Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

need to secure a router

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2010, 04:27 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post need to secure a router

I've got a D100 router for my lad with a dongle in it connected by ethernet to his xbox. Can someone tell me how to secure the wireless connection so no-one else can connect to it.
Old 04 May 2010, 10:09 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

If both devices support WPA, I would recommend that over WEP. No harder to configure, but harder to crack.

I guess if you live in the middle of the countryside, where your nearest neighbour is a mile down the road, don't bother. If you live somewhere where you can see lots of wireless networks (it also means they can see yours) then use WEP or WPA.

I run mine with WPA2, MAC address filtering and I've hidden my network... just for good measure. My netbooks, work laptop, PS3, Wii and iPhone can still connect, so it will do! That said I can only see two other networks from my house, one with no protection, and the other with WEP (which "could" be hacked with a simple application)
Old 04 May 2010, 12:17 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys

The thing is i'm a bit computer illiterate, i know that i need to put a wep key in but don't know how. The other router i've got was easy bacause as soon as i set it up it asked for the key and that was printed on the router, just like the bt one i had, but this one just connects as gateway with no request, and i have no clue how to do it. I'm running xp. Can anyone walk me through what i need to do
Old 04 May 2010, 08:41 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave, that one is 3networks version and the one i have is t-mobile but it's only the looks that differ.

I'll download it an have a go