Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virgin Media - Rename router and password-change help!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2010, 09:11 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Virgin Media - Rename router and password-change help!

Hi

I joined VM for their quick optical BB a few months back. Before Xmas I experienced some local downtime. After loads of conversations with idiot call centres I was told to reset the router.
All working good since. However I have a couple of issues:-

1. The router once had a unique name and password, allocated by me. Both are now the generic "Virgin" set names.. Does anyone know how to go about changing these as I can't seem to find the option within the menus?
Note I have a netbook connected wirelessly and a PC hardwired. I read somewhere that I may have to have them both switched on and hard-wired before I attempt this change?

Hope someone can help as I'm hoping issue 2 will resolve itself from this too...

2. I have a work laptop which can connect remotely to my company network via GRAS. It did work at home but since we have upgraded laptops it no longer connects... It does work at wireless hotspots though so I know it must be a problem at my end. As I say, resolving item 1 may sort this also!

Thanks

Nick
Old 14 March 2010, 09:43 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

my wifi cuts out most nights at 9pm on my virgin router (white netgear one) but I think its a neighbour using the same channel as me, Hence I have renamed my channel "stop using my channels u ****ing idiots"

I don't think you can change the username but I have definitely changed the password on mine, set it to mac filtering and the password and username should not be a problem anyway....
Old 14 March 2010, 10:43 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

As you know what a channel is and they obviously don't - wouldn't it make more sense for you to change yours to a different channel?
Old 15 March 2010, 01:12 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

i can pick up about 9 wifi routers last time i checked, I had mine setup first so its only common sense to use a different channel to your neighbour, i kept changing channels only for someone new to setup there router on mine again