Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help - trying to autoplay pc game

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2010, 06:30 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - trying to autoplay pc game

Trying to play a game on my pc ( windows xp ) the game is on disc, insert the disc but for some reason the game does not autorun, if I go into " my computer " and press on the actual game icon I then get :

1/ Directx 9
2/ autorun
3/ autorun notepad style icon
4/ icon
5/ setup

Have clicked on the setup icon and I get a window asking if I want to install game on hardrive- done this and it installed correctly, after installing it then asked me if I wanted to install Directx 9 to which I also did.

then clicked on the autorun icon and I then get a screen asking if I wanted to :

1/ install game
2/ install directx 9
3/ exit

again installed game

opened the notepad style icon named " autorun " and got the following text :

[autorun]
open=autorun.exe
icon=icon.ico, 0

Bit confused by it all ??!! just want to pop game in disc and play the game, why is it not just starting up when I do this ?? I take it I have installed the actual game to hardrive in doing the above and I should not really require the actual disc to play it anymore ??

not really bothered by this would have been happy enough just to have played the game from disc.

do I possibly have to set something within this notepad autorun icon ??
Old 09 January 2010, 08:28 PM
Will
BANNED

All my pc games require me to put the disk in everytime to play them mate. If i have a disk that wont work anymore (Kids scratched it to death) i download a no cd crack for that game.

Regarding the autorun: Click Start, then Click Run Type regedit Click OK. then find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>
SYSTEM>
CurrentControlSet>
Services>
Cdrom>

Double click "Autorun" the value should be set to 1.
Old 09 January 2010, 08:30 PM
Will
BANNED

Oh and regarding playing the game. Does the same happen if you go in to, START, PROGRAMS and clicking on the icon from there?
Old 09 January 2010, 09:47 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Umm, I think you need to find the proper start.exe type file and run the installed game from that.

The way I read the post, makes me think you have not done much pc gaming, its almost as if you were expecting it to play from the disc, which they rarely do on pc.
Old 09 January 2010, 10:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Pc games are funny that way, did the game actually install the 1st time you tried or did it have a problem and thats why its asking you to install it again?? The game won't play till its installed and the cd/dvd is sitting in the drive or as above just get a no cd as its far far easier
Old 10 January 2010, 10:44 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks guys as always appreciatte the advice, yep was under the impression it was just a case off inserting disc and the game would autorun, still not sure about this install to hardrive option thou ?? if I did this (which I am sure I have done already ??!! ) would it allow me to play the game without the disc being in the drive ??

anyway will have another look today and see how I get on but again thanks for the advice.
Old 10 January 2010, 12:57 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Yes, when you installed the game to the hard drive, you need to play the game from the hard drive, although some times the game disc is required to be in the drive as a security check, even when you are playing it from the HD

They usually do one of 2 things
1.Give you a new desktop icon to click to start the game
2.Give you a new start menu option to start the game

If you dont have any of the above options then you need to find the folder that the game was installed into, check the folder "Program files" on your hard drive for something that looks like your game, inside that you probably have an icon for starting the game up.

When you find it, you can make a copy of this shortcut and place it on the desktop, to make things easier in the future.

BTW what game is it ?
Old 10 January 2010, 08:47 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Yes, when you installed the game to the hard drive, you need to play the game from the hard drive, although some times the game disc is required to be in the drive as a security check, even when you are playing it from the HD

They usually do one of 2 things
1.Give you a new desktop icon to click to start the game
2.Give you a new start menu option to start the game

If you dont have any of the above options then you need to find the folder that the game was installed into, check the folder "Program files" on your hard drive for something that looks like your game, inside that you probably have an icon for starting the game up.

When you find it, you can make a copy of this shortcut and place it on the desktop, to make things easier in the future.

BTW what game is it ?
Was kinda hoping that particular question was not asked !!!!

Euro truck simulator Gold

"" Yorkie bars are on me " !!!!
Old 10 January 2010, 09:01 PM
Will
BANNED

18 wheels of steel across america is a good one mate

And have you had it to play yet?