Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Getting on to Xbox live

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2009, 12:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting on to Xbox live

Hi all,

I thought it was about time I joined the Xbox live scene. I have tried before over the PC, but had the devils own job trying to get the 360 into the wireless network as it wouldn't let me configure the security protocols.

Recently got a Virgin connection (lovely fibre optics) at home, so now I have a network socket and modem in the PC room, and this gave me a brain wave (well for a technical ludite like me it's a brain wave ) Surely, if I just plug the ethernet cable supplied with the xbox directly into the back f the virgin modem, I should be up and running, no network security problems as the PC will be disconnected from the net to make room for the Xbox live connection.

Would that work as a "plug and play" option? Will the xbox auto adjust to the new settings, or will I have to tell it what to do?

Thanks for any advice offered and maybe I'll see one or two of you in the matrix!

Ns04
Old 05 November 2009, 01:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ive got a PS3 myself but if the Virgin modem has an ethernet port then yep just give it a whirl. You should be able to set your Xbox network settings as auto - may need to change from wireless to wired if you were trying wireless before.

Not sure why your PC was causing issues for your old wireless connection as surely you were connecting to some sort of wireless router connected to your old broadband?

Simon
Old 05 November 2009, 07:31 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

Would that work as a "plug and play" option? Will the xbox auto adjust to the new settings, or will I have to tell it what to do?

Thanks for any advice offered and maybe I'll see one or two of you in the matrix!

Ns04
Home Networking Basics

Bit of a carry on keep swapping the leads over though.
Old 08 November 2009, 02:56 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hi all,

I thought it was about time I joined the Xbox live scene. I have tried before over the PC, but had the devils own job trying to get the 360 into the wireless network as it wouldn't let me configure the security protocols.

Recently got a Virgin connection (lovely fibre optics) at home, so now I have a network socket and modem in the PC room, and this gave me a brain wave (well for a technical ludite like me it's a brain wave ) Surely, if I just plug the ethernet cable supplied with the xbox directly into the back f the virgin modem, I should be up and running, no network security problems as the PC will be disconnected from the net to make room for the Xbox live connection.

Ns04
You would probably have to reboot the cable modem each time you swapped it over, as the MAC address of teh device would change.

Far easier to get a router at plug into that.
Old 10 November 2009, 09:49 AM
New_scooby_04

Thanks all, just ordered a wireless router from Virgin (couldn't use the old ADSL one) and will try the wireless thing again or just plug the lead into the back of the router!
Old 10 November 2009, 10:56 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Just plug the lead in far easier and a lot faster