Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows Vista, or "Windows Elastoplast"

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2010, 06:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Windows Vista, or "Windows Elastoplast"

I think it's the latter. Every morning when I boot up the computer, it's found MORE updates for Vista. And about every four days or so, it wants to close down to instal them, you know the message, "Windows needs to Close. It will close in 10.00 minutes and counting".

What the hell is wrong with Microsoft if after so long they STILL need patches for what was their flagship o/s?
Old 09 March 2010, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

But why does it need so MANY?
Old 09 March 2010, 10:14 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Comes with the Microsoft territory, like Adobe and Java which are almost as bad.

You've just reminded to to click the update icon in the bottom right of the screen thats been flashing at me for god knows how long. (auto download, but manual install ).

I believe its not just Vista; XP at one point was just as bad (no longer supported now so no more proper updates). Not had the benefit of toying with Win7 yet; got a PC on order due by the end of the month with Win7 installed, so I'll see if thats any better.

Its also depends on what other Microsoft products are installed, as it uses the same update tool. Things like office, bit defender, works, media player, silverlight etc. So the more Microsoft stuff you have installed, the more updates it'll do.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09 March 2010, 10:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

just checked: 1 important update. 39 optional updates....34 of which are language pack updates...Might come in handy, you never know a Lithuanian may decide to use my PC one day
Old 09 March 2010, 05:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

He he, had a client drop in a Vista laptop that's never been connected to the internet:

96 important update: 674.4mb

It started downloading at lunch time, and its still installing as I type (96th update)
Old 09 March 2010, 10:12 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Comes with the Microsoft territory, like Adobe and Java which are almost as bad.

You've just reminded to to click the update icon in the bottom right of the screen thats been flashing at me for god knows how long. (auto download, but manual install ).

I believe its not just Vista; XP at one point was just as bad (no longer supported now so no more proper updates). Not had the benefit of toying with Win7 yet; got a PC on order due by the end of the month with Win7 installed, so I'll see if thats any better.
Its also depends on what other Microsoft products are installed, as it uses the same update tool. Things like office, bit defender, works, media player, silverlight etc. So the more Microsoft stuff you have installed, the more updates it'll do.
I have a laptop running W7 and the updates are far less than either XP or Vista. Infact, I can only remember once since I got it about a month ago. A couple of nice things about W7 is start up takes less than a minute and shutdown about 20 seconds (At the moment anyway ).
Old 10 March 2010, 07:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

MMT: those times are similar, or maybe a bit longer, than mine on Vista.
Old 10 March 2010, 03:21 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

The nature of the MS beast, its the biggest so its the one all the hackers hit.....
Old 10 March 2010, 08:01 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
MMT: those times are similar, or maybe a bit longer, than mine on Vista.
Well Jeff, that's a lot better than my Vista machines. I have an XP desktop that takes at least 10 minutes to start up