Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

A bit of good news for Markus

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2009, 01:48 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A bit of good news for Markus

Rogers' iPhone Exclusivity in Canada to End Next Month? [Updated] - Mac Rumors

Old 08 October 2009, 04:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this the other day, didn't bother posting as it wouldn't be of much use to the majority on here.

It is VERY good news, as it means that we will now have a choice. Unlike the UK and the US, and other countries too, where there were many GSM carriers, thus you could unlock and switch, in Canada the only GSM network was Rogers/Fido, so they had you over a barrel. No point phoning their retention department when trying to get a deal on an iPhone, they know you can't leave and go elsewhere.

Now, however, you will have choice, either officially or unofficially, and that's good.

Price of the phone will no doubt be the same across the networks, but the price plans might differ, but I doubt by much. I'd like to see if the other networks will have the rather nice $30/6GB per month deal that Rogers had for a limited time. So far, since getting the phone, total combined send/receive data is 550MB, and it's nice to have a very healthy buffer there. If I tethered the phone then I'm sure I'd get a heck of a lot closer to that limit.

Will I be switching? I doubt it. I'm on a 3 year contract and the early cancellation fee will be the max, which is $400, plus tax. Bell and Telus' plans would have to be very, very good indeed to make people jump, then again, being able to tell Rogers to **** off does appeal to many, myself included, primarily for the way I was treated when I wished to upgrade from a w200a to the iPhone 3G. As I wasn't hardware upgrade eligible, I'd have to pay the $400 to get out of my contract and then pay for the phone and start all over again. Nothing like migrating existing users is there?
AT&T at least allowed existing users to migrate over, but Rogers is well known for screwing the customer.

I'm also curious to see if this situation will aid the hackers any with creating an unlock. I don't think it will though, but you never know. I think it's all server based, ie; phone talks to Apple's servers to activate, thus unless you can crack that side of things, it's not going to help, and I recall trying to brute force the encryption stuff for that would take a heck of a long time.

What I'm hoping is that Apple decides to make the next iPhone unlocked out of the box, I can see Steve standing up and saying "We've listened to you all, and one thing that comes up time and time again is the carrier lock, well, today, with the iPhone 4G, we're changing that. The 4G will not be locked to any one carrier, you can use it with whatever network you like. Of course, we will still have our official carriers and these will be the only ones who'll provide features like Visual Voicemail, but other carriers may decide to sign up and become official carriers"

That would make sense, use it on T-Mobile, but not visual voicemail as they don't have the server side stuff to do it, unless they want to sign up with Apple. Thus there is still a little something exclusive for the official carriers.
Old 08 October 2009, 04:31 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

So after reading that essay from you, I assume you are pretty happy ??
Old 08 October 2009, 05:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, means that when the 4G comes out I might switch from Rogers to someone else, probably Bell, as I have phone service with them so could get a bundle deal and save money.

Also happy as more rain is on the way, this time it's blackra1n Though I am already on 3.1 via PT 3.1.3, but it'd be nice to fully upgrade to 3.1 and not have to use a custom ipsw that does not update the baseband. I don't need to unlock the phone, a jailbreak is just fine for me, but having the option is always nice, and given the above competition, a dodgy unlock might not be needed anyway as the competing networks may well be happy to activate your phone on their network, so why unlock.

Last edited by Markus; 08 October 2009 at 05:06 PM.