Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Backing up (copying) my work PC

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2010, 11:37 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backing up (copying) my work PC

Lets say I want to make a mirror of my works pc, how would I go about this?

Do I buy an external harddrive and drag and drop everything onto there, or if I wanted to have access and use the programmes installed on my pc would I have to buy a laptop for arguements sake and copy everything across onto that?

My concern is that I assume if I just drag and drop files onto an external hard drive I wont be able to use them all unless the pc im using to access the hard drive with has the same programmes installed on them, is that correct or is it possible to mirror everything on the work pc including programmes onto the hard drive?
Old 27 September 2010, 11:45 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

What OS is it? You don't drag and drop you need sovtwate to make a image of your pc, windows 7 has this feature built in
Old 27 September 2010, 11:50 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

My work pc is XP, would this be easier if I bought a new laptop with windows 7 and went about the transfer?
Old 27 September 2010, 02:25 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You can clone your hard drive with something like this: http://www.clonezilla.org/

As Windows loads things like chip settings, hardware drivers etc... you will have to play to get it to work on your new laptop unless it is the same model/make. In some instances when I have done this it was impossible to get Windows working on the new computer.

Steve
Old 27 September 2010, 04:16 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

ah ok thanks Steve.

I think my priority concern would be my emails, as my outlook has thousands of emails which refer to quotes and has my full customer address book on there. Assuming I had a computer with outlook on there would a transfer of this data be easier rather than cloning the entire system, as I could possibly afford to lose some of the additional files if need be.

Thanks
Old 28 September 2010, 03:34 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
ah ok thanks Steve.

I think my priority concern would be my emails, as my outlook has thousands of emails which refer to quotes and has my full customer address book on there. Assuming I had a computer with outlook on there would a transfer of this data be easier rather than cloning the entire system, as I could possibly afford to lose some of the additional files if need be.

Thanks
upload emails to gmail account, job done