Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Keep frying DDR2

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2010, 09:50 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep frying DDR2

My Asus P5K-E Wifi main board is about 2 years old. In that time I've had five or six sets of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-6400 replaced under Crucial warranty. The initial few sets were overclocked (within Crucial voltage and frequency settings) and were a notorious batch for failing, but all the replacements eventually fail with random crashes after a few months, all at standard voltages, RAM and CPU clocks. The last set lasted another week by turning the voltages up after they started crashing.

I bought a cheap stick of PC world unbranded RAM to test/keep it going, and that lasted much longer, but now that crashes too.

Put new sticks in and all is well for a while. I have two case fans. Given I'm running at stock voltages, should I get RAM coolers? Any idea why I keep frying RAM?

Could be the PSU? It is a Coolermaster one. Will plug the computer in via a surge suppressor and see how that goes though.

Don't want to randomly replace PSU and motherboard otherwise I may as well get a whole new PC.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi JB, mine is running a stupidly high OC, and the RAM must be over-volted as a result because it's really toasty.... I simply added another case fan ( sat on the graphics card ! ) to cool it. Mine is 1066 OCZ - can't fault it as it's running at 1167 at the moment.

HTH

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 31 May 2010 at 08:18 PM.