Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Macbook now with varying signal wireless strength.

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2010, 08:26 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Macbook now with varying signal wireless strength.

I have a Macbook OS10.4.11 that I use downstairs. The BT hub is upstairs in the study with the desktop Mac hardwired. Never had an issue with wireless signal strength before, always at max. Just recently the signal strength has started to vary from max to min , changing every few seconds then settling down again, but not always on max. Tried the obvious and took the macbook up to the study-result-signal at max, never varied. So, is it some sort of issue with the macbook or do I have to call India ! ? I haven't changed any settings, all as it always has been.

Cheers and thanks

JBL
Old 31 March 2010, 10:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Try changing the channel the wireless basestation or router is set to use. It is possible that another wireless deivce is using the same channel and causing problems.
Old 01 April 2010, 11:10 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Download a free app called "iStumbler".

Its a small app that tells you what channel all other wifi devices are using in the range of your mac and tells you your frequency, signal strength and noise of your own connection. If I use channel 4; which no other devices shown as being used in the range of my mac; my connection to my router is around 6% as I assume something in the house is using that frequency

After downloading this app and monitoring/changing my channel, my signal strength went up 40% to 92% and stopped my erratic connection issues.