Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Red Dead Redemption?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2010, 07:15 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Red Dead Redemption?

Not seen any threads on Rockstars next blockbuster. Due out on the the 21st May.
I almost pre-ordered it but then realised I still haven't had time to finish Ballard of Gay Tony on GTA-IV so a bit pointless rushing to get something else to 'not' play

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...ead_redemption
Old 12 May 2010, 12:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

To many stories been floating about while in development for my liking.

Will let the dust settle after release before deciding for myself.
Old 12 May 2010, 12:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

To many stories been floating about while in development for my liking.

Will let the dust settle after release before deciding for myself.
Old 12 May 2010, 03:07 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

ohhhhh do tell!
Everything I've heard about it suggests it'll be on par with GTA-IV.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

News pages/blogs over the course of the development claimed that the project was nearly scrapped as they thought it was beyond fixing, never going to be good enough etc etc

I also recall the devs kicking off about the development claiming they were basically being forced to work in ways they did not want to, to try and push the game out to get some of its reported huge development costs recuperated.

I have been reading this kind of stuff over the past 1 or 2 years if i remember rightly.

I hope its good, but i have been burned a few times recently with the hype machine, so i decided i was going to be a bit more careful in future.

My gut instincts say "woagh their horsey"

http://www.destructoid.com/possible-...d-160314.phtml
Old 12 May 2010, 09:15 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Some more

Rockstar San Diego’s Red Dead Redemption "was a complete disaster for most of 2009” and “there are huge problems with it still", according to Rockstar sources close Joystiq.

The site’s moles say that mismanagement has resulted in the game taking over six years to make, leaving it incapable of recouping its development costs unless it surpasses five million sales.

"The functional team that was Midnight Club was shattered,” said one source. “All the people who didn't quit or get fired were thrown onto Red Dead Redemption, many of them being demoted. The completely dysfunctional team that is RDR was put to top priority. The people who had floundered on that project or outright screwed it up were promoted and are now in complete control of the studio, and they're running it into the ground."

Originally scheduled to launch last year for PS3 and Xbox 360, Red Dead Redemption’s release was pushed back to the first half of the 2010 business year ending April 30, 2010.
Spidey Sense is tingling

I was given the Liberty City Stories (xbox) for Xmas and just finished off the Lost and Damned last week (i did the Ballard of Gay Tony one first)

My copy of GTA4 was traded in about a month after release, so i traded the LCS game in, got more back than the missus originally paid for it and picked up GTA4 for the pc instead in the steam sale

Got plenty to work through now, so i can bide my time with the cowboy version

Last edited by StickyMicky; 12 May 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 13 May 2010, 11:23 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Is that why Take 2 are publishing it rather than Rockstar direct (like they did with GTA4?)

You've got me worried now. Might hold off as well, although more down to the fact I haven't got time to play it

Crackdown 2 though, I'll be buying that cause I LOVED the first one.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:41 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It has been getting good reviews though, so it can't be a complete disaster
Old 17 May 2010, 09:59 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

I preordered it after seeing this: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1...dr_051710.html
Old 17 May 2010, 11:08 PM
Cunaide
Scooby Regular

i pre ordered mine last week, i heard it was quite good and the same as gta just sent in western times, im looking forward to playing it
Old 19 May 2010, 11:16 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Got to order before 2pm to get it here for Friday... so tempted and I know I won't have time to play it...
Old 19 May 2010, 04:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Just looking at Metacritic and its averaging well at the moment, although i find with Metacritic you need to wait a little while for it all to settle down, IIRC some reviews carry more "weight" in the final score ?

IIRC GTA4 got amazing reviews, but the 360 version IMO is a pile of laggy ****e compared with the PC version.
Old 19 May 2010, 07:30 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I was tempted to get it like so many games at the moment but i've got decent games stacked up i've hardly had time to play such as
GTA IV
Gears of War 2
Street Fighter 4
and PGR4 which I picked up for £5 and hardly touched.

Not had the 360 too long though, so I can buy all the old games really cheap and love them. COD MW2 still keeps taking up my time
Old 19 May 2010, 07:33 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been on Usenet a few days now

I had a half hour on my banned 360 playing it on Monday night, wasn't that impressed and I really loved the GTA series.
Old 20 May 2010, 07:48 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it's one of those games where if you haven't spent some of your hard earned you won't feel compelled to put the time in to get the most out of it?
I was the same with Fallout 3 but returned to it eventually and really liked it.

Kotaku reports that many users are experiencing invisibility bugs with the recently released Red Dead Redemption on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but Rockstar is already working on a fix.
Among the disappearing items are player characters, guns, hands, and even horses.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 20 May 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 20 May 2010, 06:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Also a patch apparently already inbound, as people playing over system link, are not able to play 9 hours worth of the campaign.

Bugfest.
Old 22 May 2010, 11:25 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I'm reading good reviews for this at the moment! Has anyone got it yet?

I'd like it but i've not really had any time to spend on the 360 recently and like others on here have 3/4 games to still work through.

Is there a demo on the market place?
Old 23 May 2010, 11:29 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My mate picked it up, will pester him in a bit to see what he thinks (he is playing it now)
Old 23 May 2010, 11:39 AM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

Yup had it since it came out and have completed the first chapter already (blooody long story though)

Personally i think it's really good the game play and graphics are awesome and have that signature Rockstar style as do all there games. the computers AI system is also pretty impressive... it running the same game engine as GTA but as the environment is smaller in Red dead (even though its relay huge!) the engine can put allot more in to the AI

weapons and fighting styles are good, love being able to lasso someone, tie them up and take them somewhere (can put them on the railway and let a train do your dirt work haha)

My only major issue is the amount of dam time I've spent riding my horse between locations! like you do one task one side of the map then the next task/story is on the other side of the map and you have to mission it all the way over by yourself.... but if you like the whole freedom to do whatever you want then its pretty wicked.

haven't really delved into the online multi player aspect, but from what i understand Rockstar put allot of time into that as there are quite a few online achievements to get. i played a tad bit of free roam with a friend and blasted heads off gang members and was fun, lots of ranking up to do as as you rank up new features and weapons become available. but yeah haven't done much of that as I'm stuck in the epic long story haha

that's my quick review, i like it and will continue to bomb through the story to complete it. I'd give it an 8.5/10

Last edited by Scooby_CL; 23 May 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 23 May 2010, 08:14 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

How do you capture someone alive? I shoot them in the leg but they try and get up to run away so I shoot the other leg and they die!?
Old 23 May 2010, 09:10 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

You capture them alive with your Lasso, that you receive at some point (around 2 hours in the game). I am about 4 hours in the game and think it's awesome. The level of details, the story, the dialogues and voice acting plus the awesome gameplay is simply stunning. I haven't even touched the multiplayer of it, but am looking very much forward to it.
Old 24 May 2010, 06:55 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Sounds good! Is it a better option than Just Cause 2 then?
Old 24 May 2010, 10:40 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Ahh right, I've not got the lasso yet.
The thing(s) I find annoying are the gang members who attack you once you've killed your bounty, their horses seem to be able travel 2x faster than your horse (to catch up to you)!
The other thing is that they've used the same bloke to voice the main character that they used for Lost and the Damned. I keep expecting him to say "Lost forever"
Old 24 May 2010, 05:52 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

you will get faster horses in time, just switch them every once in a while. I don't know about the voice acting bit, but would also get annoyed if I knew the voice. I wish I could swim in this game but it doesn't work, you die.
Old 25 May 2010, 11:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

You can't swim? that's a backward step!
Unless perhaps cowboys never learnt to swim.....
Old 26 May 2010, 11:11 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoroughly enjoying this at the mo (never bothered with any of the GTA series).
never worry about the gang members who chase you just see this as an opportunity for more cash and ammo
I'm trying to spend more of my time doing the side missions/ability challenges but they do require the other areas being open,I've nearly finished Mexico which I've really enjoyed and this has opened up the last area (hopefully)
As for travelling on horses,just set a waypoint to where you want to go then set up a camp and use the travel to location option.
Old 30 May 2010, 09:17 PM
Sy5
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of buying this. Is it any good on-line? Been on COD MW2 all year and fancy a change.
Old 30 May 2010, 09:37 PM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

it wont compare at all to MW2 so you might be disappointed (online MW2 is sooo much better)... it is fun and there are loads of achievements to get, really is best played with a big group of friends online though as you can start a posse and really have some fun.

completed it now (the story anyway) not bad bit long winded but still a very good game all the same

Last edited by Scooby_CL; 31 May 2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: coz i cant spell for shizzle yO
Old 30 May 2010, 10:00 PM
Sy5
Scooby Regular

Is it similar to Far Cry 2?
Old 31 May 2010, 09:35 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always look here to see what people think about games http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/95792...ead-redemption

It's basically GTA but with cowboys (3rd person adventure NOT a FPS)

Scooby CL it's posse as a posy is a bunch of flowers

Quick Reply: Red Dead Redemption?