Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Win2k Sharing Help

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2002, 01:55 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I’m having some problems setting up a Win2k PC to allow other PC’s on our local network to connect to it. I want any PC to be able to connect without needing to supply a user name or password.

I have set up sharing on the PC and created a new share called C and set permissions to EVERYONE and NETWORK, but if I then try to connect to it from another Win2K PC I get asked for a Connect as and a password (I can type in Administrator and the Admin password here and get access), or from a Win95 machine it asks for a password to connect to \IPC$ and I have no idea what the password could be as I have never set one (it is not the admin password).

I must be missing an option somewhere as I have set up several other Win2K machines without any problems. So I need to know what I have missed or am doing wrong here.

Stuart
Old 04 April 2002, 04:42 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Doesnt matter the Idea of Win2k Pro is thats its secure ive got it networked with n Xp machine i needed to login
Old 04 April 2002, 05:10 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

That's fair enough but I cannot login in at all from a Windows 95 computer because I don't have the IPC$ password, which must be a default one as I have never set it.

The network is secure from the outside world (I think ) we do not need security between the comuters as about 8 guys share 3 computers

Stuart
Old 04 April 2002, 05:21 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

same as ive got! the 95 and 98 machine wont see 2k!

It asks for a password no name or out

im wondering if NTFS n FAT32 are moaning!
Old 04 April 2002, 11:39 PM
Belf
Scooby Regular

You need to enable the guest account under 'Local Users and Groups' in Computer Management. NT, 2K and XP clients can specify a username when logging in, 95/98/Me will try to use the guest account (unless they are part of a domain). This is disabled by default under NT/2k/XP.