Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Backup scenarios- Mac studio

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2010, 02:57 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Backup scenarios- Mac studio

Just playing around with various scenarios for a client.
Because they are a design studio and chuck around some pretty heft files on a daily basis, their backup needs vary and there are cost issues that need to be tackled as well.

Layout - Mac server that is RAID 5 with about 3TB of data. This is the central file sharing location. This data is backed up currently as an intrim measure to another raid (but in the same location)

( I know !! it was setup as an emergency measure as the last IT company had done no provision for tape backup or anything !! )

The mac users also like to have removable desktop storage which they use to backup thier work and then lock away on a nightly/weekly basis in fireproof cabinets. The size of the data means it is easier to do that instead of chucking it at the server and again historic

Costs is an issue but I am trying to weigh up the element of @oh **** against cost and was wondering what is the best backup scenario within these constraints.

Something like A drobo located centrally for the main backup of the server. Stick it in a cabinet so it safe

Then need to decide whether to go down offsite backups, tape with ones taken offsite etc

They know something needs to be done and soon, just trying to find the right balance
Old 01 February 2010, 08:40 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem you are going to have with tape is the size of the data. LTO4 tapess only take 1.6TB when compressed and that is assuming you get the maximum amount of compression which I doubt with images and Indesign files.

What does the client want? What is their budget. How much new data is created everyday on average?

Darren
Old 03 February 2010, 12:16 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Sorry Darren should have replied sooner.

Budget is around £4-5 K

Data created each time is around the 1-2GB mark, may be higher

Am thinking of a combination of the following:

Drobo unit with around 6TB of storage (RAID) using a Droboshare located in a safe and secure cabinet hidden away in the building with a network and power access to it. That way they have somewhere to store their data during a working week, access their files daily etc. That would solve the theft element and could also contain a backup of the Mac server disk image in case of the main server being stolen and I could restore it to another mac. That way all data and server files are available in the case of a theft and quickly restorable within a certain time frame.

Cost ?? Around £600 plus engineering time

Fire brings up the second hurdle.
Obviously having the Drobo unit in a cabinet means it will have ventilation holes and holes for the power, network etc which means a fire will negate that.

So we need an addition to the backup scenario that balances ease of use with cost and access in case of an emergency/fire etc

The most expensive route is the tape solution. Costly because of the hardware element and costly in terms of user interaction, time spent changing tapes, performing disaster recovery tests etc.
It does have the advantage that once in , the tapes can be used for archival purposes, thus reducing the size of the entire backup at points in the year and the media can be stored either offsite or in fireproof cabinets

Downside is the total amount of data it can backup as you mentioned, 1.6TB compressed is nothing when you look at how much data this company chucks around. I forsee a rapid increase in number of tapes being used which is something I dont want to happen.

Cost ??? £2500 for the autoloader, £100-200 for backup software like EMC Retrospect 8 and media LT04

Final supporting/additonal option is ONline backup. Using someone like
Online Backup from Backblaze
I could initiate a backup of the server/drobo data over a timescale of 2-3 weeks and then incremental. They charge $5 per month per computer so the computer would be the server and it is unlimited.
It does not backup apps, server files, OS etc which is fine as I just want the company data safe.

So what do you lot think ??
A good compromise between cost, access, reliability and redundancy ??
Old 09 February 2010, 05:32 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

any other ideas guys ???
Old 09 February 2010, 05:44 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Swiss, I'll have a look tonight at the information you posted.

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 09 February 2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelt my name wrong, it's been a long day
Old 24 February 2010, 11:42 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Spelling your name right is not important when you are frazzled

Going to maybe tweak this scenario a bit, just wondering what other people thought