Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linksys Router - No Wireless

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2011, 12:44 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linksys Router - No Wireless

I have a Linksys WAG354G V2 which is five years old. Its been used as a DSL router for a couple of years and the wireless access point has been used for less than one year of that. Whilst it was used as an access point SSID broadcast was turned off.

Ive reset the device, re-configured it and connected to my ISP. Wireless is set to mixed (other options: disabled or 802.11b) and SSID broadcast set to on (with a unique name, nowof less than eight characters).

The problem I have is that I cant detect a wireless signal from the b*stard thing! ave tried two spearate netbooks running Win7 and a separate PC running Netstumbler and none of them can detect a sniff. The wireless access point is disables via the wireless settings mentioned above, both wireless standards are enabled (b&g), SSID shouldbe broadcast and visible and the wireless tell-tale late on the router is illuminated.

Can anyone suggest anything that I might have missed?
Old 08 January 2011, 01:03 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Plug in an Ethernet cable if you can.

Internet access is different (you probably already know) to internal network access.

Any machine>

Start>Run>cmd then type ipconfig /all

As a side point GC8, 5 years is fairly good for a router on 24/7.

But ,hold the reset pin in for 10 seconds minimum, hard reset, green lights or light, (far left) go red.

Login to that router now via browser, 192.168.1.1, or what ever the gateway is (ipconfig)
Old 08 January 2011, 01:06 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Try changing the wireless channel.

Also double check the settings.

As mentioned above, back up your connection details and reset the router. Sometimes if a reset does not work, try updating the firmware.

If the router is five years old then there is likely to be newer firmware available.
Old 08 January 2011, 02:39 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Information omitted: Ive tried all channels to no effect and the router works correctly in every other respect - as a network switch and as a DSL modem. Its approaching five years since I bought it, but its only been used for under two, with the wireless access point turned off in firmware for all but about six months. Had it been up and stable for five years then Id have been happier to write it off.

Its already had a hard reset, which was required as Id forgotten the exact passphrase for the router, the WPA key and it was stuck with SSID broadcast turned off and MAC filtering on...

I will check for updated firmware, although I was hoping that Id missed something obvious.