Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone 4 accessories

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2010, 10:25 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default iPhone 4 accessories

Just wondering what you guys were going to do in terms of accessories when the new iphone 4 comes out. Obviously because the dimensions are different, a whole lot of stuff wont fit.

For instance my iPhone dock for charging is redundant so will be selling that. Same goes for the cases etc.

But our Altec Lansing Speaker system is a pain. It has adaptor plates for the small nano we have and fits both our iphones but I dont want to sell it so lets hope they sell new adaptor plates.

Anyone else in this situation
Old 13 June 2010, 10:29 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No such problems in my house.

Old 13 June 2010, 09:33 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Or like having a £100 TomTom mount that doesn't or won't fit the Iphone 4, d'oh!!!
Old 14 June 2010, 06:58 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swen6
Or like having a £100 TomTom mount that doesn't or won't fit the Iphone 4, d'oh!!!
exactly !! PITA.
Usually the accessory manufacturers are pretty quick to rush out compatible stuff, just hoping that they get a move on .
Old 14 June 2010, 09:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll give you £30, inc. Postage.
Old 14 June 2010, 06:00 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Gonna keep it along with my soon to be redundant 3G, and have a dedicated TomTom unit......and £30??? Cheeky git!!!
Old 15 June 2010, 05:30 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

just realised my brodit proclip for charging the iphone in the car will also be useless..**** !!
Old 15 June 2010, 06:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
just realised my brodit proclip for charging the iphone in the car will also be useless..**** !!
I thought Brodit did a universal clip, that you use as a base mount, and then any proclip fitted to your other products (phones / MP3's / Sat navs) then can fitted to the mount?

Mart
Old 15 June 2010, 07:01 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
I thought Brodit did a universal clip, that you use as a base mount, and then any proclip fitted to your other products (phones / MP3's / Sat navs) then can fitted to the mount?

Mart
Unfortunately it's the holder that is the problem . You slide it in and with the different dimensions on the new iPhone I doubt it will fit
emailed both brodit and altec Lansing and so far altec have been useless. Let's hope brodit do better
Old 15 June 2010, 07:08 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

OOh look boys, bend over and take it, because Mr Jobs says so.....
Old 15 June 2010, 07:29 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by phoenixgold
OOh look boys, bend over and take it, because Mr Jobs says so.....
How about you keep those comments to yourself, troll...
Old 15 June 2010, 07:31 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Try and make your 173 post either a helpful one or funny . Cheers
Old 15 June 2010, 07:44 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
How about you keep those comments to yourself, troll...
It's not a troll post, he has a very valid point. Apple take the feckin p1ss everytime a new gadget comes out. Deliberately made to be totally incompatible with any previous accessory you may have.
Old 15 June 2010, 08:05 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by bioforger
It's not a troll post, he has a very valid point. Apple take the feckin p1ss everytime a new gadget comes out. Deliberately made to be totally incompatible with any previous accessory you may have.
I concur with you, my JBL speakers & my car stereo are both incompatible (for charging) with my iphone, but its no biggie to me really. I was planning on replacing both in the near future anyway.

It is a troll post IMHO, it offers no help or reasoned opinion, it was posted to incite - although I feel that Apple are robbing *******, I can't help but buy their shiney shiney products..
Old 15 June 2010, 08:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

So every new phone should be the same shape? I'd rather buy an adaptor.

Keep the old one, there's only one phone better than an iPhone and that's two iPhones
Old 15 June 2010, 08:27 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course the shape can change but the interface adapter should suit other accessories and stay universal. Apple could quite easily do this even with a much smaller form factor. But they don't. Example I have an ideck which usefully comes with its own adapters for mini, normal ipods n itouch/iphone will all fit. The point is another manufacturer had to make the adapters. Apple do this deliberately, purely to sell more accessories and increase revenue, it's as simple as that. And the muppets who buy the latest gadge will keep on buying the new accessories. And I am one of them
Old 15 June 2010, 09:15 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Agree about the way things are made redundant but for many of the previous incarnations there have always been adaptors that made them universal. I think that applies to many manufacturers. Look at blackberries and how they have changed etc so hardly specific to Apple which is why I thought the post was irrelevant and troll-like
Old 15 June 2010, 10:54 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

You can please yourself whether you think it's a trolling post or not. It is my opinion. Apple have EXTREME lock in on their products, always have. You can't change the batteries, you have to have their cable type. You have to use their DRM which won't work on any other product, you have to buy their apps, from their app store. Ad infinitum....

The ipod/pad/phone could be so much more if it weren't for their restrictions, and I for one, will never own one while things stay as they are.
Old 15 June 2010, 11:05 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

The ipod/pad/phone could be so much more if it weren't for their restrictions.....
In all truth, they don't need to remove their 'Restrictions', they seem to be coping just fine as they are.

Yours faithfully

Steve Jobs Biatch
Old 15 June 2010, 11:08 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Ok, I'll feed the troll, just this once....

I agree that Apple are very restrictive, however there are ways around this. On the other hand, the fact that they restrict content, means that they can keep a reign on quality control. I uesd to be an apple hater, I now own 3 ipods, an iphone, a 27" iMac & a 15" MacBook Pro - the reason I have switched to Mac? it just fecking works! - example, I owned 3 HTC phones, all running windows, before buying the iphone, they were all flakey as ****, yes I could run what I wanted on them, but they were sh1te, all down to the operating system. Since owning my iphone its been a breeze to use, does everything I need & doesn't crash or spit it dummy out when I want to browse the net. In fact I've just installed iOS 4 on it tonight & I'm very impressed with it indeed, they have nailed multi-tasking the same way they did with copy & paste, it just works!

As for the Apps, well I have a few on my phone, most of them do something useful, like the ones I use for aviation, they cost less than a fiver & make planning a route a hell of a lot easier. I also have a few games, most cost less than 2 quid, like Angry Birds, if you get a chance, play it, it's awesome & worth £0.59 (hardly going to break the bank) - as for DRM, I have no issues with that, I either rip my CD's into itunes & sync my phone, or I buy them form the itunes store. DRM is removable if you can type a few words into Google & aren't an utter spakker when it comes to computers.

Iphones aren't perfect, no flash support for a start, plus they are a lot of money, however they suit me & a lot of other people.

buy one, don't buy one, see if i care
Old 15 June 2010, 11:09 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Edit - double post nonsense.

Above is a thought out, reasoned post, try it sometime Phoenix, you might get a better response from people

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 15 June 2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 16 June 2010, 01:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

You can please yourself whether you think it's a trolling post or not. It is my opinion. Apple have EXTREME lock in on their products, always have. You can't change the batteries, you have to have their cable type. You have to use their DRM which won't work on any other product, you have to buy their apps, from their app store. Ad infinitum....

The ipod/pad/phone could be so much more if it weren't for their restrictions, and I for one, will never own one while things stay as they are.
What cable are you talking about? My pound shop usb/charger cable has worked fine for the last year.

Simon
Old 16 June 2010, 01:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's easy to hate.
Old 16 June 2010, 01:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
What cable are you talking about? My pound shop usb/charger cable has worked fine for the last year.

Simon
I think he is talking about the 30 pin connector for the iphone and ipods.
But maybe this will all change when the single charger connection thingy for europe is launched. which reminds me that has all gone quiet
Old 16 June 2010, 02:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Ah, the Apple 30 pin connector, the one that's changed once in the history of i....Everything, and that change still allowed an overwhelming majority of designed functionality. Bad Apple.

Another favourite of the negative is the lack of removable battery. Who changes batteries? Who's had a broken battery cover? In the whole of my mobile device life I've owned two spare batteries, one for a Videocamera... that I never used... and one for a Nokia 6230i, yes the fabled phone that - at the time - no-one had a charger for, apart from beside their bed.
Old 16 June 2010, 03:43 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The only accessory I ended up buying for my 3GS was a £5 cheapo in car holder from 7Dayshop.
I think I can afford to replace that and it can go with the 3GS when I sell it.
Old 24 June 2010, 07:39 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

The iPhone 4 fits the TomTom mount
Old 29 June 2010, 10:09 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

The iPhone 4 fits the TomTom mount

I take that back, tried to use it in the works van to watch the football, the phone seems to fit but won't charge and won't connect to the BT...ar$e!!!
Old 29 June 2010, 11:18 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Unlucky mate !@!

I have had a bit of a result on mine though.

Things that I thought needed sorting :

1. Altec Lansing Speaker system

It has adaptors but of course none fit the iphone. Popped into the local apple store in regent street and got these

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC598?mco=MTgxNTgxOTg

£4-5 I think so not bad and about the cheapest item they sell in the whole store !!!

2. Desktop docks. Okay nothing I can do about that, so had to stump up for the dock

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC...co=MTgxNzMxMjk

£20

3.Next up, the case. Now this has been a pain as I normally use this little gem by InCase.

Trouble is, InCase have just now decided to start looking at the cases for the iPhone 4 . So whilst I wait I found I can use my existing one (TBH the fit is a bit ****e ) and also use a cheap nasty silicon one from ebay for £2.99

4. Lastly the handsfree kit and holder in the car from Brodit.se.
Now emailed them about 2 weeks ago and they said they would be releasing one, but as luck would have it, the iPhone fits perfectly

Cost: nothing

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 accessories