on your xp pc and follow instructions. ie f10 on startup and safe system restore or similar. failing that then, yes, factory restore and go to backup for data
Okay thanks for your reply, right okay tried system restore to last known good configuation but same problem, not sure what key will get me to system restore so as you say will google that one.

Okay hit f8 on start up and tried going into safe mode all loaded up okay but still not getting the mouse / curser option which prevents me getting to the menu to do a factory reset.

no back up discs were ever made as I belive windows vista etc is permantly installed and a factory reset is indeed just that.

again really stumped how to get beyond anything now ?? any other ideas to try ??

Last edited by jono300; 15 January 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 15 January 2011, 01:38 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay thanks for your reply, right okay tried system restore to last known good configuation but same problem, not sure what key will get me to system restore so as you say will google that one.

Okay hit f8 on start up and tried going into safe mode all loaded up okay but still not getting the mouse / curser option which prevents me getting to the menu to do a factory reset.

no back up discs were ever made as I belive windows vista etc is permantly installed and a factory reset is indeed just that.

again really stumped how to get beyond anything now ?? any other ideas to try ??
Have you had a look at the following?

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/biz...ctID=c00809678

Apparrently there is a F11 option when booting which may help?

Failling that you will need a MS Vista CD where you can try a 'repair' option.
Old 15 January 2011, 02:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jono300

What about using the keyboard?? Use that to open up the startmenu in safemode n run system restore or the factory reset option, It sounds like some key system driver files have been deleted resulting in loss of mouse/trackpad, or plug in a usb mouse if u have one, that might work.

The factory reset option is before Windows loads anyway isn't it, when u press F11? system startup menu.
Old 15 January 2011, 09:25 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the error message is being shown because Vista believes there is a licensing problem -- i.e. not genuine, with the OS

this can happen if certain core system files become corrupt or overwritten by crap software or a virus

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 15 January 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 15 January 2011, 10:59 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay guys thanks so much for all your advice pressing f11 did indeed get me to the stage where I could get the factory spec back again, did mean he lost a few off his photos but hopefully may be able to receover them late with the aid off a bit off freeware - any suggestions ??!!

lastly notice the fan is still constanly running away in the background, is this normal ?? have bought him a laptop coller in the hope that it will help things as I know prior to this when running av scans / watching dvd on laptop or anything else cpu intensive, occasionally the laptop would actually close down.
Old 15 January 2011, 04:37 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad u got it running again, now the next issue sounds like its definitely overheating, so a good clean inside n out is best to get rid of clogged up dust, the CPU fan is probably caked in it. You might need to take it to a shop as taking a lappy apart can be tricky if u are not use to doing them.
Old 15 January 2011, 05:54 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

[quote=jono300;9821995]Okay guys thanks so much for all your advice pressing f11 did indeed get me to the stage where I could get the factory spec back again, did mean he lost a few off his photos but hopefully may be able to receover them late with the aid off a bit off freeware - any suggestions ??!!

lastly notice the fan is still constanly running away in the background, is this normal ?? have bought him a laptop coller in the hope that it will help things as I know prior to this when running av scans / watching dvd on laptop or anything else cpu intensive, occasionally the laptop would actually close down.[/quote

Also worth having a look in the BIOS (F2 or DEL option for settings) of the laptop and look at fan settings there. Could be that the setting for the fan to kick in being set too low and also the thermal limit being the same thus telling the Laptop to sutdown. Normally for a fan to kick in I would suggest setting the limit to around 60 degrees and shut off limit to around 80-90 degrees. I take it your son hasn't been playing about with the BIOS settings?

Anyaways glad to have helped.