Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

networking genius required...or at least someone who knows more than me!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2010, 11:59 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question networking genius required...or at least someone who knows more than me!

...So that shouldn't be hard

What I have is my home wireless network set up via my BT home hub.
I have just got a cctv system that can be networked and viewed remotely (inc. via an app on my iPhone apparently)
Now I assume I have a 'static' type network??? if so then the instructions say

but what is my ip address? I did ipconfig thingy and if I'm right that gives me the ip address of the machine I do it on?
the hub shows this as my network details :

however the DVR for the cctv is connected to the ethernet and it's not finding it . The 2 units that are shown in ethernet are not connected and as such are showing inactive.
Should the router just not recognise the DVR when it gets plugged in to it?
This is really doing my head in!
Please help me!

Cheers

Paul.
Old 18 March 2010, 12:09 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do ipconfig and look for DEFAULT GATEWAY , that is the routers address.

chances are your router hands out dynamic ip address, but you can probably add a fixed one e.g. 192.168.1.50 and set the IP address on the camera to be this.

also how many wireless connections can that hub handle?
Old 18 March 2010, 12:28 AM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

I agree, think your router will definitely be set up as DHCP. You need to go into one of the options like LAN setup (knowing BT probably under an advanced menu).. You will find that you should be able to reserve a range of addresses either for the dynamic (dhcp / auto) bit to do it's work, or for a fixed assignment. Once you've decided which fixed Ip address to use for the camera, you need to set the camera to it, via it's menus... chances are, the setup will be something like - default gateway 192.168.0.1, then you might need to add a subnet mask.. again this will be something like 255.255.255.0, and then it will ask for the ip - this is where you assign it the IP address (static) you fixed up earlier in the router page.

If this is all set up as it should be you should be able to view this on your network, or via an iphone or laptop using wifi... To go one step further, you can use a service (which is free) like dyndns (use google) and then you'll be able to view the camera anywhere in the world (if this is desirable )

If you need any more help PM me... I've done this a few times before.
Old 18 March 2010, 01:24 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys some of this is making sense to me.
I have now set most of it up.
still can't get the iphone to connect to it but I've got it showing through the PC. may be only locally though??
Old 18 March 2010, 02:30 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Probably yes, using internal address 192.168.xxx.xxx etc.

To view your network and CCTV remotely (from outside your network) you will need to find your external address (issued by your ISP) from here;

What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...

So, you will now need to forward the port number that the DVR is using within the Sky router, then the only difference between accesing the device within your network (internal address 192.168.xxx.xxx) and remotely (external address, from the link above) is typed in a browser your external address followed by the port number, eg

254.165.155.178:8080
Old 18 March 2010, 03:47 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Probably yes, using internal address 192.168.xxx.xxx etc.

To view your network and CCTV remotely (from outside your network) you will need to find your external address (issued by your ISP) from here;

What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...
Right, got that.
Originally Posted by Dedrater
So, you will now need to forward the port number that the DVR is using within the Sky router, then the only difference between accesing the device within your network (internal address 192.168.xxx.xxx) and remotely (external address, from the link above) is typed in a browser your external address followed by the port number, eg

254.165.155.178:8080
Not so got that
Old 18 March 2010, 04:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

What the destructions say:

Think I've done all this

Can't find the DNS numbers in ipconfig????
Old 18 March 2010, 04:15 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Well do BT allocate your hub a fixed external IP? If not then it will keep changing and be hard to determine externally. You will also need to set up NAT on your router to map the external IP address to internal IP where the camera is set up. Finally you may need to open TCPIP ports on the router /firewall.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:57 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

lol!
It's a whole other language!
Old 18 March 2010, 06:45 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Do you know if you have a static ip address with BT? Chances are you haven't, I have to pay extra for mine each month (quid or so I think) So every time your router restarts or every few days you will need to log on to the router and find you new ip address issued by BT, a royal pain in the ****.

As for port forwarding with the hub, I don't know exactly, I dont use them, so will let someone else answer that for you.

You might want to try Googleing the make of the CCTV and find a support forum for it
Old 18 March 2010, 09:02 PM
baldfox
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, I set someone up with F2S.com, we don't have a static IP address... on the network, I set the camera up to 192.168.0.X as static, having added it under LAN Ip (on a netgear router). I then set up a dyndns account (which is free) and it did everything for me. I think I only had to add one port forwarding rule and that was that. No probs at all, and the camera comes complete with a built in user and password so it's secure.

So whilst a static IP address would be advantageous (although you have to pay), I don't think it's necessary. Good luck with it. What router do you have ? Also, if you use teamviewer one of us might be able to help you set it up remotely...