Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

wireless router, cable connection, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2010, 03:36 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wireless router, cable connection, which one?

Want to have wireless roaming capability in the house so about to take the plunge and go wireless.
But it needs to be for Virgin/Cable.

I've looked on amazon and ebay and there are refurbed and new but other than that I'm at a loss.

Main uses will be casual surfing, including youtube, occasional software downloads and wireless printing etc

Please assist as it's a minefield out there.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:50 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I recently got a Belkin G+MEMO in PC World for £28 (prior to vat increase) and works perfectly, I have 10mb Virgin Broadbannd which I use for surfing, you tube, downloading from itunes etc and also online gaming with the Wii, never had a problem with it
Old 12 January 2010, 10:07 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you go in to PCWORLD the ADSL and CABLE units are kept separately, so easy to distinguish. Depending on whether you want a wireless router or wireless modem/router and of course what wireless speed (i.e. g or n) will inform you of your requirements.
Old 12 January 2010, 11:18 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Given what you want to do which is surf and wireless print I would recommend an Airport Express. This will give you wireless routing. It will also allow you to connect a USB printer and provides software that is so easy to set up on any computer to allow you to wireless print.

Shaun mentions G and N networks. You will only need N if you have all wireless N devices installed, otherwise it will revert to G anyway - it is slower - but not practically so for what you want to do.
Old 12 January 2010, 11:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

PS Google Wireless router for Virgin cable - there are loads of practical suggestions.
Old 13 January 2010, 09:32 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

many thanks for all the advcie.
How will I be able to find out whether my current crop of machinary is N rated?
I have 2 laptops and a notebook in the house, yet to buy the printer so that can be decided upon depending on what router I go for.

Excuse my numptyness, but I have the cable comes into the house into a box, from this the "cable" runs up to a box upstairs which is where we currently connect via ethernet type leads.
I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that I would only need the wireless router and that I would connect the router into the box upstairs on the end of the cable?

Thanks again guys, if any of you want a bridge or hotel building in return then let me know
Old 13 January 2010, 09:35 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

also, sorry, airport express is an apple product, does this work for any wireless connection or is it apple specific?