Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Acer 5050 keeps turning off abruptly

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2009, 07:22 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Acer 5050 keeps turning off abruptly

Hello, the above running with Windows Home edition turns itself off when on battery power occasionally without warning even when the battery indicator is still into the 'several hours remaining'. If I was to press the on button the machine is completely dead, and when I plug it back into the mains it does switch back on but the machine is literally restarting, but it has also lost some of its cookies (if that’s the right terminology for areas that are prefilled out with information, such as log-ins to email etc). When I hover over the DC power indicator, it states bugger all % battery life, then when left for a few hours or overnight etc its then full again, but then the above repeats again.

Although this may not be related I bought an new battery for the laptop (one that’s currently in) about 9 months ago, its a higher capacity pucka battery and offers around 3-4hours of battery life when fully charged. There wasn’t anything wrong with the other battery I had other than its battery life was around 30mins. And up until now that laptop has been running great. Like I said it last anything up to 5 hours on battery life, but usually no less that 3 hours when fully charged depending what im doing.

Any ideas why it keeps doing this, or any checks I should run?

I have just set Avast off on a deep scan about half an hour ago and its 85% complete with no suspected issues yet.

I use my laptop for offsite Car graphic designs so it’s essential that I get the full battery life out of it.

Sorry for the long winded thread, but ive googled the problem and its not clear what it is.... If it were overheating then it wouldn’t turn back on with DC power straight after it shut down would it?

Thanks in anticipation
Rob
Old 31 December 2009, 02:18 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone? thanks
Old 31 December 2009, 03:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be a dodgy battery and the machine cannot correctly display the remaining battery life. Does this happen with the original battery, obviously the run-time will be less as it's lower capacity, but if it doesn't do the same thing it could point to the other battery being dodgy, if it does do the same thing it could point to the charging/battery system in the laptop being at fault.