Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Trying to set up an old PC - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2010, 11:06 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to set up an old PC - a few questions

My trusted old tower PC running XP finally packed up. In fact I bought a Toshiba laptop as I thought that would do the same job. Very disappointed - see Windows 7 thread.

Anyhow my PC man seems to have got the old tower working and has reinstalled most of the stuff I have. I spent the weekend tidying things up but need some advice on a couple of minor things.

1) The font size on most programmes needs to be reduced e.g. on Outlook Express. I have tried the obvious things like "View" and "Make font smaller" but this doesn't seem to do anything

2) If I go to say, Favourites, the window size is small when it opens. How do I default this to full page?

3) What is the best way of transferring data from my old PC to the new laptop. I know I can use an external drive but is there a quicker way?

4) The internal TV card which I used to watch iPlayer sometimes is kaput and chap suggested I buy an external USB plug-in one. I need a "HavPage Win EV USB stick" apparently. Google just gives me a mass of different cards so where do I get this one? A price indication would help.

Thanks a million. All contributions welcome

David
Old 08 February 2010, 01:20 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

A TV card would be for watching broadcast TV, iPlayer is for recorded programs watched over the Net from BBC. You wouldn't need a TV card to watch normal programs available on iPlayer (just a decent Net connection and graphics cards).

If you need a TV card, then I think you really only need to make sure it can recieved freeview, there are a now quite a few external USB sticks on the market. I don't think you need particular one, but you may need to check if you have USB1 or USB2 ports though and that may limit your choice.
Old 10 February 2010, 12:50 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

3) What is the best way of transferring data from my old PC to the new laptop. I know I can use an external drive but is there a quicker way?
Buy a network crossover cable
Old 10 February 2010, 01:41 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If your 'fonts are large' then Id suspect that the video adapter drivers arent installed / installed properly: or you simply have it set to 640x480 or 800x600 pixels resolution.
Old 10 February 2010, 01:55 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

OK, thanks. I'll get on the case.

1) What should I have for resolution?

2) Are these crossover things expensive? PC World? Do they just connect the computers using say the USB ports?

Thanks, David
Old 10 February 2010, 02:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A crossover cable is similar to a normal network patch lead, but with a couple of wire swapped over. Youd use it to connect two computers via ther network adapters, without using a network hub: if you use a hub youd use a pair of conventionally wired patch leads. Id expect to pay about £1... Yes, from 99p on eBay

With regards to your resolution: Id expect 1024x768 if youre using a 15" LCD display and 1280x1024 if its 17" (CRTs can run a number or resolutions, but Id expect 1024x768 as a minimum). LCDs should be run at their native resolution, so I cant really suggest anything beyond either reading the specification in the manual or Googling the model for the spec. If you go to Control Panel > Display Settings and look at the resolution, then youll have an idea where you stand. If higher resolutions as described above arent offered, then your video adapter drivers arent installed (/installed correctly). If theyre there then you simply need to set the resolution according to the displays requirement.
Old 10 February 2010, 02:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I feel as though I have done my good deed for the day now
Old 10 February 2010, 02:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GC8
I feel as though I have done my good deed for the day now