Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HELP: Mic not working on PC: Vista/SigmaTel

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2009, 04:24 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Mic not working on PC: Vista/SigmaTel

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a fix for the above.

The speakers work fine, but there is a problem with the microphone. From what I cant tell, its a problem with Windows Vista and the SigmaTel software which controls the speakers and microphone. It looks like its a well know issue. The problem I have is I cant access the Sound control panel fully, what I mean by that is when you open the sound control panel (Control Panel>Hardware & Sound>Sound) there are three tabs (Playback, Recording, Sounds). The Playback tab is fine and so is the Sounds tab. However, as soon as I click on the Recording tab, it crashes and wont let me open it properly. What happens is it opens and then shows three microphone options (Microphone, Rear Mic, Line-in Mic) Microphone is showing ‘unavailable’, Rear Mic showing ‘not working’, Line-In showing ‘available’).

As soon as I click on the Recording tab, it actually crashes. It wont let me click on either any of the options, the other two tabs or close it down. I have to go into task manager and ‘End Task’. What it does that it momentarily brings up an error message This Program Is Not Responding, then I click End Now, then get a brief message that says “Windows Shell Common Dll is not working”

I really dont want to format the machine as the back-up I'd have to do is a right pain in the a**. And I'm not even 100% certain that will fix it, as I've read there is an issue with SigmaTel and Vista

Cheers

Jeff