Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

COD pay as you play?

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 08:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COD pay as you play?

Just read an article on IGN circulating about charging people to pay per game or per month to play online games, specifically COD.
This to me seems a **** take, i already pay for the game, pay for Xbox live gold so to pay to play COD online is a step too far, anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 18 July 2010, 09:10 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

They`d have a rethink if everyone stopped paying their Xbox live subs.....but people won`t!! I wouldn`t pay extra, that`s for sure.
Old 18 July 2010, 09:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Just read an article on IGN circulating about charging people to pay per game or per month to play online games, specifically COD.
This to me seems a **** take, i already pay for the game, pay for Xbox live gold so to pay to play COD online is a step too far, anyone else have any thoughts?

If you want still play COD you will pay.
For Activision this will be death warrant,Activision sell 7 millions copies for just one day,now think if every one pay just 1£ extra for online have extra 7 millions £,but how many this people who brought this game play online?
You know Activison have Blizzard(World Of Warcraft) and how many people pay for online gaming WoW,millions people and its great business for Activison.
Its same will be with other gaming model PSN has been free(yes its still free,but limited),why its now PSN+ simple because everything its only about the money.
If will be COD model(pay per online game) successful,every studio want make money as Activison.
Old 18 July 2010, 09:48 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still play COD4 over MW2 so if they do start charging for the new one they can stick it up there ****, the greedy *******s!
Old 18 July 2010, 09:50 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Public Enemy No.1 for every who like free online playing COD.
Old 18 July 2010, 09:55 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno who he is but he looks like a right **** sucker to me.
Old 18 July 2010, 10:00 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

There is NO WAY i will pay extra to play MW2.It's been hacked to f**k and Activision/Infinity Ward take ages to fix Glitches.
Old 18 July 2010, 10:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The COD franchise was always going to get milked to death, it is all the people who pay stupid amounts of cash for bloody maps that you have to blame.

If people had the common sense to say "your having a larf mate" and not pay for overpriced nonsense, then they would not be thinking "hmm, they lap it up, we can rape them some more"

Well done chaps

How many people in this thread who said they would not pay to play, have paid for the maps?
Old 19 July 2010, 11:03 AM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

This is the article http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106732p1.html

I have paid for the maps as I'm newer to the game / online scene so didn't mind so much.

I wouldn't pay any more though as that's a step too far.
Old 19 July 2010, 12:03 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

You could always sense this was coming.
Personally I'll be off to different games (Medal of Honour, Battlefield etc).

I haven't and will not pay £10.99 for 3 new maps plus 2 COD4 ones.
Old 19 July 2010, 12:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

way to make more money and i don;t think it will work.

on a slight side note, silent hunter is hte first game (other than online rpg's) that requires a working internet connection to even be able to play single player mode. Steam are refusing to put it on there system cos of it.
Old 19 July 2010, 01:06 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've paid for the maps and I started the thread, but still would not pay just for the privelidge of playing online, i already do that with Xbox live gold.
As a side issue I have Battlefield Bad Company 2 on the way now so MW2 may finally take a back seat
Old 19 July 2010, 02:34 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you want free maps, get a PC, otherwise they have you by the *****.

I have to say, the map packs I bought for COD:WAW have been bery much worth every penny, I haven't played any game as much as I have played **** Zombies.

I haven't bought any additional content for MW2 though, and only the stuff that was included for BBFC2 if you bought an original game.

I'd have to see how much I thought of a game before I considered paying to play online though.

Geezer
Old 19 July 2010, 02:49 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If people don't want to pay then they won't buy the games in the first place. The company could end up making less money in the long run, so that will be the decider. If that happens, they won't bother. The great thing about the technology/gaming industry is that it is pretty much is a totally free market, which has been responsible for the huge advances in the technology while prices either stay the same, or in the case of the majority of products, come down. The consumers will ultimately decide the fate of this plan. Can't see it working to be honest, I'll certainly not be paying to play.

Infact, just to add - I've already switched from only playing the Xbox360 to only playing the PS3. Hardly touch the Xbox now. One reason for that is because online on the PS3 is free. People will say Xbox live is slightly better for a few reasons, but the main reason I have a console connected to the net is to play online... so if one company does that for free and the other doesn't, who am I going to choose? I also think the fees to play online would result in competition too, ultimately driving prices down until one company makes it free again. Lol can't see this working.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 19 July 2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 19 July 2010, 07:39 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Would I pay specifically to play CoD online? Nope.

I bought the game, I bought some of the extra maps, I'm not going to pay anything else to play it.

This is surely a step backwards. Normally things start off expensive and as technology moves on things become cheaper, this is getting more expensive. Why? The games are gradually going up in price as well.
Old 19 July 2010, 08:20 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Would I pay specifically to play CoD online? Nope.

I bought the game, I bought some of the extra maps, I'm not going to pay anything else to play it.

This is surely a step backwards. Normally things start off expensive and as technology moves on things become cheaper, this is getting more expensive. Why? The games are gradually going up in price as well.
Don't know about that. I'm sure when I was 16 or so the games were around £40-£45. I bought MW2 for £32 (I'm 23 now), and you've got inflation to take into account too... even at £40-£45 still they are cheaper in relation to what people earn than when I was 16.
Old 19 July 2010, 08:20 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

No chance not for me

but look at world of gaycraft you pay all the time for that and it has loads of users
Old 19 July 2010, 08:45 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Don't know about that. I'm sure when I was 16 or so the games were around £40-£45. I bought MW2 for £32 (I'm 23 now), and you've got inflation to take into account too... even at £40-£45 still they are cheaper in relation to what people earn than when I was 16.
On the ps2, most RRP's were £39.99, now on the ps3 most RRP's are £49.99.

Admittedly most stores do deals, especially on launch days. I don't think I have paid the full RRP for any of my ps3 games.

One thing I have noticed though is that the one player off-line games seem to be getting shorter and easier to complete.

If you then pay for the extra maps the online game is becoming quite expensive already.
Old 19 July 2010, 09:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Single player games do appear to be getting shorter, some are stupidly short, although some are a decent length, Mass Effect 2 is a cracking game, and a "quick" play through on that is still around 25 hours to complete, my first play through with me taking my time, but not doing 100% of everything took me 37 hours! You also have a real incentive to play through it more than once, as the different choices made in the game, give different story options, this kind of thing is worth £40 all day long.

I have been paying about £40 per console game for years, i probably still have £40 price tags on some of my Sega Saturn games, although i never seamed to finish them when i was younger, either i became more l337, or games became shorter/easier.

I picked up two new 360 games this morning.

Singularity £25 (asda)
This has only just been released? its getting reasonable results on metacritic (iirc around 77/78%) the main campaign is apparently around 8 hours long, it does have multiplayer, but from the 10 or so matches i had today, its utterly ****e. The single player has been pretty good so far (nearly finished the 3rd level, had a lazy day while at work pmsl) i have been taking my time with the single player as i know that when its finished, the multiplayer is not going to keep me entertained, so it will be sold/traded in.

Splinter Cell Conviction £20 (asda)
Not quite as new, but it never took long for the price to drop down on this one either, my mate paid £40 for this just a few months back, i hear the multiplayer coop stuff is pretty good.

FWIW i only paid £26 for my MW2, and while a lot of my mates/family still hammer it, i got bored with it a long time ago, nowadays when i see them playing it, i dont even bother to put the disc in, because they all bought the overpriced nonsense maps, and i never, so half the time i cant even play with them

I would rather save the cash spent on the MW2 maps, and put it towards the inevitable £26 "COD Black Ops" deal that somebody will be doing in a few months time. Probably get another 6/7 hour single player game, and a "current" multiplayer game for 5/6 months, until they unleash either an overpriced map pack, or announce a newer COD game

One thing i would never do though, is pay £30/40 for a PC game, when it is locked down, you can not trade/sell it in because you used the serial number, etc etc

The costs of things only goes up, if fools continue to pay the increased costs, i was in my local games shop on the release day of MW2, i had already bought my copy that morning in Sainsburys for £26, but i watched people flock in and get all excited, because they could pay £45 for Modern Warfare 2 "YEAHHH, i didn't think you would have any copies left" one chap said to the lass on the till, i almost felt like saying "fella, i just paid £26 for it 10 mins down the road"
Old 19 July 2010, 09:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Single player games do appear to be getting shorter, some are stupidly short, although some are a decent length, Mass Effect 2 is a cracking game, and a "quick" play through on that is still around 25 hours to complete, my first play through with me taking my time, but not doing 100% of everything took me 37 hours! You also have a real incentive to play through it more than once, as the different choices made in the game, give different story options, this kind of thing is worth £40 all day long.

I have been paying about £40 per console game for years, i probably still have £40 price tags on some of my Sega Saturn games, although i never seamed to finish them when i was younger, either i became more l337, or games became shorter/easier.

I picked up two new 360 games this morning.

Singularity £25 (asda)
This has only just been released? its getting reasonable results on metacritic (iirc around 77/78%) the main campaign is apparently around 8 hours long, it does have multiplayer, but from the 10 or so matches i had today, its utterly ****e. The single player has been pretty good so far (nearly finished the 3rd level, had a lazy day while at work pmsl) i have been taking my time with the single player as i know that when its finished, the multiplayer is not going to keep me entertained, so it will be sold/traded in.

Splinter Cell Conviction £20 (asda)
Not quite as new, but it never took long for the price to drop down on this one either, my mate paid £40 for this just a few months back, i hear the multiplayer coop stuff is pretty good.

FWIW i only paid £26 for my MW2, and while a lot of my mates/family still hammer it, i got bored with it a long time ago, nowadays when i see them playing it, i dont even bother to put the disc in, because they all bought the overpriced nonsense maps, and i never, so half the time i cant even play with them

I would rather save the cash spent on the MW2 maps, and put it towards the inevitable £26 "COD Black Ops" deal that somebody will be doing in a few months time. Probably get another 6/7 hour single player game, and a "current" multiplayer game for 5/6 months, until they unleash either an overpriced map pack, or announce a newer COD game

One thing i would never do though, is pay £30/40 for a PC game, when it is locked down, you can not trade/sell it in because you used the serial number, etc etc

The costs of things only goes up, if fools continue to pay the increased costs, i was in my local games shop on the release day of MW2, i had already bought my copy that morning in Sainsburys for £26, but i watched people flock in and get all excited, because they could pay £45 for Modern Warfare 2 "YEAHHH, i didn't think you would have any copies left" one chap said to the lass on the till, i almost felt like saying "fella, i just paid £26 for it 10 mins down the road"
Old 20 July 2010, 06:59 AM
Will
BANNED

I'd never pay for online gaming, that's why I got a PS3

Xbox Gold
Old 20 July 2010, 09:13 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I thought that they were going to charge subsequent users i.e. if you were the first person to purchase the game it would be free.

Game companies do not like the second-hand market and this would be a way of making sure that they get some additional revenue from each sale.

Steve
Old 20 July 2010, 07:24 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

EA are bringing that in, they have brought it on on Tigerwoods PGA 11 (which incidently has seen lower than average sales in it's first month) and no doubt they will use it on Fifa 11
Old 20 July 2010, 11:06 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

What a bunch of coonts!
Old 21 July 2010, 12:05 AM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

"Pay-to-Play" Subscription Rumor Squashed

http://blackops.digitalwarfare247.co...-not-happening

Old 21 July 2010, 01:25 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by badcompany
"Pay-to-Play" Subscription Rumor Squashed

http://blackops.digitalwarfare247.co...-not-happening

great stuff
Old 21 July 2010, 10:46 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Sense at last (although I bet they were considering it...)