Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wierd iPod problem - Disk cannot be read from or written to

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2009, 12:03 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd iPod problem - Disk cannot be read from or written to

During the recent (very) cold weather I left my iPod in the car when it -12 deg C. I then brought it into the house in the morning and it failed.

I did a restore and when synching my music back on it loaded up so many tracks and then stopped with the message 'Disk cannot be read from or written to'.

However the tracks and photos that had transferred worked perfectly.

I then went to the next stage, I put it in Disk Mode and connected it to my Mac and went into Disk Utility. I did a Verify, Repair and then Erase. All worked fine with no reported errors. The disk showing the full 80gb.

I then did a Restore (again) in iTunes and ran into the same problem. It loaded up so many tracks and then I got the fail error.

This time I ejected the iPod and reconnected. Lo and behold it continued to load up more tracks!!!!

I worked out that this is the first time I have done a bulk load and one cause if this message is a corrupt file.

So I isolated the file I think was an offending file and it plays fine on the Mac and was ripped from my own CD.

The moral of the tale is that if you get this message then simply reconnect and all could well be OK!!

If anyone has other advice for the techno-klutz then please fire away.

Trout
Old 29 December 2009, 02:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, if you do a bulk copy, excluding that one file, it's all fine? If so then it does sound as though it is that file. Obviously trash that file and re-rip it.

I have had this with my old 4th Gen iPod and it also turned out to be a bad file. I have also seen this when the drive on the machine is going as well. Disk Utility was useless, it said the iPod's disk was fine, which was utter tosh. iTunes would die trying to copy files to it, plus when I accessed it via terminal to try and copy a file to/from it, it failed with an I/O error, so I knew there was something bad going on.