Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

strange high pitched clicking from motherboard - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2009, 03:03 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange high pitched clicking from motherboard - help!

I have noticed today, that there is a fast ticking noise coming from inside my pc whenever I use the mouse to drag something, eg, a drawing tool in Google Sketchup, or a blue box on the desktop to highlight something - but if I make a blue box in widonws explorer, it doesn't happen, (eg, in my pictures) . I have looked inside and got someone to move the mouse for me, and it seems to be coming from either the graphics card, or somewhere on the motherboard near the graphics card. Either way, its coming from near the I/O sockets. Its not very loud, and its quite fast - probably 10 clicks a second or something like that. a bit like a magnetic relay coming on and off extremly fast. At first I though it was static on the mouse mat, as it was 100% in time with the mouse movements, but its definatley not. I only built the pc in Feb' this year, so all components are new-ish and in warranty.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does it sound terminal? I have googled it and not found anyting similar to this.

cheers,
Scott.
Old 03 November 2009, 04:21 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check all your power sockets are in properly.

Is your PSU up to the job?

You haven't got loads of stuff on one 12v rail?