Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

I-Phone, should I?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2010, 09:30 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I-Phone, should I?

Ive pondered the idea forquite a while but the cost has held me back, Ive been using a Nokia 8800 for the past 4-5 years (Old hat I know) so its about time I updated.
I spent a fair bit of time in my local Apple store on the weekend going through an I phone and liked what I saw so is there any reason not to?
It comes out on Vodaphone this month so this is where I'm looking.
The phone will be used for the normal,Calls,SMS the odd E mail and a little web use. I guess with time I'll use other features as I get used to it.
I'm looking at a 3GS 16 Gig and as I'm not one for changing my phones very often I'm wondering if it will serve me well.

Many thanks.
Old 04 January 2010, 11:28 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite a few new handsets coming out in the next few weeks so I'd hold fire.... Apple also tend to update their handsets around June so it really depends on how desperately you need a new handset.

The much anticipated Nexus One is due to be announced tomorrow... do a search and see what you think.
Old 04 January 2010, 11:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Buy it. Perhaps consider the 32 gig as the longer you keep it the more you'll put on it.
Old 05 January 2010, 09:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Best phone I've ever owned.
Old 05 January 2010, 09:44 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I must say, it's the best £170 (+£35pm) I've ever spent.

Use it for work, play and I'm sat here watching Cricket on Sky Sports on it.

There is an Apple event on 27th of this month - mainly for the tablet but I expect them to also announce a new iPhone (that will be available in June).

That said, if you're happy with the current 3GS, go for it. I have a 3G and am delighted with it still.
Old 05 January 2010, 12:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

As much as i hate to say it, its the way i'm going next

Ive been playing with an ipod touch for the last few weeks, and im hooked.

The only downside i can see is the lack of flash support, other than that i

cant find fault with it.

Mart
Old 05 January 2010, 12:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Good for you Mart. You'll love it, all the touch offers and a whole lot more.
Old 05 January 2010, 03:57 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my wife an i touch for xmas and I must say I am mightily impressed with it.
If I didnt have a works phone I would be very tempted with one.
Old 05 January 2010, 04:37 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
The only downside i can see is the lack of flash support, other than that i

cant find fault with it.

Mart
The other kind of flash (for the camera) too and it would be pretty much perfect IMHO.
Old 05 January 2010, 05:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Carry a torch instead?
Old 05 January 2010, 06:47 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Well that's a convincing yes

As I said its a long term purchase so I need it to be right.

Cost wise on Vodafone I'm looking at £30 a month for 300 mins unltd text and web with free vodafone to vodafone calls. I have to contribute £149 towards the 16gig handset.

Had a little read about the Nexus one that's due out but early reports suggest it will not compete with an I-phone so we will have to see on that one.

I had a look at the new HTC, its got a huge screen but windows mobile has put me off as its a bit too tecky for me.

My 8800 is starting to play up a little now after 4-5 years of use so I dont think it will last until June + the limited offer on unlimited vodafone to vodafone calls is tempting as the wife and kids are all on the same network.

I'm sold, I think! will order one this week for the first delivery's on Vodafone, for the 14th Jan

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05 January 2010, 07:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Nexus One is meant to be released very soon, the website can be found here. There are some specs on there, looks like it's some kind of HTC unit, or at least the 3D view of it shows HTC on the lower back of the case.

If you don't need a phone right away I'd certainly wait until the Nexus One is shipping and then have a play with it alongside an iPhone 3GS and see which one you prefer.

Shocking answer from an Apple Fanboy I know, who should simply be saying "get an iPhone!"
Old 05 January 2010, 08:10 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

new nokia n900 is available on voda from carphone whorehouse
Old 05 January 2010, 08:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nexus one is listed as available in Spring and looking at the specs is just another HTC, but Google are selling it. N900 is not in the same league.
Old 05 January 2010, 09:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Buy it. Perhaps consider the 32 gig as the longer you keep it the more you'll put on it.

I have to agree with that one. I filled an 8gig up quite quickly so deicided to go for a 16gig but I fear that may get filled quickly. I have noticed just how much space is left on my daughters 32gig touch after the same apps and similar sized music collection.
Old 05 January 2010, 09:30 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I've been using a Blackberry for two years (with work) and prior to that SPVs on Orange.

Recently I looked at options to replace the Blackberrys at work, including Android, Windows Mobile (primarily HTCs), Palm Pre and generic Nokias, but after playing with an iPhone, it was a no brainer.... and that's what the senior managers at work use (with the sales guys using Nokia E71s)

I am rapidly becoming a fanboy, even though I have been slating Mac users for years!!
Old 05 January 2010, 10:04 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I cant imagine needing that much memory, I thought 16 would be more than enough.

Originally Posted by stevebt
I have to agree with that one. I filled an 8gig up quite quickly so deicided to go for a 16gig but I fear that may get filled quickly. I have noticed just how much space is left on my daughters 32gig touch after the same apps and similar sized music collection.
The 32 gig is another £90 on top of the £147 is it worth it?

I thought I'd just be able to down load photo's and the like to free up some space if required.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Its well worth the extra £90 and even more so if you decided to sell it?? After you download a few games from the app store they soon use up space. I got 4 games I like and they took up nearly a gig. The likes of EA make really good games for the iphone which all seem to take up lots of space.

Last edited by stevebt; 05 January 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05 January 2010, 11:35 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I carry over 5,000 digital photos and every CD I've ever purchased on my 32gig. I can also fit in very detailed maps of large areas of the world for use in the most excellent Motion X GPS and I still had room for Lesbian Vampire Killers that Apple gave away over Christmas. Is it worth £90, oh yes.
Old 06 January 2010, 01:18 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by b road blaster
new nokia n900 is available on voda from carphone whorehouse
I like the look of that I jumped in too early and got the N97 so im stuck with that for 15 months
Old 06 January 2010, 08:08 AM
SiV6Si
Scooby Regular

I've had 2 incarnations of the iPhone the old 2G ( 16gb ) good phone but very limited on its network coverage, and now i have the 3Gs ( 32gb White ) Its a cracking phone, even more now that i've unlocked it, so once i've had enough of O2's prices i can quite simply put another Network providers Sim in to it...

The only fear i have with the phone, is dropping it... i had to repair the 2G before i sold it and it cost me £100 just for the screen ( as its has the digitiser glued to it )

Either way. It is a fantastic phone and very versatile
Old 06 January 2010, 08:29 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I've got the 32gb 3GS - very impressed with it indeed, compared to my old HTC Kaiser & Touch Pro, it is streets ahead. For a start, the touch screen actually works!

Things I don't like, The need to Jailbreak in order to use Flash on websites & tethering (without an extra charge). The inability to download things from the net is also a slight bug bear, but no great shakes.

It is still the best phone/gadget I've owned & lead me to buy an Apple computer - something that I'm also very impressed with.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:12 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I've had a 3G for nearly 2 years and just upgraded to a 3GS (which is significantly quicker) - it's the first time since I've owned mobiles that I've stuck with essentially the same model when I've renewed. Enough said really. I've not found anything that comes close to it in terms of functionality. My wife has just got one too.

It's not perfect, battery life still isn't fab and some people complain about the camera (although that is vastly improved on the 3GS too) and I have a nice Canon 40D for taking photos, so that hasn't really bothered me.

Google's new phone looks promising and the Android OS is great. It will take a while for it to catch up with the iPhone in terms of apps and developments and I would expect it to have a similar contract to that of the iPhone (where Apple get a cut of the monthly fees), so I don't think it will be significantly cheaper. I would hope that it would spur on Apple to further improve the iPhone in the future too.

I don't think you will go far wrong with a 3GS.

Chris
Old 06 January 2010, 09:59 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
It is still the best phone/gadget I've owned & lead me to buy an Apple computer - something that I'm also very impressed with.
Same here mate, me and the wife have had an iPhone for around 6 months and we now own a Macbook Pro and an AppleTV

I'm certainly no Apple fanboy but I do think their products are worth the premium price, I still discover cool little things about my Macbook everyday

Old 06 January 2010, 08:31 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Its well worth the extra £90 and even more so if you decided to sell it?? After you download a few games from the app store they soon use up space. I got 4 games I like and they took up nearly a gig. The likes of EA make really good games for the iphone which all seem to take up lots of space.
I'm not one for games TBH but I suppose it is better to have a little extra as you never know what might come out that requires a lot of memory.

I carry over 5,000 digital photos and every CD I've ever purchased on my 32gig. I can also fit in very detailed maps of large areas of the world for use in the most excellent Motion X GPS and I still had room for Lesbian Vampire Killers that Apple gave away over Christmas. Is it worth £90, oh yes.
Thats a lot of stuff you have loaded up for sure, how many gig has that taken up?
Old 06 January 2010, 08:37 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiV6Si
I've had 2 incarnations of the iPhone the old 2G ( 16gb ) good phone but very limited on its network coverage, and now i have the 3Gs ( 32gb White ) Its a cracking phone, even more now that i've unlocked it, so once i've had enough of O2's prices i can quite simply put another Network providers Sim in to it...

The only fear i have with the phone, is dropping it... i had to repair the 2G before i sold it and it cost me £100 just for the screen ( as its has the digitiser glued to it )

Either way. It is a fantastic phone and very versatile
I'll be fearful of dropping it as well, is it worth using the screen protectors and do they affect the performace of the touch screen?

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
I've got the 32gb 3GS - very impressed with it indeed, compared to my old HTC Kaiser & Touch Pro, it is streets ahead. For a start, the touch screen actually works!

Things I don't like, The need to Jailbreak in order to use Flash on websites & tethering (without an extra charge). The inability to download things from the net is also a slight bug bear, but no great shakes.

I hear the term jailbreak quite a lot , what does it mean?

Your all giving me loads of info here so thanks very much everyone
Old 06 January 2010, 09:11 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Screen protectors have no effect on the screen performance - well the Griffin ones don't, that is what I use.

Get a Griffin case & protector & you should be sorted, it's saved my bacon more than once.

Jailbreaking is when you bypass the Apple lockdown on the phone, giving you access to functionality & apps that Apple say no too.

Last edited by DJ_Jon; 06 January 2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:24 PM
gisalook
Scooby Regular

Default Yes

I've got the 32gig. It's the best phone I've had so far . The camera's a bit crap.
Old 06 January 2010, 09:48 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Jailbreak means to modify the iPhone so you have more control over what applications and other things can and are installed. Apple tightly restricts applications in the AppStore, for example, you will not find an app there that allows you to make voice calls using the cellular network as the phone companies would not get any money from this as you're not using your voice plan.

Jailbreaking also allows you to unlock the phone, thus allowing you to use it on any network. This was a bigger deal when there were only single carriers of the iPhone, but as there are multiple networks offering it there is more choice, however, having it fully unlocked is nice if you happen to travel to another country as you could pop in a PAYG sim for that country and thus avoid horrendous roaming charges.

Last edited by Markus; 06 January 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06 January 2010, 10:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If you buy your phone from O2 they will unlock it for you, no need to Jailbreak. If you Jailbreak your phone you open it up to all sorts of malicious software.

Quick Reply: I-Phone, should I?