Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I-tunes required me to re register my PC, why...

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2010, 01:33 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I-tunes required me to re register my PC, why...

Has anyone else had this issue latey, my PC had a forced shut down and a couple of days later when playing some music a track came up which I had downloaded from the itunes store, it required my password to play it which I found a little strange, anyway I entered my password and a message came up on the screen advising I had used the 3rd of my 5 pc's I can register it too

So this makes it the 2nd time I have registered the same pc !!!

An reason why this should happen other than i-tunes being it's usual pants self ?
Old 28 December 2010, 02:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take a guess that the auth uses a unique ID of some kind for the machine, probably MAC address of the first active network port available. So, if you happened to use wired (ethernet) when you first authed the machine and now use wireless, or happened to just be on wireless, then it could see this as a new MAC address and thus a new machine and so prompt for auth.
Old 28 December 2010, 06:54 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Lol at using Itunes.
Old 28 December 2010, 07:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Lol at using Itunes.
You must LOL a lot, iTunes is by far the most popular media player available and to be honest, nothing can touch it.
Old 28 December 2010, 09:00 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

You must be joking right, have you ever used Winamp.

I laugh at the fact that if you buy music through Itunes, you then only get to play it on 5 computers.

wtf is that all about.
Old 28 December 2010, 10:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Would you really need to play music on more than five different machines at the same time though? If you retire an old machine you can de-auth it first and free up a slot, or you do get a chance every 12 months to free up all five slots.

If you had twenty iPhones / iPods and wanted to put all the iTMS music that you had, you could do that, providing they aren't synced with another Library on a different computer.

I've never really had a problem with the 5 machine limit. I am wondering if the iTunes Plus stuff still requires this kind of thing as I thought they removed the DRM from iTunes plus files, I could be wrong though.

I will admit to using hymn, or rhymn (something like that) to remove the DRM from the m4a files I purchased from the store, simply so I can play them on other devices that support m4a files, but not the fairplay encoding.
Old 28 December 2010, 11:00 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

The thing is though, if you pirate that music, for instance, you have none of that messing around, so you are effectively paying for the inconvenience and trouble, when will Apple realise this, they are just making there customers resentful, hence this thread really.

I would rather buy the CD, which would probably be cheaper than the Apple store, rip it and throw the CD in the loft and be free to do whatever I like with my media.
Old 28 December 2010, 11:30 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Inconvenience, iTunes has removed the need for me to ever visit a shop for TV shows, Music and Video, not to mention radio and podcasts.

Yes I've used Winamp, it's like Ubuntu, pretty good but not the real deal, only a big fat paycheck provides the real deal. Hyundai are cheap, but I'm not driving one.

You do know you can burn a CD from your purchased content, then rip that CD as you wish.

Back to the original poster, once a year you can easily clear registered computers, I do it yearly as I authorise up to my 5 user limit regularly then forget who I've given permission to.
Old 29 December 2010, 10:55 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks for the responses

Oddly I am a fan of i-tunes in the respect that because I have used it for so long I like it and I put up with it's issues, issues that one update removes sucessfully for 10 months only to see it return and remain a few updates down the line

This one for example (the scrolling and blurred track list) has returned from 2 updates back, just hoping it will resolve itself in the next few updates

Jack/Markus how do you clear the registered computers, it's not something apple advertise so much and I guess like the majority of their customers I am not either of you with the wealth of knowledge of the product.

Cheers and Happy Christmas
Old 29 December 2010, 11:53 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I'd like to know that too. After 10 months of iTunes failing to hold the music on my laptop I'm giving up and reinstating it on my old PC!!
How do you know how many computers you have authorised and which is the "master" copy?
Old 29 December 2010, 12:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0053733AAgEyO3
Old 29 December 2010, 12:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Hyundai are cheap, but I'm not driving one.
Oi! Nothing wrong with a Hyundai! I rather like my Santa Fe. Seems to work well with my iPhone too

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Jack/Markus how do you clear the registered computers, it's not something apple advertise so much and I guess like the majority of their customers I am not either of you with the wealth of knowledge of the product.

Cheers and Happy Christmas
Have a read of this
Old 30 December 2010, 10:26 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks Markus, one for the i-tunes fav folder