Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OK What have Microsh!te done at my laptop now!

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2009, 10:40 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face OK What have Microsh!te done at my laptop now!

There was an automatic update the other day, and now my Media Player doesn't work and I have to input my details on here and everywhere else I visit every time I log on

Can anyone tell me what the tw@ts done now

And more importantly, how the **** do I undo it
Old 12 December 2009, 10:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You need the computer section mate, always had spot on advice on how to sort things in there
Old 12 December 2009, 10:45 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Not sure on what the update could have done, personally I have not yet encountered that one. I'd suggest system restore to take the machine to a point before the update. That should hopefully cure the issue.
Old 13 December 2009, 12:13 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice

Unfortunately, System Restore seems to have stopped working properly too

Doesn't matter which restore point I pick, even going back 12 months, it tells me that no changes have been made
Old 13 December 2009, 12:28 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

I would back up all your files & reformat. Or you could buy a Mac
Old 13 December 2009, 12:51 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Your first point I'm considering

The second? I'd rather take a hand full of wasps and shove them up my own rectal passage
Old 13 December 2009, 07:35 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have a Mac - I updated to Snow Leopard and it feels like it has turned into a Microsoft update as so many things now don't work properly for no reason at all!
Old 13 December 2009, 08:21 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Your first point I'm considering

The second? I'd rather take a hand full of wasps and shove them up my own rectal passage
Why??

You rant on about how ****e MS is, if you hate them that much then go to the next alternative...which is a Mac.

I bought a Macbook Pro a few weeks ago and it's great. Build quality is second to none and OS appears very stable, yes it's more expensive than your average £300 laptop but you get what you pay for IMO.

Old 13 December 2009, 10:49 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

There was an automatic update the other day, and now my Media Player doesn't work and I have to input my details on here and everywhere else I visit every time I log on

My sister in law asked me to look at her PC yesterday because media centre had stopped working. She reckond it packed in a couple weeks ago after a windows update.

It said the fault was code 30.(Googled it and there were quite a few solutions to look at)

I was able to restore to a point that was working before and it is now ok.
Old 13 December 2009, 10:58 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Ive been a windows user for 17 years and bought an iMac last week, yes it was expensive , but the build quality and the operating system blows windows 7 out of the water. Oh, and it runs windows if I need it to & way better than my old pc.
Old 13 December 2009, 12:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same happened to me CPD. It was a real nuisance because I could not allow the computer to boot up completely while I was doing something else. I never found out how to stop it doing that and the only way in the end was to re-install the OS over the old one.

Les
Old 13 December 2009, 02:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I have a Mac - I updated to Snow Leopard and it feels like it has turned into a Microsoft update as so many things now don't work properly for no reason at all!
I'd say it's probably due to SL being the first true 64-bit OS that Apple has released. From the interface side of things there have been a few changes, but it's under-the-hood where it's really changed quite a lot. It's more a release for the developers really, as it allows them to use updated and new technologies.
Alas this does mean some third party apps don't work, and even some of Apple's own stuff does not, as witnessed by your horrific Airport issue (You did get that addressed if I recall though?)

Interested to know what other issues you are having, perhaps another thread or a PM though, rather than hijacking this thread.
Old 13 December 2009, 02:38 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Hi Markus,

the Airport issue has not really gone away. If you search there are others sharing a similar DHCP issue to the one I have. It does seem to work with some networks and not others.

Parallels has a particular issue under Snow Leopard. When it works it works well but it keeps creating a new VM when I open it rather than opening the existing one. It is not a clone - a new wrapper.

All very discouraging.

Trout
Old 13 December 2009, 05:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Use Fusion then
Old 14 December 2009, 12:31 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Ive been a windows user for 17 years and bought an iMac last week, yes it was expensive , but the build quality and the operating system blows windows 7 out of the water. Oh, and it runs windows if I need it to & way better than my old pc.
Having used Leopard and Windows 7, how did the iMac blow Windows 7 out of the water? I ask as I hated the Mac OS that much, that it showed me the OS I should use is Windows 7!

I've been using Windows as long as you have, but I find Windows 7 unreliable when used with cheap/poor hardware (something Apple has right!), but I have reasonable Netbooks at home, use a good quality Dell (yes there is such a thing) laptop at work, and users at work have a mixture of good mid-range Dell workstations, and all use Windows 7 with very hiccups! We had teething problems with drivers but we were early adopters and all driver issues seem to be resolved.

I'm not an Apple hater as I was using an Apple IIe (my first computer) over 25 years ago, using Macs back in the day about 20 years ago!! - Thanks for making me feel old!!!
Old 14 December 2009, 07:36 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Well the computer didn't blow Windows 7 out of the water, but Snow Lepoard did. I use Win 7 on my main laptop & its an improvement on Vista, but still feels like Vista. XP is till where its at with regards to compatibility (for me) & ease of use.

As you said, Windows 7 is your OS of choice, which is fair enough. I'm finding that I'm able to do all of the things i could do in Windows, in OS X, but faster & with less problems. The only thing I'm having trouble with is getting my Lexmark printer to work.
Old 14 December 2009, 11:55 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

If other people made hardware you oculd install the MAC OS on, maybe they would do better.

The prices you pay for a Mac are outrageous. There is no way to justify that extra cost.

All IMO, of course

Geezer
Old 14 December 2009, 12:23 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Well you can install OS X on other hardware, but I agree that they are expensive. I will say that the build quality of the hardware is very good, so far for me anyway. I kinda sound like an Apple fanboi, but I have been very impressed with it so far.
Old 14 December 2009, 07:30 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There is a great quote from a MS executive who said that Win 7 was based on the best bit of the Mac. He was shouted down by the MS PR department. Funny nonetheless!