Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X360 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2009, 10:38 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X360 Steering Wheel

I'm thinking of investing in a steering wheel for my xbox 360 now that I've bought forza 3. I've had experience with a steering wheel before when I had Logitech Driving Force Pro (the 900-degree one) for the Playstation 2 and Gran Turismo. It was a simply outstanding wheel and made GT sooooo much more enjoyable. It seems that this wheel (which I no longer have) isn't xbox compatible however.

The most obvious choice seems to be the Mircosoft Wireless Steering Wheel. Has anyone got this wheel or used it? Has anyone used it with any of the Forza games and how does it hold up? I got stuck once I got into the R3 category of Forza 2 because I simply couldn't get the throttle moderation I needed from the pad and I blankly refused to put traction control on. I don't want that problem with F3 and I remember some epic drifting when I had the DFP wheel on GT2.

Also, what solutions have people come up with for mounting these wheels. Any thoughts on how this might work from the sofa? I've calculated that I need 55cm (minimum) of height to clear my knees and this sort of table would tick the box. Do you think it would be stable enough or is there something better? I had a look at ikea's site but couldn't find anything that was around the height I'd need.

Long post, phew. So to recap:

1. Which steering wheel should I buy for my x360, specifically for Forza 3 play.
2. Which table mounting solution would you recommend for a living room sofa set up (can't be too massive as I need to put it away when finished).
Old 24 October 2009, 11:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, may have a cheap but useful solution to the mounting problem.... Table Mate II

Does anyone know any (no doubt pikey) stores that might stock this to save me having to order one online?
Old 25 October 2009, 03:37 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I tried to use a tablemate (purchased online) for my MS wheel, I found it was too light and slid all over the place, it needs tacking down to a big bit of hardboard and then stick your chair on the hardboard I reckon.

I thought the MS wheel was superb, but I think it does vary depending on the game you use it on and I haven't tried it with my Forza 3 yet so can't help you.
Old 25 October 2009, 11:29 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

If you decide to go for the MS wheel I have a mint one which rarely been used that I'd let go.
Old 25 October 2009, 01:37 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The MS wheel is probably the best one out there for the 360. It is such a shame that the USB is locked down, as the Logitech G25 PC/PS3 wheel is flaming awesome.

I have not played Forza 2 on my MS wheel, but have been playing NFS Shift and it works well. Will get hold of Forza 3 and try that anyway as a matter of cause. I do have from good authority that the MS wheel is very good with Forza.
Old 25 October 2009, 03:26 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Went out and bought one today from 'Game'. I specifically mention them as they did me a good service by applying the £10 discount when you buy the wheel with Forza 3, even though I'd technically bought the game separately the day before. Sorry Dunk on not helping you with a sale but I took it into my head I wanted one and that means, NOW

So far I'm using the ironing board as my mount and it's a little too high at it's lowest setting. I read a bit more about table mate II and it's generally regarded as too flimsy, so I'll have to continue to research mounting options.

So far I'm impressed with the wheel. The force feedback isn't as strong as the logitech one I had a few years ago and I also miss the little sequential shifter that was on the logitech model. Nevertheless, it works well with Forza 3 and driving all the cars with the wheel in 'cockpit' view with the surround sound turned up high is really impressive.

I have to give credit where it's due to Turn 10 as well. Forza 3 is so realistic is so many ways. The first car I took out for a drive with the new wheel was a stock S2000. Firstly, it handles exactly like an S2000 (i.e. unforgiving ) and is a real twitchy fvcker despite not having much power to break the back end away. The most impressive element is the sound capture though as the engine sounds exactly like the real thing. So much so that I was changing gear perfectly within moment simply from the engine tone which becomes characteristically 'hard' in the last 500rpm on the S2000.

So, mounting solutions please...
Old 25 October 2009, 05:05 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want a wheel for F3

but i want one with a H pattern gearbox and clutch pedal.

as far as i can tell none are made that are compatible with the 360.

M$ suck!
Old 25 October 2009, 05:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Agree fmp. M$ should be shot for not allowing 3rd party peripherals to connect to the xbox. I want a Logitech G25 soooooo badly!!!
Old 25 October 2009, 05:49 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Dunk, pm me how much you want for your wheel mate
Old 25 October 2009, 06:21 PM
RickMezza
Scooby Newbie

These people confirm only the Microsoft wheel and Fanatec 911 wheel give force-feedback on Forza 3. This Fanatec wheel/pedals setup has a clutch aswell.
YouTube - Forza Motorsports 3 Review with Fanatec 911 Turbo S
Serious gaming setup they have...
oh and BTW Jessica
Old 25 October 2009, 09:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The 911 wheel is probably the best one, but it comes at a premium price, i nearly bought one myself, mainly because i thought my old logitech DFP was giving up the ghost, and you can buy a version of the 911 wheel that works on all platforms (hence justifying the extra cost to me)

I managed to fix the DFP pedals by cleaning them out, so never bothered in the end.
Reluctant to buy the MS wheel and end up with 2 steering wheels kicking about the place.
Old 26 October 2009, 04:17 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I want a Logitech G25 soooooo badly!!!
Unfortunately the G25 blows the MS wheel in to the weeds.... afaik it blows everything else as well, regardless of platform.

I have one for the PC, but have yet to try it on my PS3.... will leave that experience for GT5 I think!