Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Monitor cables DVI/VGA etc

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2010, 12:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monitor cables DVI/VGA etc

Hi,

I am setting up some kit from work at home, 2 * Dell 19 inch monitors, E series Docing station for my Laptop and an Aten CS-1744 KVM to run them all off. The KVM is all VGA, no DVI ports

Didnt pay much attention as DVI-VGA convertors always seem to work well, got my pc setup on the KVM last night and after a bit of faffing it displayed correct images on both screens, one from the DVI port with a converter and one from the VGA.

Come to do the lap top and plugged the dock in and then tried to connect the monitor cables to the kvm with a converter at the doc end but it appears Dell have fitted DVI-D connectors, not the dual analog/digital DVI-D or the analog DVI-A, the DVI-D doesnt have any pins next to the flat blade thing in the connector.

So, question is, I can but a DVI-D to VGA converter, will it work through my kvm, will it just pass the digital signal through the VGA cable and the monitor understand it at the other end ?
Old 25 June 2010, 12:42 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the suggested setup on my Belkin KVM and it worked just fine. Had all manner of DVI-? to VGA adaptors.

I have however, just recently switched to all DVI through a Belkin SOHO KVM which also works really well (and you can share USB stuff through it too, e.g. printers.

Cheers

Ian
Old 25 June 2010, 01:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
I had the suggested setup on my Belkin KVM and it worked just fine. Had all manner of DVI-? to VGA adaptors.

I have however, just recently switched to all DVI through a Belkin SOHO KVM which also works really well (and you can share USB stuff through it too, e.g. printers.

Cheers

Ian
Cheers Ian, just to confirm that there was definitely DVI-D in the mix there, the DVI-I on my home pc works fine as it has an analog component, all indications point to DVI-D to VGA conversion not being possible, but there are loads of suitable DVI-D --> VGA converters on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DVI-D-Male-VGA...item3f00cad300

J4CKO
Old 25 June 2010, 01:46 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Had to go dig out all the cables to check before they head back to HQ (I work full time from home) as just gone through a major kit change.

Yep, have a DVI-D to VGA adaptor in the mix, that was connected to my Dell docking station for my laptop. That was connected to the KVM and then VGA to DVI-I on my Dell monitor.

I guess it really depends if your KVM will pass a digital signal to the monitor and if the monitor will accept a digital signal via the VGA input, not all do. What I'm trying to say is you'll have to suck it and see.

I had all manner of nightmares when I first had KVMs getting the right cables etc. I've been doing this for 15 years and always had problems with the right adaptors, cables being long enough etc.

You may find it cost effective in the long run to upgrade the KVM to all DVI if you can. Only reason I moved was change of kit and needed to put a Mac in there as well. I don't usually recommend Belkin stuff but this KVM works really well, fast switching, will also switch sound and a couple of USB items as well. See here: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=461334

Cheers

Ian
Old 25 June 2010, 02:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Ian, thats much appreciated, will work something out, even if I end up just using the one vga on the back of the dock, done use the laptop much but though the screen is good, the resolution is too high for sustained work. I have ordered a coupel of the DVI-D --> Vga adaptors and will have a play, its only a couple of quid.

Dont want to change the KVM as my pc has a vga for one of the outs anyway and I have only just bought it, was £120 or so on Amazon, got an as new one (cables not even opened) off Ebay for £41 delivered, seems really good so would prefer to get some use out of my bargain, but I suppose its not a bargain if it doesnt do what I want !

Will post back when my adapters have arrive, again, cheers for your help !
Old 25 June 2010, 02:57 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

No worries fella, just hope it all works.