Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - can you change the SMTP port in a MX Record?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2002, 10:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

A friend has two seperate e-mail systems, but only one connection to the net.

There MX records currently point to there public IP address for two seperate domains.

They only have a GroupWise and Exchange system, which both run seperate SMTP services.

They can only forward port 25 to one of the servers and it's proving impossible to get them to remain seperate and use SMTP forwarding for the domains.

Is it possible to change the MX record for one of the domains to use another port (i.e. 26). That way they can configure another forwarding rule to keep them seperate?

Otherwise, I suspect they'll need to install a Smarthost to handle this.

Stefan
Old 05 April 2002, 10:50 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
As far as I know... No. Possibly some firewalls could do it by forwarding different domain names to different internal ip's or different ports.. (firewalls are not really my line of work) to the same host but different port... Does exchange care... if i remember correctly it can handle multiple domain names??

David
Old 05 April 2002, 10:52 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer is no afaik. Why not point the mail to exchange and then configure that to forward the other domains mail to the Groupwise system. There's a tab in the Internet Mail Connector to set just that facility up.
Old 05 April 2002, 10:57 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave,

I didn't think so too after a quick search on Google. Someone mentioned something called SRV? (I think) that may possible offer this in future.

The main domain is running on Novell Groupwise 5.5 and the other is Microsoft Exchange 5.5

Both are running e-mail systems for seperate company's (and seperate domains), but in the short-term we'd like to configure either the Internet Mail Connector or the GWIA to act as the SMTP server for both. The GWIA is looking impossible at the moment, so I think it may be easier (and quicker) to configure Exchange to accept all mail and forward any stuff for the other domain over to the GroupWise system.

I'm not sure if it will change the SMTP headers and prevent users from replying to messages that have been forwarded.

They only have a broadband router doing the firewall/port-forward stuff and it will only do this for IP address and port combos - unfortunatelty it's not intelligent enough to do domain info

Any more comments would be greatly appreciated,

Stefan
Old 05 April 2002, 10:58 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Sorry LanCat, typing my reply as you posted.

I think you're right. Groupwise is a pain in the @rse, so looks like we'll use Exchange to forward the stuff.

Do you know if it will change the SMTP headers?

Stefan
Old 05 April 2002, 11:21 AM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shouln't do. It's just a forwarder.
Old 05 April 2002, 11:24 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, we'll soon find out. My m8's away trying it now.

Stefan
Old 05 April 2002, 12:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Whey hey it worked

For anyone's interest we made the following changes to the Internet Mail Service on the Exchange box.

Routing Tab
-----------
Enabled rerouting of SMTP mail
Added all the Internet domain names
Local domains (i.e. one's destined for mailboxes on Exchange) were left as Inbound
Remote domain (i.e. GroupWise) was set to Always relay
Routing Restrictions were added to stop SPAM mail getting routed. We only allow routing from the IP address of the GroupWise server

Connectors Tab
--------------
Under Message Delivery -> E-Mail domains we added the remote domain and configured it to forward all messages to the IP address of the GroupWise server

Internet Mail Tab
-----------------
Within the Specify by E-mail domain setting, we added the remote domain.

Personally, I don't think you need this for the routing too work, but it does allow you to manage some of the message sizes, character sets, etc.. for the remote domain.

We restarted the service and mail is working fine to both domains.

Thanks for all your help,

Stefan