Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2010, 10:30 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator upgrades

I have a client that is is running ePO 3.6.0 and they wish to ugrade to ePO 4.5 with VSE 8.7i. From what I have read there is no direct upgrade path; I'd have to go 3.6 -> 4.0 -> 4.5 but seeing as the client has less than 50 endpoints and no custom policies that I can see would it be better to remove ePO 3.6 altogether and do a clean install? Assuming ePO 4.5 installs correctly and the necessary agents are checked in to the repository will the agents currently installed on the endpoints automatically upgrade or is some manual intervention needed?

TIA

Mark
Old 12 July 2010, 05:35 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Having just gone through the process for some 35,000 end points I may be able to help here

A clean install is better long term, but a pain with recreating the policies short term. If you have non (as you say above) then I would personally do the build on another box (for peace of mind) and run a domain import into the console.

Alternately, if you only have the one box, then I'd wipe EPO 3.6 off completely and scratch install 4.5

Run the Domain Import and push the agent out to all workstations from within EPO. Set this task to run daily (any with it installed will ignore the task) to catch machines not logged in.

If you keep the SAME name and the same snipe site repository (i.e. the Master repository) then the moment the new EPO Server comes online with the new agent, it'll be pushed out to the workstations anyway. We found this when one of the projects engineers inadvertently upgraded a live remote repository with the new EPO 4.5 software and anyone connecting to it got the latest software!

You need to set up a deployment task to push out 8.7 and create an autoupdate task to run hourly. Do the same for a repository update task on the main EPO Server from McAfee (1 hourly intervals)

Oh, and I'd strongly recommend spending some time looking at the 8.7i policies - they can be a little 'restrictive' when it comes to some software (like EMail from Servers!) and remote management tools.
Old 12 July 2010, 10:02 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

what the **** are you too going on about!
Old 12 July 2010, 10:17 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh Mark - if you pay the airfare. I'll come and do the work for you
Old 12 July 2010, 10:19 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
what the **** are you too going on about!

this: https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/site...uide_en-us.pdf

Old 13 July 2010, 07:07 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Kieran. Clean install it is. Don't think the client's budget would stretch that far Besides, Perth is windy, rainy and a bit on the cool side (by Perth's standards) right now.