Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDF/AutoCAD/SolidEdge file self destruct/security

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2009, 05:39 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDF/AutoCAD/SolidEdge file self destruct/security

Hi All

I'm trying to get my company to let me work from a remote office but they're exceptionally paranoid about data security. Not for confidentiality reasons just protection of intellectual property. Unfortunately this means all employees are mistrusted by default, so I'm losing already, but I'm hoping I can convince them that we could exchange files between offices securely.

I would be working mainly with AutoCAD and SolidEdge files, also PDF, Word, etc.

Firstly, is there some secure means of encrypting files and password protecting so that they can only be read by their intended reciprient? Just how much can you rely on this security? Any recommendations for idiot-proof software for this task (preferrably free or nearly, as ever!)

Secondly is there a way to make a file 'self destruct' after a period of time? Thus even if the file did fall into the wrong hands, at least it would only be useable for a week or whatever. I guess this would only work at all with PDFs since the contents of other files could just be copied out easily. Any suggestions anyway?

Cheers.
Old 11 October 2009, 08:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could look at PGP. They provide products that will encrypt files/emails, so that could be good enough. I've used the email encryption stuff a long time ago and it does work.

As for self-destruct, not sure it'll do that and to be honest I think that is overkill. If you're encrypting the file you'll need the key to decrypt it. Having said this though, you might be able to have an encryption key that expires after a certain time, so even if you have a valid key it won't work on the encrypted file.

Last edited by Markus; 11 October 2009 at 08:47 PM.