Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes woes

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2009, 11:06 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iTunes woes

Stupidly didn't unsync my iPhone with the XP install before wiping it and installed Windows 7.
Up until that point the iPhone was syncing fine, everything on the phone was on iTunes.
Now however, the pics and apps aren't. I hadn't realised this for quite some while and now if I tick 'sync apps' in iTunes it warns me that all the apps and their data will be wiped off the phone and the apps in iTunes will be loaded on.
However, looking in the apps section on iTunes, it doesn't list any apps that I've bought recently (direct on the iphone). If I sync the phone and wipe it, will that mean I have to buy the apps again? I would have thought if I'd bought them then the iTunes would have downloaded them? it's using the same account.

What I really want it to do is sync the apps that are on the iphone with iTunes, not the other way round.

Help!
Old 29 December 2009, 11:25 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You should be able to download the apps again for free using the same account. It doesn't auto-download them as it doesn't know whether you want them anymore.

Didn't you back-up your music directory? That is where iTunes stores all the applications and downloaded stuff.

Steve
Old 29 December 2009, 11:44 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Make sure you do a back up of your iphone, just in case you wipe it completely.

Any Music you bought will have been wiped form you computer, but you can get programs that will let you read the music, vids & pics off your phone & store them on a different PC.
Old 29 December 2009, 11:48 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The music is on an external hard drive, I let iTunes sort the rest out.
I had to reload the music back on there after the reinstall. Just didn't think about the apps.
I looked in iTunes at a couple of the apps I'd bought via the iPhone, in the app store it still says Buy for 59p etc? I guess I could try one and see whether I get charged for it.
Old 29 December 2009, 01:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Here is the official word on how to get the apps back. As for pictures, what I'd suggest is getting DiskAid and you can connect to the Media partition of your iPhone, there should be a DCIM folder and that will contain all your photos, so you should be able to copy them off the phone.

Once you have your phone back to normal, I'd suggest going into iTunes and right clicking on the iPhone icon and select the "Backup iPhone" option which will back it up. It does not keep a record of music in the backup, but I believe it does record what apps you have, and certainly photos, text messages ,contacts and other settings.