Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

need help on hdd cloning/partition

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 11:39 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on hdd cloning/partition

got a new laptop with 160gb hdd. hdd has partition with factory restore partition, recovery partition, etc. hasnt been turned ON yet so hdd is like fresh from the factory with OS, etc. used clonezilla to capture the hdd image. total image size captured by clonezilla is about 15gb. total hdd space used when laptop is turned ON about 20gb.

what i am trying to do now is to restore the clonezilla image into a 80gb hdd. clonezilla not doing it as saying the partition is too small. tried all sorts of options and still wont do it.

so, it there another cloning/imaging software that can resize the partition automactically to fit into a smaller hdd?
Old 18 December 2010, 12:08 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

i remember i had this issue with a program called drive image great program but it also cloned the empty sectors of the drive meaning you couldnt restore it on a drive smaller then your original one even though you had hardly no data on it the rest was just free space
Old 18 December 2010, 01:42 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acronis should work ok, workstation version is sub 40 quid, or if you know anyone that can burn you've copy of the cd bootable image.
Old 19 December 2010, 12:43 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Acronis should do it as already mentioned. You can actually download a full trial of the software, although i'm not sure it will allow you to use all the features without actually purchasing it?